In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin lever-action question

callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
I know Marlin did and still does make an 1894-style lever-action in 38/357. Did they ever make one in that caliber in the "pistol grip" style? If I were able to choose, I prefer the look of a pistol grip stock (like on my Marlin .30-30) rather than the 1894-style stock. Just personal taste, I suppose. I've been eying a few of those rifles, and want it in that particular caliber.

Comments

• Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    I will give you a little experience with Marlin that I have run into.
    About 10 years ago I purchased a Marlin 336 in 30-30 caliber.
    Excellent rifle and well made as I have always enjoyed Marlin products but I have found a problem with the newer ones made since the mid 1990`s.
    They have changed how the blue there weapons and they are rust magnets !
    This rifle has had about 60 rounds fired through it since purchased new. It is kept in a dry area with dry rods with it.
    The outer surface will rust at any time of the year and I have done everything to keep it rust free. Changed it storage space, moved to all areas of my home looking for a dry space and it the temperature changes I can guarantee you it will rust on the outer surface.
    I have resorted to putting a light coat of Vaseline on the outer surface for storage. It has work to keep it rust free.
    So in my opinion look for a older Marlin rifle to avoid this in the newer manufactured rifles.
  • callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't want a new one anyway, simply because I don't like the safety. I'm a half-cock fan, personally.
    edited November -1
    And a follow-up question...

Those 1894C that come in .357/.38 SPL, the capacity is 10+1. Is that for both calibers? So even though the .357 is longer, you can still only fill the magazine with 10 of either? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    357 max OAL is 1.590
    38 Special Max OAL 1.550

Not THAT much difference in length.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    357 max OAL is 1.590
    38 Special Max OAL 1.550

Not THAT much difference in length.

Enough that I can't fit .357's in my .38SPL revolver![:p]
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I know Marlin did and still does make an 1894-style lever-action in 38/357. Did they ever make one in that caliber in the "pistol grip" style? If I were able to choose, I prefer the look of a pistol grip stock (like on my Marlin .30-30) rather than the 1894-style stock. Just personal taste, I suppose. I've been eying a few of those rifles, and want it in that particular caliber.

Marlin 336 used to be in that caliber. Keep looking at the auction side, one will surface sometime.
    edited November -1
    It still is offered in that caliber, but only in the 1894 version, which is the stock configuration that I don't like. The Marlin 336 has the pistol-grip style stock, but not in .38/.357 Mag caliber.
    edited November -1
    LIKE....

marlin_336C.jpg
    DON'T LIKE (or at least don't prefer):

marlin-1894C.jpg
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    If Marlin ever made a pistol grip .357, they haven't in a long time.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894centerfire/1894SS.asp
    edited November -1
    Yeah....so far my research has come up with zip. I'd already checked the marlin website and a few other forums. Apparently they never made that caliber in anything other than a 1894 style. Too bad, cause it's * IMO. But, whatever. I can still probably find an old one in need of TLC for a good price.
  • Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    callktulu here is a picture of my Marlin 336.

It has only been shot about 60 times or 3 20 round boxes through it.

If I remember right I payed around $250 new out the door about 15 years ago.

It has a Simmons 3x9x32 scope on it.

Nothing special but a rust bucket if not wiped and cleaned very often.

Marlin336.jpg
    edited November -1
    OK....thanks, I guess.
    edited November -1
    So here's a question....

Will a Marlin 1894-style rifle accept the partial pistol grip-style of the Marlin 336 stock? I know both are held in by a single screw, but are they interchangeable? I'm guessing not, as the frame is probably different, but it's worth asking...
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That and if the lever needs swapping, too. Or go for the John Wayne 's "Big Hoopy Dupe".
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    That and if the lever needs swapping, too. Or go for the John Wayne 's "Big Hoopy Dupe".

Yeah, I don't like the "squared" lever of the 1894 rifle, either. I much prefer the rounded or big loop. So....time for a project gun!
    [8D][:D]