In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Yellowstone Bourbon

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,037 ******
edited September 2016 in General Discussion
I never heard of it until last Saturday.

It was a silent auction item at a fundraiser (Heritage Dinner) for the Audie Murphy/American Cotton Museum.

Estimated retail value was $40, which I thought was pretty cheap for a 1.75L bottle. I bid and bought it for $35.

Later, I was talking with the lady who had donated the bottle to the auction. She is in her 80s, and said the bottle was one that her father left her when he died, and it had been setting, unopened, in her cabinet for over 30 years.

Another attendee told me that Yellowstone is comparable to Maker's Mark, and is a very good bourbon.

I still haven't tried it, but I have a feeling my 1.75 liter bottle is worth more than $40.

Comments

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope it is still good after all these years. Heck, it might even be better for it!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you done quite well. That is not 1.75 litre

http://www.maxliquor.com/category-s/1940.htm
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,233 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a teen Yellowstone was the bourbon you bought when you could not afford anything else.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    while in the process of moving lately I found a bottle of crown royal that was given to my wife when she graduated high school over 30 years ago. It still has the seal over the cap and has not been opened. Too bad neither of us drink crown royal.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maker's runs about $40/1.75 so it should be comparable.

Not to piss in your swill, but makers is a very over rated bourbon. I hope it's better than that! [8]
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Winston Bode
    while in the process of moving lately I found a bottle of crown royal that was given to my wife when she graduated high school over 30 years ago. It still has the seal over the cap and has not been opened. Too bad neither of us drink crown royal.

I'll take care of that! Let me send you my mailing address...
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I drank Yellowstone while in high school. Two more I drank that you never heard of, Old Cabin Still and Cascade. All good sour mash bourbons. In the same price range of Old Crow.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soooo... Are ya gonna post up a link to the auction or not?
    [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The auction was last Saturday, and you had to be there.

I opened the bottle this evening. It's OK. Not the smoothest I ever had, but not bad.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    The auction was last Saturday, and you had to be there.

I opened the bottle this evening. It's OK. Not the smoothest I ever had, but not bad.

Your auction, to sell it on GB.
    Nobody will bid on it now that you've opened it![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't buy it to sell; I bought it to try.

I'm still seeking a truly smooth bourbon. Many years ago, in the kitchen of an ex-brother-in-law who shall remain nameless, after dinner, we had a drink of the smoothest bourbon I ever tasted. There was no burn. It went down like cognac. My host said that it was quite expensive, and he could not afford it, but he got it as a gift. I failed to note the brand name, and have regretted it ever since.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,069 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim Beam is the smoothest I have found yet. There used to be a bunch of Bourbon labels all bottled by the same company. My favorite was Chapin and Gore. Drank a few bottles of that with a good friend in the 70's.

With Bourbon, like many things, there is really no objective best, only your personal favorite.

I like Old Overholt better than and more expensive Rye. Not the most complex, but the smoothest.
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to pay a visit to Bardstown, KY for the Bourbon Festival.https://www.kybourbonfestival.com/ You'll hear discussions of brands you've never heard of and won't ever hear of again[:D]

I'm not a bourbon drinker but living on the edge of "Bourbon Country" I hear a lot about it.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Basil Hayden.
    Very smooth!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dave, For an inexpensive (about $35 for 750ml) very smooth bourbon go with
    Evan Williams Single Barrel. I like my bourbon neat or over ice and I usually drink Blantons or Elijah Craig. This Evan Williams is every bit as smooth and about half the price of the other two.
    You can thank me later.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't this the time of year they release the bourbon?

You might get a bottle of Four Roses, Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old is about 2500 a bottle I think!

I'll drink Beam.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    Isn't this the time of year they release the bourbon?

You might get a bottle of Four Roses, Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old is about 2500 a bottle I think!

I'll drink Beam.

Yes, September is national Bourbon month. It is good to be a Kentuckian.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    David,
    I am not a bourbon connesouir by any means, but years ago I guided a couple old boys from Oklahoma and Texas for a couple consecutive years and they would bring a case of half gallons of. WL WELLERS SPECIAL RESERVE. Being 6 jugs in a case.
    What they didn't polish off of a evening after the horses and guns were put up, they left for snakebite medicine for camp.

It may have just been the high country Wyoming water out of the Wyoming range, but that was some hootch that Capn Midnight would have even said was Smoother than a school Marms thigh.

Never had any before or since, but it was good.

Mule
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Big prizewinner, local to me, is Brown Sugar Bourbon, from Heritage Distilling, here in my hometown. $30.00 per 750ml bottle...

Sounds interesting, so will probably get one right quick.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We participated in a charity shoot this summer for Make a Wish foundation and after the shooting was done we were served lunch made by some Celebrity TV Chefs, had some fancy cigars (Cubans even) and a special bourbon tasting event. The "cheap stuff" was Woodford Reserve the rest of it were mostly brands I have never heard of. But they were awesome!
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Jim Beam is the smoothest I have found yet. There used to be a bunch of Bourbon labels all bottled by the same company. My favorite was Chapin and Gore. Drank a few bottles of that with a good friend in the 70's.

With Bourbon, like many things, there is really no objective best, only your personal favorite.

I like Old Overholt better than and more expensive Rye. Not the most complex, but the smoothest.

A lot of truth here. After having everything from $6 to $500 Bourbons, there are 8-10 VERY good choices from $13-30, what I consider the budget range.

My most recent find in that price range is Old Grand Dad 114 at about $28.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.