In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is there a pharmacist in the house?

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in General Discussion
The vet has decided my mutt could benefit from thyroid medication. As near as I can tell it is the exact same medication that I take (different strength).

I have to take mine 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating. The dog can take his with food. What's up with that?
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try stuffin a pill down a dog after it gets a taste of it
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some things in life just ain't fair.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    some meds are the same
    one of my pain pills were the same and even from the same drug store as one given to one of our dogs by the vet
    I am sure a lot are the same just not "certified " for human use [:0]

by the way peanut butter or cheese is you friend when giving pills to dogs works like a charm
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sandwich my dog's pills between two small pieces of American cheese and she just swallows it right down without even chewing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the replies, but they don't address the question. Why is the medication effective for dogs with food but not people.

quote:try stuffin a pill down a dog after it gets a taste of it

I don't have any problem giving my dog pills.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just a guess and from personal experience some pills given with out food to a dog will upset there stomach and cause them to throw up. I am sure there is a medical reason but with food there stomach has more to deal with maybe a chemical reaction with there digestive fluids and for some reason does not get them sick . over many years with dogs I finely caught on
    even some meds for humans state must be taken with food and I have learned to do that also [:I]

quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    I appreciate the replies, but they don't address the question. Why is the medication effective for dogs with food but not people.

quote:try stuffin a pill down a dog after it gets a taste of it

I don't have any problem giving my dog pills.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    dog physiology is different you can eat chocolate he cant
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    dog physiology is different you can eat chocolate he cant

Thanks, hadn't thought of that angle.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    I sandwich my dog's pills between two small pieces of American cheese and she just swallows it right down without even chewing.

I have to throw 2 decoys first. By the 3rd she's swallowing anything whole [:D]
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner

I am sure a lot are the same just not "certified " for human use [:0]

maybe they use the ones that fall on the floor and are swept up every night for the dog............
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Could be just a pharmacy rule. Cause what I take does not have that rule.

Plus the Cat I just lost had to take it and for him it was a paste I rubbed on his inner ear.