In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Got a question Bombs

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Ok how many of you as kids made some sort of pipe bomb(IED).

Know I did, but not to be used against anybody. Just liked to see stuff blowup.[:p]

Even built a very Nice Helicopter(Plastic Model) In the open spots on the inside I placed M80's. Mom was not very happy and took me a while to pick up all the plastic pieces.

My Biggest took a long time to collect the powder. Those old red Snap Caps came on a roll. Well I took the powder out of a lot of them and filled a piece of Copper Pipe. Did not go off a planned. I crimped one end then Filled it. Was crimping the other end around a fuse from a model rocket when it went off.

Was real lucky did not get hit with any shrapnel. Did have trouble hearing for a week or so. I was using a hammer to crimp the end.[:(] It even blew off a corner of the concrete Porch we had about a 3" corner.

When in the military I got to use explosives. But Crimping on a blasting cap would leave me shaking.[:(]

Comments

• Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've blown up a few of my old model ships with Cherry Bombs!!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    What do you as kids? Heck, I still did as an adult.[;)]
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know how to make one of the most deadly IEDs...an EFP (Explosively Formed Projectile).

It's so frickin' easy it'll make your mind pop.

Depending on the explosive charge, one can punch through 4 inches of steel like a pen through a sheet of paper.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I made a cannon when I was ten, blew the back out of dads garage with it, and damaged a neighbors roof where the cannon fell through it..Can you say Sore *???
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I use to use those quarter rolls from the bank and fill them with my dads reloading powder along with cannon fuse i would buy at the local hobby shop. Rap the hell out of it with electice tape and run like hell. Havnt done that sense i was probly 13 or 14 though. I had a friend that made them but used modle rocket fuses and would tie three for four together. he would use speaker wire and run 100 feet of it or so 20 feet down the hole we would drill in the lake while ice fishing the other 80 back over the were the 4 wheeler was sitting and touch it off with the 4 wheeler battery. man that would shoot water along ways out of that hole. Last time we did that we just about got cought by a game warden. I think we were alittle older probley 15 to 16
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Daddy government ain't gonna like this kinda talk. [8)]

Go figure, according to "new america" doctrine, most of us were likely domestic terrorists 30-40 years ago when we were kids playing around with guns and explosives; learning about self-sufficiency, America and the Constitution.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Black Cats, steam fittings,pipe plugs,vasoline for the threads. U can figger-out the rest!![;)]
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    Years ago, while enjoying a couple hour break from school. at Cherry Point, some who=rahs
    threw a string of black cats under the partition in the barracks. Ha, ha, very funny. Got me.

A few days later was down in Beaufort where I saw some M-80's for sale on the side of the road. Bought a few of them puppies and took back to barracks at Cherry Point.

Stripped fuses (removed powder and retwisted) on several and taped together. The jerks that got me with the black cats were playing cards a few partitions over from my area. I lit my "delayed" fuses and slipped a small package under their partition and hooked onto a spring under one of the racks they were sitting on.

Then quietly slipped out of barracks and went to stand in the chow line. The barracks were just beyond the chow hall, maybe 50 yards distant. Stood there for about 8-10 minutes and all of the sudden...BOOM...BOOM...BOOOM all within 1-2 seconds.

I always knew there were some shorts to be changed that day. Others in chow line wondered why myself and another guy (a cohort) were laughing so loud. And looking around to see what the hell was going on at the barracks.

PAY BACK...don't get mad, get even!!
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    I know how to make one of the most deadly IEDs...an EFP (Explosively Formed Projectile).

Depending on the explosive charge, one can punch through 4 inches of steel like a pen through a sheet of paper.

wouldn't be made with a flat sheet of copper would it?
  • Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    I was a mineman in the military. Boy do I miss those days.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forgot one. I did not do it. Barracks at Camp Pendelton. Not even sure who did do it. They went to Mexico and got the good M80's. Then taped 4 of the to a post the held the stair to the back of the barracks. They used a couple of rolls of electricians tape.

With all the pranks that I pulled on others there I sure was glad I was down talking to the DNCO at the time. Blew the whol stair case off the barracks. Blew out several windows.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    In high school I heard of people lighting a cigarette and putting an m-80 fuse through it near the filter. very cheap & simple time delay. By the time it went off they were long gone.

I also heard that m-80's were outlawed. The real ones. Some guys used to make their own with 35mm film canisters, cannon fuse, ffff black powder & paraffin wax.
  • jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was around when someone did a sparkler bomb....scrape a bunch of sparklers, they put it into a CO2 bulb....do not know how it was lit, but blew out several windows in a house! That was LOUD!
  • redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    growing my father owned a gun shop and also handle explosives enough said!
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    When I was around 11, I blew up our root cellar type basement while making black powder by candle light.

Took awhile to grow my eyebrows back.

