In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Most of you guys wouldn't last 5 minutes...

Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2009 in General Discussion
Posting on another forum some wuss was all excited because his wife "gave permission" for him to buy a new rifle. Weeelll... I HAD to comment on that one with some sarcastic remark about not wanting a wife who demanded that I obtain her permission to buy something for myself.

Next thing I know I'm getting a private message from a moderator (you think the mods are TA around here... you have NO IDEA!) advising me that I have been assessed one "infraction" for insulting a member's wife. Hey, I didn't insult the guy's wife, I insulted him. But whatever. Apparently 5 infractions gets you banned.

Great. Now I'm on double secret probation. Moi?

My first thought was how many of you guys (you know who you are) would get the boot from that place within 5 minutes of joining. What I said to that guy was NOTHING compared to the stuff that flies around here on a regular basis.

Comments

• Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    So you complain that site is too harsh, and this one is too lenient? perfect!
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Saxon Pig
    Posting on another forum some wuss was all excited because his wife "gave permission" for him to buy a new rifle. Weeelll... I HAD to comment on that one with some sarcastic remark about not wanting a wife who demanded that I obtain her permission to buy something for myself.

Next thing I know I'm getting a private message from a moderator (you think the mods are TA around here... you have NO IDEA!) advising me that I have been assessed one "infraction" for insulting a member's wife. Hey, I didn't insult the guy's wife, I insulted him. But whatever. Apparently 5 infractions gets you banned.

My first thought was how many of you guys (you know who you are) would get the boot from that place within 5 minutes of joining. What I said to that guy was NOTHING compared to the stuff that flies around here on a regular basis.

Five minutes???? You give me too much credit. Don
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    im surprised i havent been kicked off of here yet.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel
    So you complain that site is too harsh, and this one is too lenient? perfect!

Some times he feels like a nut.....
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, now you GOTTA tell us what site this was...[}:)]
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I want to go there and get kicked off.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

Hell, give me admin status and we can do it here. Don
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    There's life beyond Gunbroker?
  • burn1bobburn1bob Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why don't you have your other 4 infractions yet?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1

[:D] Me too

SP...All differences aside, I truly meant it when I congratulated you on your 3rd Dan. That is quite an accomplishment in the Japanese Arts.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Apparently 5 infractions gets you banned.After that BS I'd make the asolute most of my next four. [;)]
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1

That would be a nice treat, eh?
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

[:D] Me too

SP...All differences aside, I truly meant it when I congratulated you on your 3rd Dan. That is quite an accomplishment in the Japanese Arts.

Once again, that would be a great vent.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen Saxon Pig posting on a S&W forum site(I am there under a different id than here--I go under seattleM29 there) and he has been nothing but nice there--very informative and great pics. I think some folks just need to grow a thicker skin.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It makes my skin crawl to hear a guy talk about how his wife "gave permission" for him to do something.
    I don't ask permission from women.
    Little boys get permission from their Mommies.
  • wild cat manwild cat man Member Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    she probably was makeing all the money
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Women have half of the money and all of the ***** [;)]
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    I don't ask permission, but we do discuss with each other any major purchase before we make it. And for me, a $500 + rifle or pistol is a major purchase. To us anyway, it's just common sense to do so.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iluvguns
    I don't ask permission, but we do discuss with each other any major purchase before we make it. And for me, a $500 + rifle or pistol is a major purchase. To us anyway, it's just common sense to do so.
    Have to agree with you, and I don't really give a damn if anyone things I'm a "wimp" because of such a discussion.

Fact is, she can burn through the money just as easily as I can. We both have desires for things that can be pricey. If we don't discuss "big" purchases (and, for me, $500 is a big purchase), then we all get what we want and at the end of the month, there's no money to pay the bills.

Hell, even at the office, we discuss "big" purchases. Have to make sure that nobody is planning to purchase a new copy machine when we need that money to buy more inventory. Again, this only makes good fiscal snese.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a search for Saxonpig and it shows several other forums he posts on regularly with pretty high post counts. I don't see how he has the time.
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not saying that a husband should not take family situations into consideration. What I was really commenting about was the way the guy phrased it, making it sound like he reported to hiw wife for daily instruction. Whining to the mods about that mean SaxonPig insulting him doesn't raise his bar on the Man-O-Meter in my book, either.

In my case my wife and I both work, we have our own hobbies we pursue, and the general understanding is that as long as we have the money and the expenditure doesn't put us in any sort of a bind then we spend money as we see fit.

Everybody will have his own guidelines based on his personal situation. To me, I feel comfortable spending $500 if I want to buy something. More than that and I have to give it some thought. Over a grand causes me some anxiety and frankly I don't spend that much very ofetn. Very rarely, in fact. The one exception was a couple years ago when a S&W Registered Magnum was offered for sale. Asking price was $3,000 which would normally be way out of my range for consideration. To me this is a LOT of money. But I wanted that gun badly. The bills were paid, I had cash to spare in the bank, and after about 10 minutes of anguishing over it I grabbed it.

