In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

It was 5 weeks ago last Friday...

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in General Discussion
Had my bypass surgery. Had numerous complications and setbacks. Been in constant pain and discomfort. Not sleeping. Nausea and puking. Told 4-6 weeks to start feeling normal. Been over 5 with no sign of normality in sight.

My theory is that I didn't survive the surgery. I actually died on the table and now I'm in Hell.
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear that, Doc! Hang in there!
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not hell, it just feels like it according to what my dad said after his heart surgury. Better days are ahead. Hang in there Doc we're pullin' for you.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mother had it done at age 79 and it took her a while to recover, so give yourself time as they say at least 6 months.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hang in there Doc... It takes a while for the heart to mend.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc, I have had it done twice...none feel good,but there is a brighter side,things improve...1st time I got thrush mouth,and the runs...second time I had to have stents put in to fix what I thought was fixed...God has a plan for you,and living is part of the plan..God Bless! Happy Easter.
  • Options
    Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    Once the Docs get a chance to use their trusty knives and do nasty things to you it takes to their joy a longtime to get back on your feet. As you know every follow up is another buck in the pocket

They made a good buck on me the past two years. Thankfully no infections or complications on my part. I consider myself lucky

You will get back on your feet and all this will be forgotten
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look around. If you can see your wife, you are still in heaven, just a bad neighborhood. Hope you are better very soon.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    prefer you stick around and keep on posting
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The older we get -the longer he rehab.
    Hope releif kicks in soon Doc!
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Hope you feel better soon Doc.

Had a pretty serious Heart surgery in 2005. Know what your going through.

-Ken-
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Takes a year. I don't care what they say I'm telling you it takes a year. Been 3 for me and still have a bad day now and then. It will get better, but not soon. Part I hated most was my shirt rubbing against my chest hair stubble, funny as it sounds, it sucks.
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hang in there, Doc. We need every conservative educator we can get[:)]. (Spoken as a retired professor who was an island of conservatism adrift in a sea of liberalism for 31 years [:D].)
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be fun. [;)]

Give your body time, Doc. Some guys took sharp things and carved on stuff in your innards. Now the stuff has to heal.

It will get better.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your not in Hell Doc your in Arkansas[:D]
    RLTW

• Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bill arrived yesterday. Just the surgery was $112,000. Thank God for insurance. My co-pay is only $2,800 and I'll ask if there's a discount for cash payment.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guns-n-painthorses
    Takes a year. I don't care what they say I'm telling you it takes a year. Been 3 for me and still have a bad day now and then. It will get better, but not soon. Part I hated most was my shirt rubbing against my chest hair stubble, funny as it sounds, it sucks.

Worst was my beard tickling my scar. Beard is gone it got that bad.

But as a side Note by that time I was getting ready to head back to work. But for me the pain meds they used messed me up. Had them go to Vicodine and that was all I needed. The other stuff left me in a fog and the pain was still there.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The goal is recovery and back to life. Some people are doing well at 5 weeks out, some not as well. Though it may be slower then you would like If you are progressing that is good. The goal is to get there, it's a journey not a race.

Talk to your doctors. A simple medication adjustment/change may help. Be patient with yourself. Work and push, but within limits. Never keep pushing until you are wore out, always stop short of that, keep something in the tank.

Be sure to get out of the house if/when you can. Your mind is just as important in your recovery as your body. Surgeries this big can cause a lot of side effects for awhile, mood, taste, emotions, thoughts, etc.. Be sure to treat the whole you.

Be patient with yourself Doc, you're going to make it back to being you.