In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rugers KP345 and the New Ranch Rifle

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in General Discussion
I have heard more negative reports on this Handgun than any other Gun ever released in its short time frame.Ive heard of fail to eject and many cases of failure to feed,stove pipe jams.One case where the slide fails to chamber a round on any given round there's no pattern.I bought one of the new MK III 22/45 Goverment target .22LR pistols and its a tac driver.It came with a rail to mount a scope on.If I get time to chase any Bushy tails this yr,it just might be the pistol I take.Has anyone here bought or heard similar story's about the KP 345?I have to admit to me its a nice looking gun,I hope Ruger admits there is a problem if indeed there is.And corrects it.On a much larger note I see they have made the sights on the Mini-14 Ranch (Mini-14 is no longer in production)so no one can put on a muzzle break/flash suppressor on the guns by moveing the front sight forward and putting wide blades on it.I dont know if Ruger did this to further move their Rifles from the bad rifle class or what.I do know I wont be buying a new Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.[B)]

Edited to change error of the Model no.of the PC345 to correct it to KP-345!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"

Comments

• Options
    diznuffdiznuff Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well I dont know about a "PC345"? but 3 days ago I bought a KP345PR and it works like a charm. Yes there was a problem with the earlier models with FTF and such but that was with earlier guns with certain serial numbers. Ruger offered to fix the problem free of charge S&H included. Like I said I've had no problem and I love my P345.

_bm.jpg God is good. God is great.
    Only God can make a Boatswain's Mate!
  • Options
    diznuffdiznuff Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if its all over for Ruger but yes I agree there is a slight downward slope but hey its probablly just growing pains.

_bm.jpg God is good. God is great.
    Only God can make a Boatswain's Mate!
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah bought mine about a week and a half ago love that thing. shot it side ways, rapid fire, thing wouldn't jam or anything. athough my triger is very touchy after that first pull. i know its double action but just seems to touchy know what i mean. shoots good. want a good gun get it

take away my guns, use knifes, take away my knifes, use rocks, take away rocks,i starve, sorry for u BRITS out there
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a decent gunsmith can mill out enough of the front sight to install a flash hider and still maintain it's integrity.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    I bought a kp345r a while back and never had a problem with it.
    Limp wristed shootersseem to have the problems you mention with just about all models though.

ALL AMERICAN INFIDEL
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reports on the new mini have been very good as far as improvements in the accuracy department. As for the front sight there are 3 options 1 wait for aftermarket suppliers to comeout with brakes/flash hiders that work with the new sight location, 2 have a new slot milled in your barrel for the front sight pin and use existing mini 14 brakes and flash hiders, 3 have the end of the barrel threaded for 1/2-28 and use any one of a number of products designed for use with the AR's.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    I have a low serial numbered model and wonder if I have one with an issue. I currently can not fire it at my location until I have a State issued permit and register it with the mafia here which will take 8-10 weeks. So I don't even know if she cycles properly.

Does anyone know what serial numbers are effected?
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last new Rugers I bought were sent back.

The quality control on these revolvers really bit the bag big time so much that two blind monkeys without thumbs could have caught the defects.

These guns were a 45lc/ac vaquero 5 1/2 and .357 blackhawk 6 1/2.

My dealings with Ruger custmer service was less than satisfactory and was like pulling teeth to get the guns replaced, and no I did not want the two pieces of new "junk" that I paid retail for repaired and returned to me.

After a few months the guns were finally replaced and since then , after 40 years of buying and shooting Rugers, I will no longer purchase any Ruger product manufactured after dear ole Bill departed this earth.

geronimo2.bmp
    Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    I'm doing some searching on the net to see if others have had problems with the 345. Some have ones that the magazine disconnect doesn't work. That fancy thing ruger put it so it wouldn't fire with a mag out of it.

Guess you take a pencil and put the eraser end in the barrel, see if it 'fires' without the mag. If the pencil flies across the room (from the firing pin hitting it), the magazine disconnect doesn't work.

on rugerforum.com people are having the following problems:
    -while firing you get a click- no primer strike...that's bad
    -with the manual safety on pull the trigger, sometimes the hammer drops
    -magazine feeding issue- guess you have to change the mag follower, folks are saying you can use a 1911 follower but lose a round in the mag
    -alot that are sent in for repairs have to fill out a paper so Ruger can destroy the old one and send them a new one.

I wonder if people are breaking them by leaving the mags out and dry firing them...causing the damage. Firing pin hitting the internal block.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was wanting one of the KP345PR,the one with the rail,the gun store I frequent had a couple in stock,they ask me NOT to buy one,since I have been a loyal customer they stated they did not want to sell me a problem firearm and everyone of these they had sold had some problem,some minor,some major.I changed my mind anyway after handling one and trying to use the safty,its way too hard to move,I have a couple of the P series but they all have the decocker not a safty
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharpshooter039
    I was wanting one of the KP345PR,the one with the rail,the gun store I frequent had a couple in stock,they ask me NOT to buy one,since I have been a loyal customer they stated they did not want to sell me a problem firearm and everyone of these they had sold had some problem,some minor,some major.

the early models had problems, ruger has fixed what ever was wrong, the new models won't jam, can shoot it any way possible without any problems, good accuracy. I have shot over 1000 rds threw it without any problems. The KP345PR is a good gun at a good price. By the way it fits nicely in the hands for a person with big hands. good balance with full mag. got any questions go here its a Ruger forum
    www.rugerforum.com

take away my guns, use knifes, take away my knifes, use rocks, take away rocks,i starve, sorry for u BRITS out there
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Red223
    I have a low serial numbered model and wonder if I have one with an issue. I currently can not fire it at my location until I have a State issued permit and register it with the mafia here which will take 8-10 weeks. So I don't even know if she cycles properly.

Does anyone know what serial numbers are effected?

i know the first ones to come out had problems from what i read just send it back to ruger and they will fix it or just send u a new pistol from what i have read on post here is a good forum for ruger

www.rugerforum.com