In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reason I hate this place #8,635,901,448

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
So me and the wife are going to get lunch at a little Italian joint a couple of blocks from here. It's a pick up order and there's a pawn shop right next door that I've never been in so I go in to check it out. They've got a decent selection of guns and the long guns are behind the counter. I ask to see some of them and the fat broad behind the counter inquires as to whether I had my ID. Nope. Can't show you the guns, she replies. OK, so I go next door to get the wife (who has her ID) and bring her in. The owner (a fat greasy piece of white trash) steps out and inquires whether she'll be buying the gun for herself. NO, we just want to look right now I tell him. She can look, but I'm not allowed to touch the guns, he says. When I inquire as to why, he says "store policy." Since they're behind the counter and I'm closer to the door than he is, I might run out of the door and escape (not a difficult proposition to believe given the "shape" of the proprietor) with the gun. OK, how about you come around the counter and stand between me and door? (he had a freaking pistol on his hip, to boot) Nope. Still not in accordance with the store policy of having an ID. Apparently, it's form over substance yet again. If the purpose of surrendering your ID is to prevent theft, don't you think a real anti-theft measure such as an armed man standing between you and freedom would also suffice? Apparently not in Idiotville.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So? Sounds like you can buy a really nice gun for the price of a fake ID.[}:)]

Remember, he is bound by store policy, but you are not. Unless he has something really cool, and for a song, take your business elsewhere. And do be sure to let him know you could come back with an ID to buy, had he been willing to let you see if there was anything worth your time.
  • The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dunno---his store, his rules. Prolly has a sign that says "Reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." If he has a policy of "No ID, no touchee" what are you gonna do about it?? I'd suggest simply not go back. After all, it's a free country (sort of).
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, most store policies are created in response to the actions of the lowest end of their clientele. Decent customers have to pay for the actions of scumbags. That is why it is so important for us not to tolerate undesireable behavior in anyone. We all suffer for it.

Just call me "Griffin"

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    You should tell him that you'll have to see his ID before he can see yours - personal policy.

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because for all this guy knows, you are a felon and may not be permitted to purchase a gun at all.

Considering the kind of folks that probably make their way through his doors, asking for your ID isn't unreasonable.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    Because for all this guy knows, you are a felon and may not be permitted to purchase a gun at all.

Was he going to run a NICS on him before allowing him to touch a gun?

WARNING: DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE GUNS WITHOUT PROPER IDENTIFICATION. THIS MEANS YOU!
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah

Was he going to run a NICS on him before allowing him to touch a gun?

WARNING: DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE GUNS WITHOUT PROPER IDENTIFICATION. THIS MEANS YOU!

There is no need to be mean about it, but personally, I don't think asking to see someones ID before letting them handle firearms in a pawnshop is unreasonable. NICS isn't necessary, but maybe making sure the prospective buyer is of legal age and lives in state is worth something. . .especially depending on the area.

Think of it as a two-second integrity check. If you're an honest buyer, why are you afraid to give someone your name and address? Certainly looking at one behind glass is a different thing, but should they just put a gun into the hands of any schmoe who wants to pick one up? Particularly someone who says they *aren't* going to buy one? How does THAT make sense? If *you* owned a gun store, would you just a put a pistol into the hands of anyone who asked to see one? What if the person *looks* like a felon?

The two biggest dealers in my area won't even let you into the firearms section unless you have a firearms ID. If not, they can't legally sell you anything, so why should they waste their time with you and expose *themselves* to the liability that you might steal something or cause trouble? And these guys are as nice and professional as they come. . .I wouldn't hesitate to do business with any of them on just a handshake. I don't have a problem with it.
  • Heavy ChevyHeavy Chevy Member Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So,,,, how was lunch? [:D][}:)][;)]

Butch HC

Why me Lord,
    What did I ever do,
    To deserve even one,
    Of the heartaches I've known.