How did we survive that stuff ??

And...what do kids do now with that kind of creative energy ??

Doug
  • Tile KingTile King Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7

if you like, you can email me those directions. lol.
  • bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend and I used to take cherry bombs, one would put the bomd in a sling shot, pull it back, the other light the fuze. When the fuze burned down enough, let it go, just to see it blow in the air.
    When my brother was in the NG, he used to pick up boxes of the good M-80's, silver salutes and cherry bombs in MS. at summer camp. Fun times, except having a Black Cat with a fast fuze.[:D]
    edited November -1
    Difference from conventional shaped charges
    Formation of an EFP warhead. USAF Research Laboratory.

A conventional shaped charge generally has a conical metal liner that projects a hypervelocity jet of metal able to penetrate to great depths into steel armour; however, in travel over some distance the jet breaks up along its length into particles that drift out of alignment, greatly diminishing its effectiveness at a distance.

An EFP, on the other hand, has a liner in the shape of a shallow dish.The force of the blast molds the liner into any of a number of configurations, depending on how the plate is formed and how the explosive is detonated.[3] Sophisticated EFP warheads have multiple detonators that can be fired in different arrangements causing different types of waveform in the explosive, resulting in either a long-rod penetrator, an aerodynamic slug projectile or multiple high-velocity fragments. A less sophisticated approach for changing the formation of an EFP is the use of wire-mesh in front of the liner: with the mesh in place the liner will fragment into multiple penetrators.[4]

In addition to single-penetrator EFPs (also called single EFPs or SEFPs), there are EFP warheads whose liners are designed to produce more than one penetrator; these are known as multiple EFPs, or MEFPs. The liner of an MEFP generally comprises a number of dimples that intersect each other at sharp angles. Upon detonation the liner fragments along these intersections to form up to dozens of small, generally spheroidal projectiles, producing an effect similar to that of a shotgun. The pattern of impacts on target can be finely controlled based on the design of the liner and the manner in which the explosive charge is detonated.

The (single) EFP generally remains intact and is therefore able to penetrate armour at long range, delivering a wide spray of fragments of liner material and vehicle armour backspall into the vehicle's interior, injuring its crew and damaging other systems.[5]

As a rule of thumb, an EFP will perforate a thickness of armour steel equal to half the diameter of its charge for a copper or iron liner[6], and armour steel equal to the diameter of its charge for a tantalum liner, whereas a typical shaped charge will go through six or more diameters.

The penetration is proportional to the specific weight of the liner metal, tantalum 16654 kg/m3, copper 8960 kg/m3, iron 7874 kg/m3.
    Tantalum is preferable if the delivery system have limitations in size like the SADARM which is delivered with a howitzer (artillery cannon). For other weapon systems where the size doesn't matter, a copper liner and double the calibre is used.

Also worth noting is that extensive research is going on in the grayzone between jetting charges and EFPs, which combines the advantages of both types, resulting in very long stretched rod EFPs for short to medium distance (because not aerostable) with improved penetration capability.

EFPs have been adopted as warheads in a number of weapon systems, including the CBU-97 and BLU-108 air bombs (with the Skeet submunition), the M303 Special Operations Forces demolition kit, the M2/M4 Selectable Lightweight Attack Munition (SLAM), the SADARM submunition, the Low Cost Autonomous Attack System and the TOW-2B anti-tank missile.

An EFP eight inches in diameter threw a seven-pound copper slug at Mach 6, or 2,000 meters per second. (A .50-caliber bullet, among the most devastating projectiles on the battlefield, weighs less than two ounces and has a muzzle velocity of 900 meters per second.). Washington Post [7]

[edit] Use in improvised explosive devices
    Improvised Explosive Device in Iraq. The concave copper shape on top is an explosively formed penetrator.

EFPs have been used in improvised explosive devices against armoured cars, for example[8] in the 1989 assassination of the German banker Alfred Herrhausen (attributed to the Red Army Faction)[9][10], and by the Hezbollah in the 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict[11]. A recent development is their widespread introduction in IEDs by insurgents in Iraq.[12]

The charges are generally cylindrical, fabricated from commonly available metal pipe, with the forward end closed by a concave copper or steel disk-shaped liner to create a shaped charge. Explosive is loaded behind the metal liner to fill the pipe. Upon detonation, the explosive projects the liner to form a projectile at a speed well over 1 km/s, depending on the design and type of explosive used.

Because they use explosives to form a solid copper penetrator instead of using an explosive blast or metal fragments, these charges are extremely dangerous, even to the new generation of MRAPs (which are made to withstand an anti-tank mine), and many tanks.[13]

Often mounted on crash barriers at window level, they are placed along roadsides at choke points where vehicles must slow down, such as intersections and junctions. This gives the operator time to judge the moment to fire, when the vehicle is moving more slowly.[14]

Detonation is controlled by cable, radio control, TV or IR remote controls, or remote arming with a passive infrared sensor. EFPs can be deployed singly, in pairs, or in arrays, depending on the tactical situation.

