In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

San Francisco Zoo, CCW okay?

chico.cmchico.cm Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited August 2007 in General Discussion
Hello All!
I have an off-the-wall question I hope someone can answer.
My kids want to go to SF Zoo, but I won't go if there are metal detectors/no way to carry there.
Does anyone have firsthand, recent info about this?
Thanks in advance!

PH

Comments

• RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    Planning a hunt, eh?

There're no metal detectors to my knowledge, but I'd double check.
  • KrinkovManKrinkovMan Member Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought you could not carry in california, Sorry if im wrong I thought they were a communist state.
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a valid CA concealed carry permit? If so, you probably can carry at the zoo.

One of the ironies in CA is that while it's very difficult, nearly impossible to obtain a permit in most of the state (issued by cities and counties at discretion of chief or sheriff) once you do get one, very few places are off limits for carry.

Contrast that to the situation in AR where the permit is easy to get but there are so many restrictions on where you can legally carry that the permit isn't as useful as you first think.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]-Yea SP, but in California-unless you're federal or state LEO, nearly all CCW's are issued by COUNTY only and the rules are STRICT--

----JIMBO
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the county. Mariposa County is known for being easy and San Francisco County is impossible. Any CLEO (city police chief or county sheriff) can (the problem word being "can" as it is up to him to decide who does and doesn't get the permit) issue a CA permit (good statewide) but in most cases the city PD will refer applicants to the sheriff's office.

I grew up in Fresno County and it was a poorly kept secret that if you wanted a carry permit a $500 check to the sheriff's re-election campaign would do the trick.

I am told things have loosened up quite a bit since I left in 1992 and the local gun range holds the classes needed to obtain a permit. Some cities and counties are still impossible and CA does not recognize any out of state permits.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • sierrasamsierrasam Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Madera county, ccws are practically encouraged. But I must
    respond that is by far one of the most paranoid asanine posts Ive read .
    Stay home.
  • chico.cmchico.cm Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sierrasam
    I live in Madera county, ccws are practically encouraged. But I must
    respond that is by far one of the most paranoid asanine posts Ive read .
    Stay home.

Baaaaa! It's that kind of thinking that gives the Libs the energy to try to take away your right to own firearms, let alone carry them.
    I am not paranoid, but practical. I do not assign my safety or security to anyone but me. And yes, I do have a CCW. Do you?
    If not, why not? Do you think that the police can/will protect you?
    It's not paranoid to have a self preservation mindset. Even sheep do.
    edited November -1
    By the way, thank you to those who had positive responses to my question.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The simple answer is to call the zoo and ask if they have any rules regarding concealed firearms on their grounds. You need not give a name.
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    The simple answer is to call the zoo and ask if they have any rules regarding concealed firearms on their grounds. You need not give a name.
    Sounds most valid.
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SaxonPig
    Depends on the county. Mariposa County is known for being easy and San Francisco County is impossible.

I think you mispoke. Mariposa County is in Arizona.[:D]
  • sierrasamsierrasam Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mariposa county is in California. Thats where the town of Mariposa is located. You are confused with Maricopa County in Arizona.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chico.... I would go ahead and carry the gun to the Zoo. If you see metal detectors, which I doubt, or signs prohibiting firearms, then go lock it up in your veh.

Otherwise you would be perfectly legal. Of course you can call, but you may get someone on the phone who doesnt know what the policy is or if there even is a policy on such things.
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    I would imagine the have no long scoped gun policy. I don't remember going through either metal detectors or seeing no guns signs, neither does my kinda-girlfriend who takes her preschoolers on field trips there once every six weeks.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A facility that charges admission can take the position that they can make policy on what is allowed inside. That is why you don't see dogs other than service dogs in zoos and why there are no politicos handing out leaflets. Some zoo's clearly prohibit firearms and signs are so posted. Most also prohibit balls, frisbees and other similar items that may end up in exhibits and may potentially harm animals, or cause undue hassels to retreive.
    edited November -1
    Thanks again for the responses.
    I found out the hard way that several smaller CA amusement parks have metal detectors. One of which had two threats while I was there that created a sea of plain clothes and uniformed people scrambling about...not cool.
    As for the "call them up and ask" idea: my concern is that they might find that reason to change policy--getting a call about their metal detector/firearm policy.
    Think about it. This is post 9/11 knee-jerk reactionary America.
    And SF is the bastion evil and of all things anti 2nd Amendment.
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    None, OJMayo, Newtgingrich, AlbertLum, Runforest, and several others all hail from California.

Are you related?

[?][?][?]
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In short-
    No[;)]
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SF Passes What Some Call Most Strict Gun Law In U.S.

SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco city leaders announced Wednesday the adoption of what they called one of the strictest anti-gun laws in the country.

Co-author and San Francisco District Attorney Kamala Harris joined Mayor Gavin Newsom as he signed the legislation into law.
    The new law would restrict both the sale and possession of firearms on city property.

Gun owners would be required to store weapons in a locked box, according to Harris.

Dealers would have to submit inventory to the police every six months.

Harris said the new law was passed in part because San Francisco leaders feel a sense of urgency about stopping gun violence that has spiked in areas of the city.

"We are making the statement in a local jurisdiction where federal and state law have failed that we as San Franciscans will take those matters into our own hands," Harris said.

"We respect the right to bear arms, the right for people to own guns," said Mayor Newsom. "We also respect common sense for people, consideration when purchasing a gun."

The Executive Director of the Gun Owners Association told NBC11's Lisa Bernard the laws are "anti self-defense."

He attacked San Francisco Supervisors for supporting the legislation, according to Bernard.

Supervisor Tom Ammiano said the laws are worth a try partly because of the rising homicide rate.
  • SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    I have an off-the-wall question ...

Right you are. Practically laying on the floor.