In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

About what is happening with all the 22 ammo

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in General Discussion
my ammo dealer explained it to me like this tonight. The government is buying millions of round of 22 lr ammo and shredding it, and then burying it in a land fill in Arizona. He showed me and my friend a picture of it. The man is honest, so I tend to believe him. Is it true or not, I don't know. The pictures could be photo shopped. I am just repeating what he told me. He received about 100 cases of federal 22's and 500 cases of cci 22's. All of it is sold already except a few cases which he sold me one. He is also going to sell me a case of federals when they come back in, in about two months. I need them for the pistol league but not all of it. When it comes in, I will let you guys know and sell a few boxes for cost. I will only sell to you if they are for your kids or grand kids to shoot. I will take your word for it.These are the rules. He said the bricks were some wheres between 13 to 15 dollars a brick. I will sell two of them. I want to share with my GB family members. Oakie

Comments

• Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, almost true. I heard from my barber's partner's wife's cousin's nephew's girl friend that the shredded bullets are going by truck to Roswell to feed the alien POW's we have had there since their ship was brought down by our secret deframinating ray cannon. She had no reason to lie to me so I think it's true. [:)]
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Any way possible to post the pix U mentioned? I would really like to see what U saw John..It's not that I doubt OUR government would do such a thing. Let's just say i am a little skeptical..SUnza bitchez!![:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Any way possible to post the pix U mentioned? I would really like to see what U saw John..It's not that I doubt OUR government would do such a thing. Let's just say i am a little skeptical..SUnza bitchez!![:(!]

No jeff, He just showed them to us and put them back in his brief case. Like I said, I don't know if they were photo shopped or not. I just took his word for it cause he has no reason to deceive me. he is the ammo dealer for all the police departments of South Jersey. We got talking about it and he reached into his brief case and pulled out the photo. Our Gov. really sucks if they are doing this.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like nonsense to me. What possible motive would the Govt have for doing that.
  • Options
    saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    my ammo dealer explained it to me like this tonight. The government is buying millions of round of 22 lr ammo and shredding it, and then burying it in a land fill in Arizona. He showed me and my friend a picture of it. The man is honest, so I tend to believe him. Is it true or not, I don't know. The pictures could be photo shopped. I am just repeating what he told me. He received about 100 cases of federal 22's and 500 cases of cci 22's. All of it is sold already except a few cases which he sold me one. He is also going to sell me a case of federals when they come back in, in about two months. I need them for the pistol league but not all of it. When it comes in, I will let you guys know and sell a few boxes for cost. I will only sell to you if they are for your kids or grand kids to shoot. I will take your word for it.These are the rules. He said the bricks were some wheres between 13 to 15 dollars a brick. I will sell two of them. I want to share with my GB family members. Oakie

Oakie, very nice of you to offer to share when you get some extra, but I doubt that guy will be getting anymore ammo at all. The black helicopters are likely descending on him as I type this.

Seriously though, what was shown in the picture, a landfill, or a bullet shredding machine? Theres a pretty significant difference between those two despite how intricately they can be related in folklore.[;)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by saserby

Oakie, very nice of you to offer to share when you get some extra, but I doubt that guy will be getting anymore ammo at all. The black helicopters are likely descending on him as I type this.

Seriously though, what was shown in the picture, a landfill, or a bullet shredding machine? Theres a pretty significant difference between those two despite how intricately they can be related in folklore.[;)][:D]

It was a close up of 22 cases with the lead bullets grounded up in a pile at a land fill. Just shredded brass. That's why I thought it was photo shopped but I took him for his word. Didn't bother to ask where he got the photo. I will have to ask him when I see him next time. Who knows what the hell is going on. All this ammo is going some wheres and it's sure not out to the general public. I am just glad I got some from him. You do see more and more becoming available though.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    If the .22 manufacturers are truly working at MAX. output, it has to be going somewhere.
    My mind keeps telling me that the Gov. is BROKE so,their's no way they are buying ammo of any kind,just to shred it up.
    Then it hits me that their spending OUR MONEY TO DO IT!!!![V][V][:(!]
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Here's where most of it is [xx(][:(!]
    This guy has been selling it by the thousands [:0][B)][:(!]
    Check him out [:(!]

