In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Growth industries

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
In my small town there are no less than 3 new dentists opening up right now and I see a new mattress commercial on tv every time i turn around.

Why are these the new hot fields?

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    I see a new mattress commercial on tv every time i turn around.

Quit turning around. Don
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,375 ******
    edited November -1
    Mattress collecting is becoming VERY popular![:D]
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better three new dentists than three new lawyers!! OOOPS!! Well, you know what I mean!![:D]
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better three new dentists than three new lawyers!! OOOPS!! Well, you know what I mean!![:D]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see things working well for dentists here in the Mid-Atlantic. Setting up a new practice is expensive, the overhead is a killer. My solo dentists have joined groups, where they have the economy of scale.

Friend had his teeth cleaned. The "dental hygienist" turned out to be a DDS who needed to support a family but couldn't afford to set up a practice.

There's new technology (mini implants, crowns made with a 3D printer), less pain (oral sedation), so new patients who would otherwise go with dentures. But, everything is expensive. And, most states have little or no Medicaid money for dental care; if you are poor, there are few options.

The traditional mattress companies now have to compete with mail order "mattress in a box" companies. Advertising is a must.

Neal
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chewing ice in U.S. (knew I should NOT chew ice) and broke a filling.

Never did get a price in the U.S. they would NOT even estimate before seeing $80 + worth of xrays.

WTH: Waited until I returned to south america and my extremely attractive female dentist put in another filling and charged $18 bucks. No. xray, 10 minutes or less in the chair.

So,, maybe there aren't a lot of patients who can pay $300 for $20 dollars worth of work. Thus, hard to return the high investment to get started.

Doctors the same,, there is one xray clinic that everyone uses. Go take the xray and come back to the dentist / doctor. There are "traveling" dental surgeons doing procedures in local dental offices. Seems this could be lucrative in the U.S. live in a larger town and service the surrounding area.

Root canal, seems I remember around $100, but that was 5 years ago. The dental surgeon had his own "nurse" that comes with him,, a 10 if there ever was one.
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dental is not a great business for a single practitioner.

Average is about $50K per chair. This takes into account the chair, cabinetry, equipment in the treatment room, digital X-ray equipment and sterilizer for the instruments. This can be much higher in NYC or California or Chicago...etc.

Malpractice insurance is not cheap and if you want to offer sedation to patients it goes up quickly.

And if a family has to cut back on expenses, dental is one of the first things they will neglect well before they refuse to buy a new car or boat or take a vacation.

Not a good business to be in just starting out with student loans. It was very easy for me to recruit dental school students in their senior year to join the Air Force and let us pay off their student loans in exchange for 4 years in uniform.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

The pawn shop industry is NOT a growth industry.

Over the past several years there have been quite a few that closed up and now only two nearby.

Nationally, a great many have closed from what I've read. Some believe the governments huge welfare giveaway is the reason. ???

I've heard crazier theories