In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Concealed carry--What to buy?

eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
edited April 2005 in General Discussion
Caliber, model, style, whatever. Just be reasonable--no Desert Eagles--I don't wear parachute pants. Thanks

O Lord,
grant me the Serenity
to accept the things
I cannot change
the courage to change the things I can,
and the supreme firepower to make the difference.

Comments

• MRBEANMRBEAN Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last sunday, I shot a Firestorm .380, as well as, .40 S&W. The .40's recoil was a little morte than I want to get used to, but LOVED the .380! Without a doubt, I will own one(probably before the year's out). Still need to research/try more makes/models/calibers before I settle on which to carry(and get my license). It'll take some time, for both of us, but should be an interesting trip! BTW, firestorm-sgs.com should get ya there.[;)]

bean.gifTo the rich, everything is a neccessity. To the poor, everything is a luxury
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kahr PM9 anything smaller probably won't do the job if it is ever needed.

Anything bigger, you probably won't carry regularly
  • BittersweatBittersweat Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got 2 questions...What is your favorite pistol to shoot, you know, the one you can point with your eyes closed ?
    What does the compact version of this pistol look like ?

[:D]
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you decided if you want a semiautomatic or a revolver? If you want a revolver, it's hard to beat a S&W J frame in .357. If you want a pistol, I'd go with one of the short 1911's.

01USNoff.bmp02USNesws.jpg03CWO3USN.jpg04USNal.jpg05USNfra.jpg06USNnra.jpg07USNvssa.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glock 30.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JamesRK is on the right track...

If I may offer some additional comment....

A hammerless, lightweight, revolver is what you want for 'everyday'. Why? You WILL carry it, on the way to get the paper at the curb, the milk at the corner store, while you are mowing the yard!!!

Nice to have the option of the 357 ammo. However, you MUST practice REGULARLY with the weapon, carrying it in the manner you do every day (holster, pocket, etc.). Let me tell you, you WILL NOT be putting two boxes of practice through a lightweight if you are using 357 ammo that you load when you carry!!! You can use a 357 lightweight but fire two boxes of 38 +P in a practice session. Having the option of 357 is nice...

If there is existing/known trouble in the neighborhood/community/city/county then, YES you want a semi-auto and extra mags. Same deal... small enough to make it convenient to carry-so you WILL have it on you. Ammo cost and recoil sufficient that you can fire two boxes (minimum) in your practice sessions. Sessions should be at a MINIMUM (more is better) of every two months.

Just my 2 cents. I like the S&W Titaniums.[8D]

SEMPER FI
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Glock Model 27, .40 cal.

Glock009.jpg

WW2Guns005.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    My carry weapons: Colt Officers Enhanced .45; Walther PP .380; Glock 9mm, S&W Chiefs Special, .38+P, North American Arms .22.

The one I carry the most often is my Seecamp .32. I love this little pocket gun. Very reliable, small enough to carry anywhere. In So.FL, I'm usually in T-shirts and shorts or jeans. I don't like to carry in a fanny pack, thats too obvious.
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt Defender. .45
  • allrndcowboy123allrndcowboy123 Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a Colt lightweight commander or a Para P-13. A .45 will put them on the ground every time! Never a problem with either weapon. The COlt is a little mor expensive than the Para. You can get a P-13 for around $500 on GB. The colt will run at least $600.
  • ArmaliteA4ArmaliteA4 Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a 2340 Sigpro in .357 Sig. 13 rounds,124 gr hp,1370 fps with 517 ft lbs of energy.

Compare that to some of the other recommendations above.
    The pistol is as reliable as possible, shoots better than you will let it, and will hide anywhere but an ankle.
    [^]

You may take the most gallant sailor,the most intrepid airman,or the most audacious soldier,put them together at a table.
    What do you get?
    The sum of their fears
    -Winston Churchhill

As Marines, our message to our foes has essentially always been the same, "We own this side of the street! Threaten my country or our allies and we will come over to your side of the street, burn your hut down, then whisper in your ear, "Can you hear me now?"..... And then secure your heartbeat.
    A Marine
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig P-229 .357,P-239 .357sig or .40,9MM or the Beretta 9000s 9MM or .40 S&W.The Beretta has a 10 shot capacity in 9MM and .40 and isnt much bigger than a .380 in size.Good Luck!

Best!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How big of a boy are you?
    What kind of clothes do you wear?
    How large of a gun can you hide?
    How/where are you going to carry it?
    Revolver or semi?
    What do you shoot now?
    How much $$ are you willing to spend?

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    How big of a boy are you?
    What kind of clothes do you wear?
    How large of a gun can you hide?
    How/where are you going to carry it?
    Revolver or semi?
    What do you shoot now?
    How much $$ are you willing to spend?

The gene pool needs chlorine.

-Heavy set on a smaller frame (yeah, I know it doesn't make sense)
    -t-shirt and jeans
    -Probably ankle holster
    -depends on what I can get
    -shot a Walther 9mm (disappointed), would probably go bigger. Recoil is not a major concern for me (let it hurt the next morning)
    -Less than $400, ideally

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
  • young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in the mentioned price rangr try this.....
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=31259481

SA ability without the snag of a hammer
    you can get the all titanium model for a little more money and that cuts the weight down the about 15-17oz I think
    +P rated
    and this one you should be able to put on your ankle

my .02

imay not know it all.....but at least I know that!
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    glock 26

carry a g22 mag as your spare

nremtpatch.jpgmyoffice.jpgEMT1.jpg

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation on this is a bad thing.
    Turret mounted machine guns usually work better than lights and sirens
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although I've been threatened with * harm on several ocassions by several disgruntled customers, there is an implicit no gun policy at my place of work. That's why I carry a Seecamp .32 ACP in my front pocket while at the office, and a Kimber Ultra CDP 3" barrel in .45 ACP while at play.