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=389998648
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how could you shred it without it going off, it is rimfire???
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well everyone here has said .22lr is the go to last ditch ammo for survival- Maybe a few hundred million people feel that way...
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they must have a small army lined up at all the stores or has a heck of a inside connection to have that much 22 for sale [V]

quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,932 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He sure does have lots of .22's for sale.
  • Options
    PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simone: Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's full of BS
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is out there, only it is either being bought out in quantity or it is everybody has a friend that has access to it before it hits the shelves. The massive profit margin involved right now is the biggest problem. At some point the market will be saturated like the .223 5.56 market and pricing will have to come down. Its amazing how much is on the auction side right now, and the price is steadily coming down. You have to figure in the new owners of firearms that have no clue on what ammo costs or did cost before hand. I don't like conspiracies but I feel it is another "commodity being manipulated".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    He's full of BS

Yeah your right keyboard camondo-[;)]maybe you ought to go back and read again, you know, the part where I said is it true or not, I don't know. But I guess you just skimmed through the post.
  • Options
    dipitsdipits Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wish I could find them at 13--15 per brick.
    I am having kids drop out of 4-H shooting sports due to
    parents won't pay the price or can't find any at all.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1

That seller has 93,827 rounds for sale. That is one seller out of many. For example:

26 auctions for .22 Short listed under "Rifle Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Rifle-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000013

3 auctions for .22 Short listed under "Pistol Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Pistol-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000013

1219 auctions for .22 LR listed under "Rifle Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Rifle-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000011

96 auctions for .22 LR listed under "Pistol Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Pistol-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000011

53 auctions for .22 Magnum listed under "Rifle Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Rifle-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000012

15 auctions for .22 Magnum listed under "Pistol Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Pistol-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000012

139 auctions for .22 WMR listed under "Rifle Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Rifle-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000014

18 auctions for .22 WMR listed under "Pistol Ammo":
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Pistol-Ammunition/BI.aspx?ca=5000014

There is no shortage of .22 ammo. Nor is the government buying it up. We are buying it up, and holding on to it. Tens of millions of panic buyers, newbies to the shoot'n sports, hoarders, gougers, Fraidy Cats, profiteers, wussies, dim wits and danged smart shoppers scoring deals are leaving the normal calm and limited funds buyers with the short end of the stick.

Over two years ago I was at a Crossroads of the West gun show at the Arizona State Fairgrounds. One of the biggest, the largest each year in Arizona anyway. There was one seller there, in this case had only .223/5.56 ammo in zip-lock bags. Mixed brands, but all standard 55gr FMJ. They had sealed white plastic 5 gallon buckets of it.

Over 100,000 Rounds!

Their story was they bought out a Prepper. The guy had all these buckets in the back of his garage. He'd prepared them to bury in his backyard. You know, "Just in case".

That's just one Prepper and one caliber and it was well before the worst of the panic.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

How dare he start his auctions at $0.01 with no reserve.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:(][:(][:(]I am sorry I even brought this up. Just trying to relate what was told to me. Like I said, I don't know if it is the truth and was seeing if anyone else heard this also.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Don't be sorry.
    I had a guy tell me at wallmart that they were all being recalled to add microscopic tags so they could be traced to the person who bought them. [;)]

I appreciate you're thinking of holding some for those without.

My daughter and I are ok for .22 But that is a kind offer.
  • Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DITCH-RUNNER
    they must have a small army lined up at all the stores or has a heck of a inside connection to have that much 22 for sale [V]

I know this guy personally.

Everything he has been selling on here for the last 7 months
    is ammo that he ordered in the early aftermath of Newtown.

Even now he is receiving multiple cases that have been on
    backorder for a year or more. As Chris pointed out,
    he's not the only person doing this.

I suspect he and others like him are a significant factor
    in the current shortage of ammo reaching store shelves.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    [:(][:(][:(]I am sorry I even brought this up. Just trying to relate what was told to me. Like I said, I don't know if it is the truth and was seeing if anyone else heard this also.

To answer directly, don't be sorry. He likely means well, but he's been told spooky tales that make no sense.

This particular spooky tale I had not heard until now. Others, but not this one.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth is buried in the original post: "He received about 100 cases of federal 22's and 500 cases of cci 22's. All of it is sold already..."

As Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just because you are a dealer, doesn't mean you are not paranoid.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just when I think I have heard the dumbest thing I ever heard on here along comes another one that tops it. Keep them coming boys. Us old farts believe every one of them![:0][:D]
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    He's full of BS

Yeah your right keyboard camondo-[;)]maybe you ought to go back and read again, you know, the part where I said is it true or not, I don't know. But I guess you just skimmed through the post.

I read your post. All I'm saying is your ammo guy is full of crap. If that makes me a keyboard commando, oh well.[;)]