In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

survival tool--fire?

wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
i saw in a magezine a while back a fire starting tool. i have searched the web over and cant find anything like it.

i beleive it was called a fire pump?

the principle was friction, compression/combustion. you could make one of these things. basically it was a dowel with the middle drilled out to make a chamber. another piece of dowel was widdled down(i think a drimmel or some other method would work too)to a size that fit in the chamber loosely. it was then wrapped with a thin strap of leather to make a tight fit,but allowed it to work up and down like a plunger. you then recessed the tip of the plunger to hold a small amount of tinder. when you inserted it and plunged it down really quick(with force) the friction and air compression ignited the tender, and when you pulled it out the air got to it and it could be tapped off into a bigger tinder, thus starting the fire.

i been thinking about makeing one to keep in my bugout bag. but i only have the basic principle. does anyone have any experience with this type of item, or this technique? anyone know where i can go to find a step by step?
i have found bow and pump drills, using glasses, polishing the bottom of a pop can etc. but i cant find anything on this. it seems like the one in the magazine had a hole drilled through the top and the guy wore it like a necklace when he went hiking and camping.

Comments

• Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I've seen 'em. There is a vid of it, but I don't have the addy - basically, it uses the heat of compression to get the air so hot it starts your tinder. Problem is, even if you are a really BIG man, you can only compress so much air, and it will only ignite the lightest of tinders, and a small portion at that. If conditions are hot and dry, and you are quick, it works pretty good. If conditions are cold and wet, and especially if you are at altitude, it is a lot harder to get things going.

The one I saw had two lucite tubes, so you could watch the whole process. Cool, but I don't think it is practical for me. YMMV
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Les Stroud used one on Survivorman. It worked really well. It ignites a small piece of tinder in the tube to get your fire started.

http://www.grannysstore.com/Wilderness_Survival/fire_pistons.htm

fire_piston.jpg
  • Options
    wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    THATS IT! i know i saw it in a magazine. upon parusing the website i found i little blip that said it was featured in may '09 field and stream. that must have been were i saw it.

i too wondered about the ability to compress the air. there was a quote from that survivor dude, les straud that said "it can be used by young and old" and that it was " so easy"

i think les might be a bit mistaken. air compression is not something that is really difficult, but i wouldnt say it would be so easy either.

thanks. i have thrown a spool of tripwire into my bag, and am wondering if a bow could be made from it? it might be too stiff. but i know it would work for certain snares, and even to tie stuff for a makeshift shelter. i am also going to throw a magnesium starter block in. but it never hurts to have a backup plan.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The ones shown are sized down so that most folks could get a SMALL piece of tinder going - still can be problematic for ME to get going. Again YMMV
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    A flint and steel is a lot less effort. No I'm not good at it but I have done it and it doesn't require any muscle to speak of.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    9v battery, some 000 steel wool.

Take wad of steel wool, remove plastic protectors from battery contents, shove it into the wool, starts wool going. Then add jeans fuzz, etc. to get fire going.

For bonus, get a flash light that uses 9v batteries so your firestarter is also a spare battery.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Make sure to store the steel wool SEPARATELY from the batteries. Wrap the Battery - contact covers are INADEQUATE!.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:a spool of tripwire

A small roll of 30# braided nylon fishing line- black or green- may be of more use to you. Weighs couple of ounces.