In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Zombie start date?

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in General Discussion
I was sitting here and got to thinking(yea, one of those days). What was the first sort of zombie propaganda, why has it multiplied so fast(other than being zombies). Was the "Serpant and the Rainbow" the beginning of the Zombie craze?

Are new mutant zombies forming that new special ammo? IE: Zombie Max or Armeggeden.

This forum needs some lighter subject material.

Comments

• Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    I think White Zombie was the first zombie movie back in 1932 with B?la Lugosi.

I think the current mainstream 'craze' began around the time of 28 days later and the dawn of the dead remake
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Serpent And The Rainbow" was mish-mash of real and fiction wih the thumb breakers of Haiti. Pretty place to visit but I'll be damned if I'd actually go.

As for the real "craze" I reckon when the zombies began to run instead of doing that mummy walk.

Also me going for donuts this moring was a light subject [:D].
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Zombies are for real!!!Even Hornady knows this..thats why I'm prepared for the coming zombie apocalypes[;)][:D]

k313503_bullets-20Zombie20Max.jpg
    zombiemax02.jpg
  • Options
    m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought some Z Max in .40 and .223. Wife thinks I'm nuts.
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Probably be a cool collector years down the road.quote:Originally posted by m88.358win

I bought some Z Max in .40 and .223. Wife thinks I'm nuts.
  • Options
    airbornerizzairbornerizz Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    White zombie in 1932 is the correct answer to when zombies started, but the term zombie didn't come till decades later
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The modern zombie craze probably has a combined and multidimensional genesis.

The blockbuster zombie flicks 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead remake certainly were one component of it, but then again, they wouldn't have been popular and made as much money as they did unless people were ALREADY interested in zombies before they were made. Movies are made as a result of trends, not as a way to start them.

The other force feeding into it is an unprecedented interest in survival scenarios and the apocalypse. Around the same time as zombies became popular, we saw a huge surge in popular interest in disaster preparedness, survival, economic collapse, etc. The "zombie apocalypse" meme became a fantastic shorthand way for thinking about a worst case, SHTF situation. As such, the zombie meme became even more popular as part of a kind of feedback loop: the more you thought about zombies, the more you thought about disaster preparedness, the more you thought about zombies, etc. and vice versa.

Lastly, zombies as a literary device are a fantastic and cheap way for budding movie makers to make social statements about human behavior and nature in a titular horror movie.