2002-05-21-shark.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis".
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you usually wear T-shirt and jeans, have you given much thought to the method of carry? There is a holster called the SmartCarryr which will hide a handgun with almost any clothing. This is a link to their Website. www.smartcarry.com

01USNoff.bmp02USNesws.jpg03CWO3USN.jpg04USNal.jpg05USNfra.jpg06USNnra.jpg07USNvssa.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • gitthatdawg2gitthatdawg2 Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the keltec 380 or 32 for a pocket carry just enough to get you back to the real gun I just baught a tuarus millennium pro in 9mm 12+1 it seems to be a easy carry but i looked at the kahr line and they are almost as little as the keltec. for around 500.00 the kahr are sloid guns for around 300.00 the taurus seem to be nice but the keltec with the pocket clip added you can carry in your tighty whites it will go any where with you and 380 with some good ammo is better than nothing or a knife or a club and it will even beat 2 or 3 unarmed guys. one thing about carrying is if you dont have it with you if doesnt matter what it is.
  • WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    If you're looking for a pocket gun, try a Kel-Tec P-11. 9mm, 10 rnds, light weight, and won't break the budget. I've never had a problem with mine.

"If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for my spelling mistakes!" -- Larry the Cable Guy
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get what fits your hand. You should be able to point it naturally, like it was a part of your hand. This dictates accuracy in a high-stress, self-defense situation. This allows you to hit your target, with is the whole point, after all. Make, caliber, finish, all that is secondary. Get a reliable make, and a reasonably powerful caliber (no .22 or .25), sure, but it's all for naught if you can't fire accurately in the midst of an intense adrenaline rush.

After that consideration, I would take the CHEAPEST one that met your qualifications. If you have to shoot someone, in all probability the cops will sieze it, and you may never see it again. Don't use your grampa's WWII .45, or your $1600 Kimber. Save your money for your lawyer, you may need it.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pick had some good questions that need to be considered. I'm a small guy. I can't hide a Tec-9! I carry a KelTec P-32 in the summer. Sure it's just a .32 but it's very light and thin. I can carry it all day and hardly know it's there. I'm not going to drop anyone except with a lucky shot. My thought is if anyone gets hit even with a .32 he will think "oh bababooey this hurts" and from then on I can outrun him. Some will disagree. I know if I'm dealing with a coke-head I better hit him more than once.

In the cold months where I have more clothing on I have a Ruger SP101, short barrel, hammerless, 357, SS. It's a one shot piece unless you hit the guy in the toe! It's much heavier and fatter. I am not comfortable with it for an all day carry.

I feel there is not one piece for every circumstance. Basicly if you are not comfortable with your choice you will end up not carrying anything.

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • needmygunsneedmyguns Member Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how about the new ruger alaskan 454 casull with i think the 4 inch barrel oh ya just grit your teeth and hang on [:D][:D][:D][:D]

JESUS SAVES
  • eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by needmyguns
    how about the new ruger alaskan 454 casull with i think the 4 inch barrel oh ya just grit your teeth and hang on [:D][:D][:D][:D]

JESUS SAVES

Why not get the 2" S&W .500 while I'm at it? I don't need a wrist after all.

Seriously, though. Springfield XD's just seem to fit perfectly, but I'd like to get a bit smaller and cheaper.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
  • RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eastwood44mag
    Caliber, model, style, whatever. Just be reasonable--no Desert Eagles--I don't wear parachute pants. Thanks

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change

Since I understand you want stopping power, small/concealment size and adequate round count. Here is my favorite. Para/Ord 14-40/10mm LDA. Mine is loaded with fifteen 10mm Cor-Bon 135 gr. JHP moving at 1400+ fps. It is a gun the size of a Colt's Officers Model, and its a 1911 in double action only. The cost may be a little more than you are probably wanting to pay at over a thousand dollars, but what is your life worth? [:D][:D][:D][8D][8D][^]

Para-OrdLDA002.jpg

edited November -1
    Here is my favorite CCW reolver, the S&W 340pd with CTC laser grips:

SW%20340PD%20Right%20Lasergrip%20CloseSM.JPG

It is VERY light weight and offers good stopping power in a small, reliable easy to conceal package.

As far as semi-auto, there are two I like. The first is the HK P7M8:

HKP7M8BlackRubberSM.jpg

The HK is a 9mm that is very safe to carry and quick to bring into action.

And in .45, the best package I have found is the Glock 30:

Glock%2030%20Left%20Small.JPG

This gun fits very well in the small of the back and offers the advantage of .45. Pretty easy to conceal, though a little heavy.

HAPPY HUNTING! Let us know how it comes out.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no expert, but a good revolver loaded with either 357 or 38 special +P semi-jacketed hollow points would be your best bet. A Ruger SP 101 or Charter Arms 38 (or something similar) would be ideal. Small, reliable, functional. A revolver has an advantage you'll never get in an automatic, no matter how good: simplicity. No safeties, no chambering a round, no change of pull from DA to SA. you can load it and forget it since there's no magazine spring to go bad from being under tension for too long. Also, reliability. Fewer moving parts means fewer things to break and no worries about a stovepipe jam in the ejection port. Remember, Keep It Simple. An auto may give you more ammo to throw at them, but if you're gonna be in a situation where you need more than 5 or 6 rounds, you'd be better off just carrying a 12 gauge in plain view.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.