In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chesapeake Bay Retriever

tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
Once again, I am soliciting advice and opinion from my friends here on GB. Please feel free to offer any advice or opinion on the following situation.

For Christmas last year we gave our boys 2 & 4 a male CBR puppy. They promptly named him Christmas.

He has grown in to a beautiful dark brown Chessie and we love him to death. He is wonderful (albeit rambunctous) with the boys and really a loving sweet dog .....with us.

We have him fenced in on 4 acres with an invisable fence and it works well keeping him in.

Here is the problem. He is VERY aggressive with visitors. Yesterday he chased someone onto the top of thier car. The postman willl no longer bring packages to the door. Forget about trash pickup.

here are my questions

#1 will he get more aggressive?
#2 is he liable to become aggressive with my children?
#3 will neutering help?

I look forward to hearing from those of you that train dogs as well as just opinions.

Thomas

***Father, Husband, and all around Nice Guy***

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,999 ******
    edited November -1
    1. YES
    2. NO
    3. OUCH[xx(](MAYBE)
    HE IS JUST PROTECTING HIS TURF AND FAMILY
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    May not get any more aggressive but maybe he will. He is simply protecting his family which is his job to do. Will he be a liability? Very possibly so, but think about this... would you rather be sued or have one of your children possibly be hurt by an outsider? I have seen dogs calm down by being nutered but have never seen one become more or less agressive.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FCD I agree with you on some point but I thnk every dog is different. Just like my two. Gus my lab a stern talking to and put him in a corner and you would think we beat him for a week. Now Blu my catahoula (which are just as strong willed as any CBR I have seen) you can kennel him all you want...NOTHING...and I mean NOTHNG works outside of an electronic collar. He is not anymore aggressive than Gus is and we keep a collar on him( blu) 24/7 for correction.

I really dont think anyone of us can say do this or do that with a dog that we have never interacted with. I would suggest getting a licensed trainer WITH REFRENCES to come and help with the CBR if you think you have a problem. I would never punish my dog for protecting his domain.

Barking to them is just like owning a gun is to us.

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Awwe just beat the crap out of him....

Just jokein' don't be haten'

[;)]

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man I would LOVE to have a chessie!!!! I've got a springer now and she needs a play buddie!!

To calm my dog down, I take her on runs with me. You'd be amazed how docile a hyper dog will be after trottin along with you for four miles[xx(][xx(] hehe

If it dont work out, you can always refer to the shark fishing post[:0][:0][:0] (joking)

jumpmaster.bmp
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    Hey RR...I told you to quit rubbing your 5 mile runs in. Soe of us fat people don't like to WALK 5 miles!

***Father, Husband, and all around Nice Guy***
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tacking, Man you must not have seen me before lol. Me running 5 miles is kinda like watching a train wreck in slow motion. I run because I HAVE to. If I don't then I wont be able to funtion lol.

Not rubbin your face in it bud, just tryin to help[:D]

jumpmaster.bmp
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    gagirl,

A catahoula is a completely different breed of dog than a CBR!! Comparing training methods between these two dogs is like comparing preparation for golf and preparation for ice hockey. A herding, or baying, dog is not the same 'breed of cat' as a retriever.

You cannot use an e-collar to correct aggression. It will only make the situation worse. And, the existing wireless fence may even be contributing to some of that problem. Chesapeakes are very intelligent dogs. They are also very proud, sometimes to the point of fault, which is where some of their 'attitude' stems from.

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

No crap I know they are two different dogs. I said that a Catahoula is just as stong willed as a CBR. I have also owned both breeds and trained mine and others too. My main point was that non of us here can say what is makeing the dog agressive or how to train or not to train any dog that we have not seen. To even suggest training methods to correct probles for an unknown dog is irresponsible at best. You have to know the dog before you can sucessfully train the dog.

Also FYI Catahoulas are also retrieving dogs and are used as duck dogs. Catahoulas and Chessies are more alike than you think.

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FCD nailed it! It is the basic commands of sit, stay, heel, come that will work to keep him in line.

I have a 5 month old Lab female, and she is a bit hyper when she first comes out of her kennel/cage. However, when I tell her to sit, she sits. When I tell her to come, she does that too. Immediately. Heel is proving to be more difficult to get her to do, but have the fix for that in mind. Sophie, the Lab, is a bit reticent about greeting people we allow in the house, but will stand at the front window and keep an eye on anyone walking or jogging by. Not a bad trait.

Neutering will probably calm him down a little, but it won't curb the aggression. Just work and demand the fundamentals. Food rewards will work good along with praise and petting. When they don't do what you want, just glare at them. Then turn and walk away. Hitting or spanking them only makes them shy of sudden hand movements and makes them more wary of you.

Just my two cents worth

John

A penny saved is a congressional oversight!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well,..I live in the atlantic flyway and in one of the prime duck hunting spots on the east coast. Labs of all kinds are almost in every house here. The cheapeake has a propensity for aggresiveness. The majority I have met and hunted with were that way. You are probably too late for training that out. A shock collar works well for most any large dogs. My yellow lab female is a loving dog to people,..but WILL NOT share her territory with other dogs. I can't hunt her around other dogs[B)] Labs are very intelligent animals,..their personality can be complex. Chessie's have that aggressive tendency so you will most likely have to be on alert for visitors.

spaying did nothing for mine BTW. I do doubt the turning on a family member though,..the pack mentality should prevent that. The kids are smaller members of the pack and WILL be protected. My rottweiller took to sleeping at the foot of the crib when my son came along and was also protective of the yellow lab as a puppy. The kids should be pretty safe.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe a formal introduction to the Postman and normal people that are around? You bring the Mailman with you to see the dog (leased of course).

Just a thought

"Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it." - Me

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/

EMCFRtn.jpgEMT.jpg
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.