In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Atlanta Motor Speedway getting smaller!

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
In stead of lowering prices to fill the stands they're tearing them down so they don't look empty.

I just took these pictures about an hour ago on my way home and it looks like they could use someone that knows how to run a business in charge instead of just jacking up ticket prices. Why not let kids in for free up to 14 or 15 years old and lowing the prices about 30% for adults. They would probably have to build on instead of tearing down. These kids will spend more money on food and drinks and Tee Shirts than they would make on selling them tickets.

Anyway it a disgrace that they can't run a business any better than this.

DSCN0138_zpsjvifxakp.jpg

DSCN0136_zpss0hsezs8.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read the stands are being torn down due to tornado damage back in 2005. Did they not use those stands during this time? They plan on putting in a RV park. Cost over 3000.00 for a weekend?
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I've read they're tearing stands down at a lot of tracks due to low attendance. The Atlanta stands were repaired after the storm. There was nothing wrong with these except they were not filling them up.

They're taking out 18,000 seats at Talladega. They going to take out about 40,000 at Daytona. Phoenix is removing 20,000 seats too just to name a few.

http://autoweek.com/article/nascar-sprint-cup/nascar-grandstands-continue-shrink
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I remember going there when it was Atlanta International Raceway (1970's) and watching folks like Darrel Waltrip and Cale Yarborough banging fenders, back when it was real racing.

I was in the stands when Bobby Allison tore most of the front-stretch fence down - it looked like a can of sardines being rolled open.

If NASCAR were to return to racing instead of hosting an entertainment show, attendance would pick up.

I sneaked in there one Saturday night at about 3:00 AM (they didn't even have a gate to lock you out then) and took some laps in my little MGB. It would barely gain enough speed to stay up on the banking in the turns.

I guess I was on about my third lap when I met the blue lights at the start/finish line. They told me "Kid, get the hell outta here, we'd better not catch you out here again or we'll go have a talk with your father."

Those were the days.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    like talked about on here NASCAR had its days in the sun and its fading fast . with all the rules and big money sponsors ( tobacco company's ) and the fan base bailing out , we were on the slow down about the time when Dale Sr died after that we barley watched a race not that dale made the race just seemed like a point every one knows .
    as the saying goes put a fork in it its done
    so goes the collector market I remember when trying to get a new edition of a model of the new team / car and demand pushed prices crazy . now I think you pretty much have to give them away we have some I bought the kids still in there packages . I have not even looked at what there going for I would guess 5 or 10 cents on the dollar to what they were brining 5 years ago
    sad but like McDonald's they need to reinvent them self
    JMHO
  • Options
    proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiz1997
    I read the stands are being torn down due to tornado damage back in 2005. Did they not use those stands during this time? They plan on putting in a RV park. Cost over 3000.00 for a weekend?

Texas removed the whole top tier on the backstretch for rv camping a couple of years ago. Yes, it is pricey.
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bet they don't take any out at Indy.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Last time l went it cost me almost a days pay.. $17 for a ticket in 1970 and l was only making $2.97 hr at the Ship Yard...Too expensive then... Too expensive NOW...Back then they even had REAL CARS [:0]
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw that. Sad, I knew some guys with a suite in that corner. We will be down that way for a charity shoot the friday before the race.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 320090T
    Bet they don't take any out at Indy.
    I will take that bet. Indy has removed over 22,000 seats, Charlotte over 40,000, most all nascar tracks have removed thousands of seats. Attendance is so bad that in 2013 NASCAR announced they would no longer publish attendance at races
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When we went to Dover back in 88, the place was so packed, we had to stand. Two years ago, we thought we owned the place. Three quarters of the place was empty. I only went because my niece lives in Dover and gave me the tickets. Sad day for NASCAR. I loved it back when they didn't have restrictor plates and Dale and Bill were tearing up the track with blazing speeds. I remember seeing Micheal Waltrip going over the fence in turn three, driving the ugly yellow, country time lemon aid car.I think it was number 30.I might be going to Bristol this year with all my cousins. They asked. We will see. oakie.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    like talked about on here NASCAR had its days in the sun and its fading fast . with all the rules and big money sponsors ( tobacco company's ) and the fan base bailing out , we were on the slow down about the time when Dale Sr died after that we barley watched a race not that dale made the race just seemed like a point every one knows .
    so goes the collector market I remember when trying to get a new edition of a model of the new team / car and demand pushed prices crazy . now I think you pretty much have to give them away we have some I bought the kids still in there packages . I have not even looked at what there going for I would guess 5 or 10 cents on the dollar to what they were brining 5 years ago
    JMHO
    I would hate to be stuck with any of that stuff
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indy did it to put in a road course and a bike track, so yes I guess they did remove seats but not because of lower attendance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 320090T
    Indy did it to put in a road course and a bike track, so yes I guess they did remove seats but not because of lower attendance.
    Brickyard attendance dropped by more than 50% 2007 to 2012. Indy 500 attendance is down slightly over the past few years. However, tv viewership for the Indy 500 is down over 20% Since 2008
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Talk about cuttin off your nose,to spite your face!!![V]
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JMHO

I estimate I lost 7-8 K on those diecast cars and still have a bunch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    JMHO

I estimate I lost 7-8 K on those diecast cars and still have a bunch.
    Yeah it is sad... They over produced all of that stuff and then the fan base went away..There is just no market for all that nascar stuff anymore.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is just sad to see....[V]

I remember going to Michigan as a teenager. It was my parents yearly trip and they included me in on it the last few years they went. Gramps, my uncle, and great aunt all tagged along as well. You had to get to qualifying an hour early if you wanted to pick out a seat. The number of people walking around the merchandise stands and parking lots had to have come close to the number of people inside the track. It was just booming and then they got full of themselves.

I still love it, but things have changed.

Jon