[edit] Simplified Improvised Multiple Explosively Formed Penetrators (SIM-EFP)

At close standoff distance there is no need for the cone-tailed projectiles' aerodynamic stability, which means that the liner can be simplified.

The SIM-EFP is a construction that fits in between the military linear cutting charge (see Shaped charge) and the platter charge (see Improvised explosive device). The main difference is how much the rectangular liner plate is bent.

SIM-EFPs are built from simple cut and bent steel bars, side by side, with explosives attached. Upon explosion it creates multiple projectiles spread out alongside the vehicles length, which makes it more probable that the enemy troops inside the vehicle are hit. The construction also allows for longer timing errors, and makes it easier to hit fast moving vehicles.

The SIM-EFP is a modified version of the platter charge, but the projectiles are better optimized for armour penetration instead of demolition, and spread out perfectly for effective killing of armoured vehicles. (Optimized for long projectiles instead of a broad flat projectile.)

The simplified EFP design also makes it easier for small groups of motivated individuals to build big EFPs that can penetrate a heavy battle tank or stationary high-value targets of virtually any sort.

Other examples of non circular EFPs are U.S. patents 6606951[15] and 4649828[16].
  • hooch31Lhooch31L Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We use to get empty CO2 containers and pack them with powder. Then place cannon fuse in it and use rubber cement to seal it. Use to toss them in a swamp. My uncle had a friend that would use 4" cardboard carpet rolls and use a whole pound of powder in it. You could feel the concussion 100 ft away.

Had a cousin get caught by the ATF for making pipe bombs when he was 16. The meet him at his house and took the pipe from him. They let him off with a warning.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yikes, I'm starting to think that because of our childhood adventures "we" would be perceived by Janet Napolitano (Secretary Department of Homeland Security) as threats to homeland security! [xx(]

Better poof this thread or we might get a visit!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    1 1/2"x 4" nipple threaded. two pipe caps. Drill 1/16" hole in one pipe cap. Pack nipple full of match heads and powder from m80s. Screw cap on and insert m80 fuse in hole. Glue several together to make longer fuse. Light fuse and run. Equals a half stick of dynamite[:0]
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never blew nothing up, damn rotten childhood
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    last 4th of july a kid out here blew off three fingers with a home made pipe bomb.
    he was packing match heads into the pipe when it went off.
    told me he was going to blow up his step dads truck with it![:0]
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Diesel fuel and fertilzer with alot of nitrogen and some saw dust makes a nice crater My dad made me fill it back in with shovel took about 2 weeks at least the tree stump we had been trying to pull out all summer was gone
    edited November -1
    From the replies this is what I was thinking. We did it just not in the way they ar used now. We wanted to see it go off. Also wanted to live to tell about it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hooch31L
    We use to get empty CO2 containers and pack them with powder. Then place cannon fuse in it and use rubber cement to seal it. Use to toss them in a swamp. My uncle had a friend that would use 4" cardboard carpet rolls and use a whole pound of powder in it. You could feel the concussion 100 ft away.

Had a cousin get caught by the ATF for making pipe bombs when he was 16. The meet him at his house and took the pipe from him. They let him off with a warning.

We would run a bead of model airplane glue down the side of CO2 cartridges, light the glue and fling them.

Nice bang !!

Doug
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is an OLD article on the EFPs- since SADARM was scrapped some time ago. The formal name for EFPs is the Misznay-Schardin effect.

And no, never blew up stuff when I was a kid- was apprenticed to my Dad- who WAS a blasting contractor. We usually had a few thousand pounds of 40% in the magazine, and understood that folks that fooled around with gunpowder or matchheads were strictly amateur night! [:p]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    That is an OLD article on the EFPs- since SADARM was scrapped some time ago. The formal name for EFPs is the Misznay-Schardin effect.

And no, never blew up stuff when I was a kid- was apprenticed to my Dad- who WAS a blasting contractor. We usually had a few thousand pounds of 40% in the magazine, and understood that folks that fooled around with gunpowder or matchheads were strictly amateur night! [:p]

As a kid I only got close to the real stuff once. Had been getting a ride to work from on guy. About 15 miles one way to the farm. Get ready to head home when he decides to show me what he has in the trunk. Turns out to be some really old Sticks. Stuff was sweating big time. I refused to ride in the car after that. So he saw a Farmers pump house that was nearby. He went over and placed the stuff in there.

Farmer found it called the police. They call out the experts who refuse to touch it. Blew it on the spot. Really big Boom. No pump or pump house left.

This is the high desert, the pump motor was a big Diesel engine.

Not many years later this guy was killed in Prison. So you get an Idea what he was like.