In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Active duty, retired, Vet Affairs pay in a shutdow

JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
Retired pay and Veterans Affairs payments don't come from the Military Personnel Appropriation so they should get paid on time 1 October 2013.

Active duty personnel however will need a "continuing authorization" to be paid. Last I heard on the news a little while ago was a "continuing authorization appropriation" was passed by the House and Senate, but it has to be signed by the President. The news report said Obama won't say whether he intends to sign it or not.

We might be in the situation of sending men and women to war without pay. Way passed shameful. If little Johnny, son-of-a-soldier doesn't have lunch money this week let's hope the school will feed him "on the cuff" until this crap gets straightened out.

We get to run this drill again on 1 November. This time retired pay and Veterans Affairs payments will be in the mix. If we don't get paid because of the debt ceiling, we will either not be paid or receive reduced pay.

Ain't politics grand. The one responsibility the Constitution burdens the congress with and they can't (won't) do it.
The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.

Comments

• Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    they all belong in a sandbox, not running our government
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Active duty personnel however will need a "continuing authorization" to be paid. Last I heard on the news a little while ago was a "continuing authorization appropriation" was passed by the House and Senate, but it has to be signed by the President. The news report said Obama won't say whether he intends to sign it or not.

He was clear in his speech that they would be paid... on time.
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside

Do you really believe anything he says?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's what I would expect and I'm glad to hear it. I wonder why he wouldn't tell the news dudes that a while ago. No matter. Maybe he was pissed because they didn't listen to his speechifying.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    That's what I would expect and I'm glad to hear it. I wonder why he wouldn't tell the news dudes that a while ago. No matter. Maybe he was pissed because they didn't listen to his speechifying.

Who knows?
    Journalism is dead. Its all blogs and such now.
    The first part of the speech.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Good afternoon, everybody.

Of all the responsibilities the Constitution endows to Congress, two should be fairly simple: Pass a budget, and pay America's bills. But if the United States Congress does not fulfill its responsibility to pass a budget today, much of the United States government will be forced to shut down tomorrow. And I want to be very clear about what that shutdown would mean, what will remain open and what will not.

With regard to operations that will continue, if you're on Social Security, you will keep receiving your checks. If you're on Medicare, your doctor will still see you. Everyone's mail will still be delivered, and government operations related to national security or public safety will go on.

Our troops will continue to serve with skill, honor and courage. Air traffic controllers, prison guards, those who are with border control -- Border Patrol will remain on their posts, but their paychecks will be delayed until the government reopens.

NASA will shut down almost entirely, but Mission Control will remain open to support the astronauts serving on the space station.

I also want to be very clear about what would change. Office buildings would close. Paychecks would be delayed. Vital services that seniors and veterans, women and children, businesses and our economy depend on would be hamstrung. Business owners would see delays in raising capital, seeking infrastructure permits or rebuilding after Hurricane Sandy.

Veterans, who've sacrificed for their country, will find their support centers unstaffed.

Tourists will find every one of America's national parks and monuments, from Yosemite to the Smithsonian to the Statue of Liberty, immediately closed. And of course the communities and small business that rely on these national treasures for their livelihoods will be out of customers and out of luck.

more here...
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/transcript-president-obamas-sept-30-remarks-on-looming-government-shutdown/2013/09/30/87437ea6-2a10-11e3-b139-029811dbb57f_story.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The only mention of the troops I see in his speech is "Our troops will continue to serve with skill, honor and courage. Air traffic controllers, prison guards, those who are with border control -- Border Patrol will remain on their posts, but their paychecks will be delayed until the government reopens."

That tells me he doesn't intend to sign the continuing authorization appropriation. I guess we'll all know for sure in a few hours.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks hobo. That's what I wanted to see. [:)]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Even a Marxist Musloon like teh Oone realizes that if warriors go unpaid in far-flung places; they come home to get paid back.
    See Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire for thoughts on not paying your army.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    My News station keeps saying retired pay will be affected.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    Even a Marxist Musloon like teh Oone realizes that if warriors go unpaid in far-flung places; they come home to get paid back.
    See Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire for thoughts on not paying your army.

People forget about how Julius Caesar took power. Once in charge, he reduced the power of the Senate. Of course we all know what happened to him later.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unpaid troops? No problem.

Let's see what the pawn shop can give us for these M16s......[:p]
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Retirees were already been paid yesterday. I for one do not trust agenda oriented bias liberal media.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Retirees were already been paid yesterday. I for one do not trust agenda oriented bias liberal media.

If it continues on to November is what they are saying. Cause I got my retired pay yesterday as you say.