In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dave W, and those who gave me advice...

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
edited January 2006 in General Discussion
I've decided I'm going to go with it and start the great american past-time.....reloading. Mainly for my 40 S&W, father-in-laws 357/38, and I'll try a friend's 6.5JAP.

I decided to go with the Lee Anniversary kit which has everything including the Challenger Press.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&id=0003080210524a&navCount=3&podId=0003080&parentId=cat20847&navAction=push&catalogCode=XF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20847&hasJS=true

My wife is getting(letting me order) me everything I need to start reloading, for my 22nd birthday in March. Including powder, primers, ammo storage boxes, and bullets. I can find brass at a local shop for much cheaper than online.

I have one last question: on the item description it says....
"The shell holders included in this kit function with the Lee Auto-Prime tool only. Shell holders for use in the press with reloading dies are not included."
Can anyone elaborate a little.

Which of these dies do I need to purchase for the 40S&W? I'm confused between a couple.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?rid=&indexId=cat20847&navAction=push&navCount=22&cmCat=noValue&parentType=index&parentId=cat20847&id=0012803

Thanks to everyone(especially Dave W, Chunkstyle, and Divecop) who gave me their advice. I'm looking forward to getting started and will let everyone know how it goes.
Thanks again!
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Get the carbide dies. All I use foe straight walled cases. .357 for me. But, you don't have to lube the cases.
    edited November -1
    The primeing tool uses it's own shell holder. That is the piece that holds the shell on the primer tool.

The shell holder for the press is different.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bsally
    Get the carbide dies. All I use foe straight walled cases. .357 for me. But, you don't have to lube the cases.

What's the difference between the Carbide and Carbide four pistol set.

Does the carbide four pistol set contain four dies of the same???
    edited November -1
    I believe the for die set has a seperate crimping die.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bsally
    The primeing tool uses it's own shell holder. That is the piece that holds the shell on the primer tool.

The shell holder for the press is different.

Do I need to buy a shell holder for the press? It says it is not included.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    That would be them
    And no problem. Keep em comming if ya have them
  • ibffsteveibffsteve Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Do I need to buy a shell holder for the press? It says it is not included.

If you get Lee die sets, the shell holder for the press comes with the dies.
  • dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Follow the advice about the carbide dies. If you don't start with them, you will most likely trade for them sooner or later. Save yourself some aggravation, as well as a lot of time and mess, and get them from the start.[:)]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like everyone has you going on the right track, you'll enjoy it. Send me your email address and I'll get some .40 357, and .38 special brass into a box for you, at least enough to keep you busy once your press shows up. Carbide dies are the way to go. Let us know if you have any questions. You'll enjoy it.
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Everything you need will come with the kit as long as you purchase Lee brand dies. Get carbide only, no lube required. I think you made the right choice. Its a great way to learn about the art of reloading. Im a year into it and Im learning something everytime. Those progressive ones seem a bit much to me at times. Besides, its really relaxing and taking alot of time isnt such a bad thing anyway. After you do it a few times, you can become quite proficient at it once you establish a routine.

Welcome to reloading!!
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    You have already got the best advice in the suggestion to get the carbide dies.
    Worth every penny extra they cost.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    Sounds like everyone has you going on the right track, you'll enjoy it. Send me your email address and I'll get some .40 357, and .38 special brass into a box for you, at least enough to keep you busy once your press shows up. Carbide dies are the way to go. Let us know if you have any questions. You'll enjoy it.

Dave, (and everyone else)

While your generosity is greatly appreciated, the information you suppied me was more than enough to get me started. I couldn't possibly ask for any brass, let alone 3 different calibers. Shucks, I couldn't ask from anything more from you guys. You supplied me with first hand customer information that will prove invaluble(sp?). I know I'll have more questions later, all I can ask is that you help me answer those also.

You all make me happy and proud to be a member of this site!