In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun fitting

djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
I'm going to a gun fitter today. Has anyone been through the process before? Any advice? How can I decide if the guy knows his stuff?

Comments

• ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he measures your inseam, you got the wrong guy[:p]
  • xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    what does a gunfittng person do?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    a Gun Fitter will measure your length of pull, the drop in the stock, the offset in the stock (left or right) Mostly done by shotgun buyers.. Never found it necessary to "Fit" a rifle except maybe length of pull.. That can be done by thicker recoil pads or spacers added..
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ltcdoty
    [:D]
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ltcdoty
    I donno, depends on which gun.
  • djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I went and I was happy. Next time I'll do it myself but I'm glad I went. I was seeing from left to right across the rib and I was seeing almost the whole rib.
    His solution was to sand down the comb little by little and adjust the fit against my face till it was dead bang on every time I mounted the gun. It was a very thick high comb. He asked me to aim the gun right at his eye so he could look down the barrel and see where my eye was. He also adjusted my posture and asked is that your usual stance? It turns out I had developed a odd head tilt (so I could see down the barrel properly) just for that gun without realizing it.
    If I encounter that problem again. I'll fix it myself.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    So if you lose weight in your face do you add material.[:o)]
  • djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That thing saw socking me in the jaw so I was willing to try anything?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If you are looking at the barrel of a shotgun when shooting you are not going to hit your target. Unless it is a stationary one where you can aim like using a rifle.. Maybe you need lessons on how to "POINT" a shotgun.
  • c133c133 Member Posts: 608 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take your hunting jacket/coat with you.