In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

microsoft ??

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
edited November 2018 in General Discussion
I keep getting calls on my cell phone about them canceling my license and how I should "push 1 to talk to a tech. to change my I.P. I figure "SCAM"..........anybody else getting these calls??

Comments

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got emails from Hughes Net saying the same thing. I looked at the sender's email origin, they are from the UK, SCAM.
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prices change with the years but I'd bet you CAN NOT get anyone microsoft to talk to you for less than $100.00.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have learned enough Urdu and Hindi to effectively cuss the phone scammers. Or just ask them why they decided to become a thief- was it that were too lazy to work, but too much of a coward to mug people? Kinda fun to get them wound up to where THEY start screaming and cussing. Then just blow them a raspberry.

Yeah, it's a scam. Microsoft does not call people- neither does the IRS or the FBI, and no- he is NOT a Nigerian Prince.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    up just google hindi and there are good stuff cuss words ,,i like to make up my own lingo that gettes them going[^]
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Microsoft has gone from bad to worse. To hell with them.
    What's next?
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,278 ******
    edited November -1
    I just wish the scam calls I get were from a real person and not just a recording!! I cannot give a recording my reply which I have been practicing for some time![:(!]
  • llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to play with them. I had one one the phone for almost an hour before I had to tell him what I was doing and go pick up my daughter from school.

Big bust recently in India... summary with geek commentary -

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/18/11/30/035203/after-microsoft-complaints-indian-police-arrest-tech-support-scammers-at-26-call-centers

Summary (zdnet) -

"New Delhi police have arrested 63 suspects in the last two months working and operating 26 call centers that were engaging in tech support scams, posing as tech support staff at Microsoft, Google, Apple, and other major tech companies. The raids on Delhi-based call centers have taken place over the last two months, Microsoft said. Police first raided 10 call centers and arrested 24 people in October, and then raided 16 other call centers and made 39 more arrests this week.

Microsoft said its staff received over 7,000 victim reports associated with the 16 call centers raided this week, from over 15 countries. Users reported paying between $100 and $500 for unnecessary tech support services and products. The raids resulted in the seizure of substantial evidence including call scripts, live chats, voice call recordings and customer records from tech support fraud operations, Microsoft said. The Delhi police's crackdown on tech support call centers came after Microsoft filed legal complaints earlier this year. Microsoft has been collecting customer complaints about tech support scams since 2014, via its "Report a technical support scam" portal."
  • themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to turn it to having them help me cash in a lottery ticket.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1