I told my wife that night not sure how she would react. She gulped... hard... and then laughed out loud. After I once told her that she would sell the guns for a profit when I was dead she stopped fretting about it.

BTW- I posted a photo of that gun on the S&W Forum (where some really serious collectors hang out) and immediately received several offers to buy the gun at $5,000. Turned out to be a good investment after all.
    edited November -1
    All of my posts on all forums combined doesn't approach the post count of the top 10 members, here. I think I'm sort of in the middle of the road when it comes to forum participation.
    edited November -1
    I know all of you "Macho" men in here always get in the last word with your wives and that usually is "YES DEAR"...[:D][:D][:D][;)][}:)][}:)]
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe we should all go over there to that forum and post "cumby-yah" for a couple hours.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got an idea.

Let's all go there, raise a ruckus, and get SP 4 more demerits.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crap, I was expecting pictures.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    what the addy, I wanna go test my luck[:p] Besides it might be fun to pick on the unsuspecting for awhile[}:)]
  • oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a lot easier to get forgiveness than permission.
  • BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So let me get this straight

You go onto a forum anonymously, so that nobody can tell who you are. Hidden by that anonymity, you make disparaging comments, and when you are reminded that you will be held accountable for your actions, that's "bad"? Do I have that right?

I read how accountability and the lack of the same is a problem in the USA...this Pol won't do what he promised, that one lied, this one gets away with whatever he likes and npbody calls him on it, nobody takes responsibility, its not their fault, etc etc

so...are you happy with the idea that you were held accountable for what you did, or unhappy about it?
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    My wife likes guns as much as I do. She also understands that quality firearms are a good investment.
  • GRIZZLY17GRIZZLY17 Member Posts: 1,676
    edited November -1
    I got kicked off the big 1911 forum in about 2 days for some stupid bs. The mods there are crazy.
  • BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GRIZZLY17
    I got kicked off the big 1911 forum in about 2 days for some stupid bs. The mods there are crazy.

1911.org?

Very strict there, yes. Heaven forbid you post about anything that doesn't fall into their neat little cubbyholes

But..that's how they run it. Lots of good info over there, any way you look at it
    edited November -1
    I don't mind playing by the rules.

I just think that the rules can be too strict.

I happen to think they are a little loose here.

I think they are wound WAY too tightly on the other forum.

And what gets me the most is the notion of the original wuss running to the mods crying that I said something mean. He should see some of the email I got from GB members. He doesn't know what mean is...
  • glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    So what is the name of the site.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshermit

So a little boy and a little girl are hanging out together, being typical kids. The little boy decides to play doctor and scoots behind the bushes with the little girl. He drops his drawers and proudly announces to her "I've got one of these and you don't!" Whereupon the little girl drops here drawers and says "Oh yeh - well I've got one of these and that means I can get as many of those as I want"......

I think this is pretty much everything we need to know about men & women. [:D]
  • Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    Saxon Pig
    None of us would make it 5 minutes and your bragging that you made it 6 minutes ?

( only poking at ya now )
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    quote:Originally posted by woodshermit

So a little boy and a little girl are hanging out together, being typical kids. The little boy decides to play doctor and scoots behind the bushes with the little girl. He drops his drawers and proudly announces to her "I've got one of these and you don't!" Whereupon the little girl drops here drawers and says "Oh yeh - well I've got one of these and that means I can get as many of those as I want"......

I think this is pretty much everything we need to know about men & women. [:D]

As an old boss of mine used to say about women

" if it wasn't for their snappers, we'd hunt them for bounty"'

He used a different word than "snapper"

Needless to say, he was going through a nasty divorce
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...The 1911 forum has some good info, and some of the lamest members of any site Ive seen. I was a member there for awhile and left because I couldnt stand the majority of people...gun snobs, members of the Village Idiots Guild...thats, the place they congregate...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    Did the Mod that warned you go by the handle "Ranchero *&%#"? [:0][;)][}:)][:D][:o)]

• feuriofeurio Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is the exchange that led to my latest ban, in a discussion of the poll I posted on TheFiringLine: "Is your handgun a Rolex or a Timex?"

Tamara: Incidentally, my handguns are neither Rolexes nor Timexes nor Voodoo Dolls nor Avatars of my Self-Image: They're fricken' pistols. [:X]

larvatus: This sentiment would be better borne out by the early modern Silesian spelling, pisschulle, as per the recently revised OED entry with "whistle, pipe, flute" in its definientia.

[...]

Tamara: Michael is our local proof that a Harvard sheepskin is no protection from being a victim of successful marketing. [;)]

larvatus: Would it be uncantabridgian to retort that the proof of a whistle flows from blowing it?

Today's system message:
    quote: You have been banned for the following reason:
    trolling; rudeness; personal attack ("*" is a personal attack, even when phrased in polysyllabic drapings)

Date the ban will be lifted: Never