In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Construction Advise Please

misstmisst Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in General Discussion
Getting ready to close in my attached garage. Son says I need a chain wall and need to cut a trench in the slab to do it. Can't pour it on top, it would leak. Who do I call? A cement guy? And are there any other solutions? Water does blow into the garage when it rains.

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by misst
    Water does blow into the garage when it rains.

Shut the door. Don
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is a chain wall?
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Yeah What Allen Said ???quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    What is a chain wall?
  • misstmisst Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe I'm not using the right term. He wants me to cut a trench in the slab a couple of inches wide and pour a concrete ledge about 3" higher than the slab across the opening to keep water from seeping in.
  • scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you also have a detached garage?

Is the garage floor level with the floor of the room that you enter the main house into?

There are a few different ways to "do it right", some more permanent than others. Personally, I would never enclose an attached garage to add living space unless I also had a detached garage. You're dropping the value of the house by as much as 20%, depending on your area.
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    But If You aren't Parking a Car in there Anymore Your Homeowners/ Fire Insurance Goes Down[;)]
    edited November -1
    Going to add a storage shed in back. Not worried about the value, I'm not going anywhere. Been there 35 years, house is old and not worth much anyway, I just really need the extra space. GArage floor is 3" lower than house slab. I know I could pour another slab on top to raise it but would rather not.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    French drain.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Then, call a builder in to give you a quote on the job. Have him itemize the materials and labor.

The proper thing to do would be to raise the garage floor. A 3" step is a tripping hazard and may not meet code for your area. A new sub-floor can be framed and insulated very easily.

ETA...unless you are far away from prying eyes, you will want to do everything to code, for safety and longevity, of course, but also because you will likely need permits to do the work and building inspector OK each phase of the job.
  • UNIVERSITY50UNIVERSITY50 Member Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure of you height difference, but neighbor just enclosed his. They county inspector made him dig down to orginal foundation to build up to current block height. His garage floor was two steps down from interior house floor. They made him put in post out of the garage floor that had been dug down through the floor with a cemment base added and build a wooden floor at interior level. He end up with a crawl space under the whole garage/family room addition. He ran all his heating and pumbing in the crawl space. He said if he had to do it again he would do a new construction addition off of house instead of conversion.
  • SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you are talking about a curb wall. Not sure how far the outside grade is down from the slab but if your using wood siding you need to be at least 6 inches from dirt with it. Also sound like your closing in an attached carport to make it an enclosed garage?. My buddy just did one using some flashing behind his aluminum siding to cover the joint then lapped down over the joint it to seal it up real good
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've also heard them called a stem wall. It's used to raise the top of the mud sill above grade. It raises the wood up above grade to keep seepage from hitting the walls and rotting out the wood underneath.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sawz
    Sounds like you are talking about a curb wall. Not sure how far the outside grade is down from the slab but if your using wood siding you need to be at least 6 inches from dirt with it. Also sound like your closing in an attached carport to make it an enclosed garage?. My buddy just did one using some flashing behind his aluminum siding to cover the joint then lapped down over the joint it to seal it up real good

No, it's a double attached garage. Driveway leads up to it. Maybe that's what my son was talking about, a curb wall. He's worried about water blowing inside during a storm. Not making this living quarters, just a work shop. Want it insulated and dry but nothing fancy.
    He thinks that if you just put the curb wall on top of the slab, water will still seep in. Curb wall will not seal to slab.