In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone here from Gary Indiana?

Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
edited November 2007 in General Discussion
This is a crock of BS[:(!][xx(]

Lawsuit against state gun makers advances
ROB VARNON rvarnon@ctpost.com
Article Last Updated: 10/30/2007 03:48:45 PM EDT

Connecticut gun makers Sturm Ruger & Co. and Colt are among 16 firearms manufacturers facing a lawsuit by the city of Gary, Ind.
The Indiana Court of Appeals rejected the argument Monday that the 2005 federal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act could shield the gun makers from the 1999 lawsuit Gary filed against them.

Gun makers appealed Gary's lawsuit after the PLCAA was passed and a lower Indiana court ruled the federal law was unconstitutional, setting up this appeals court decision, which will allow the trial to begin in 2009.

Gary was among several cities in the nation that launched lawsuits against gun makers in the 1990s, charging them with providing weapons to criminals who used them to kill or maim citizens, according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

The Newtown, Conn.-based National Shooting Sports Foundation, a lobby for gun makers, called the decision "extremely disappointing." It said in a press release, the ruling defies logic and would be like blaming carmakers for drunk driving accidents.

The organization said it expects the case to go to the Indiana Supreme Court for review.

Comments

• Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, I'm in South Bend. And I'm going to go over to Indiana Arms & Ammunition to buy a Ruger 22/45 to show my solidarity with Ruger and the gun industry.
    I think the town of Gary is just angry because South Bend exceeded their per capita murder rates without the use of many firearms. There are murders here in town weekly, but most are beatings, drownings, strangling, or stabbing. Sunday's was a stabbing.
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    I turned down a job to run a smelter for US Steel in Gary. Sounds like I choose wisely.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no one would admit it.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    meet the mayor

clayphotosm.jpg

Races in Gary:

Black (84.0%)
    White Non-Hispanic (10.1%)
    Hispanic (4.9%)
    Other race (2.0%)
    Two or more races (1.7%)
    American Indian (0.7%)

this is what happens when power gets into the wrong hands
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the mayor has trouble admitting his town has lost control of it's crime so they blame the industry. When are cities going to sue General Motors for making the SUV that the drunk was driving?
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live about 10 miles from there. Real stuff place. I go to a gun store there sometimes called Westforth's. They tell me that anytime one of the thug looking people buys an AK- they call the police and have them take it away from them right away.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jhimco
    I live about 10 miles from there. Real stuff place. I go to a gun store there sometimes called Westforth's. They tell me that anytime one of the thug looking people buys an AK- they call the police and have them take it away from them right away.

Constitutional?

Why not put a sign up saying "Not For Sale to Young Black Men"
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure they are probably joking when they told me that- the have been in business for a long time. I don't go there too often because the prices a real high. I feel like asking them if there is a lower price for law-abiding white people. They really jack the prices up and stick it to the lower income blacks that live in Gary. But the demand for firearms is very high in Gary- thus high demand equals higher prices. I'm sure Gary has one of the most highest murder rates in America. The bad part is that all of the neighborhoods on the way to Gary from Chicago have become infested with crime. Riverdale, South Holland, Calumet City, Lansing, and Hammond just to name a few.
  • Options
    BT3BT3 Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Visited there on VFW business and know some good people there. But, even from them, it's not someplace you want to wonder around in.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I always thought of Gary Indiana comparable to East St. Louis, which makes me nervous driving around in the daytime.