In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opinions on Remington 870 Express

spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
edited October 2006 in General Discussion
I went to a few gun stores today, looking for the 20-gauge that I'm wanting.

What are your thoughts on the 870 Express?

Comments

• Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a pump. [:(] [xx(]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have 2, have had several others. Quality was good. Reliability was very good. Not fancy, not super pretty, just a well made reliable shooter. Easy to take down for cleaning, action is simple and easy to maintain. Overall, I think they are great working guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Of course it is a pump. I'm one of those silly persons that actually prefer a pump.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, as pumps go, it's a good one. Personally, I wouldn't live next door to anybody who knows somebody who owns a pump. [;)] [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What's a fair price for one? I saw a NIB one today for $260.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    Well, as pumps go, it's a good one. Personally, I wouldn't live next door to anybody who knows somebody who owns a pump. [;)] [:D]

[:D][:D][:D][:D] I vote we not ever use the term "pump" on the forum again. from now on its one of "those" guns.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Four total in the safe....My sons and I all use them for whitetail hunting. I also have one for turkey hunting. Great reliable firearms.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spanielsells

I saw one the other day for about the same. A little less I think.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslovers
    quote:Originally posted by spanielsells

I saw one the other day for about the same. A little less I think.
    Cool.

I think I found the 20-gauge, now it is just a matter of selling the 12-gauge. [:)]
  • Options
    rmillrmill Member Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, $260 is about right. At least it's not ridiculously over priced. Heck, even a used one is gonna hit that $200 to $215 mark. Buy that bad body! I saw a group of rooster pheasants and some large northern green heads talking today, I think there is going to be a revolt! What REALLY worried me was the flock of lessor canadians that were hanging aorund on the fringes of the conversation. NEVER EVER trust a lessor canadian. So, get the express get some #5's and #6's for pheasant, some 3inch #3 steel for dux and JOIN THE FIGHT!
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have four 870 Wing Masters. I would always buy a used Wing Master over a new Express, about the same price if you shop around. They are a quite a bit nicer and getting harder to find. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sav99
    I have four 870 Wing Masters. I would always buy a used Wing Master over a new Express, about the same price if you shop around. They are a quite a bit nicer and getting harder to find. Just my 2 cents.
    Interesting, the two used Wingmasters that I saw today (went to three gun shops) were in the $400 range.
  • Options
    rmillrmill Member Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW! If you shops are GETTING $400 for a used wingmaster then the $260 Express is a better deal in your area than I initially thought. Used wingmasters in my world (obviously depending on the many variations) are in that $300 range. Now a brand new one is in the $475 range, but used can be as low as $250 for a full choker 30 inch. Good luck. Now GET to buying!
  • Options
    Gunners762Gunners762 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used the Wingmaster and the Express and never had any problems. I've had my Wingmaster since 1981 and still going strong.
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    My 870 Express was a single shot. Biggest POS jamming thing I ever owned. The finish melted and ran after leaving it in the sun. I sold it to a guy I did not like[:)]

Buy an old Wingmaster or another brand. Life is too short to shoot ugly shotguns with actions like gravel.

Benelli Nova is 10 times the gun for the same price.
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the 870 Wingmaster. Better quality than the Express. Checked out two Express models, brothers used them dove/duck hunting for three years. The frame rails were worn razor sharp.

-
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never been a remington fan,and I cant tell you why . Just something about the look or feel. personally if I couldnt find an old ithaca I'd buy a mossberg
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got no opinion whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    I got no opinion whatsoever.
    Thanks for sharing. [;)]
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ithica sure, but
    870 is the best pump gun in the world
    I think mossberg blows
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    saw a wingmaster at the used gun rack for 250.00 i think it is going home with me as sons grad present it is june but i am starting early.
  • Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    870 all the way
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good gun. got an 870 20 ga. express that'll outlive me and prolly everone else.