In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Animal lovers sign this!! This is just awfull!!!!

Comments

• Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Have to say that is just sick!

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I checked SNOPES and didn't find anything. Can anyone varify that this is happening? The way that pic shows the dog being hooked just doesn't seem like an effective place to put the hook. Seems like it would tear out rather than hold on until the prey bites. Don't get me wrong, I would hate to think that this is true, but something just doesn't seem right with that picture. Any way this could be a ploy to get people to sign the petition?

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bridget Bardot has been speaking out about it for quite sometime.

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How come they don't fuss about the live minnows used every day by hundreds or thousands of fisherman????

I see no difference.

jumpmaster.bmp
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a pathetic expression on that dogs' face.
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sucks!

The hook is not to "hold" the dog, it's to hook the shark after he eats the dog.[V][V][V][V][V][V]

Only man would come up with a idea like that.[V][V][V][V][V]
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe it.
    For one thing I don't think the Hook would hold at that spot on the Dog. I think it woud tear out. That also does not look like a hook that you would use for Shark.

By the way, did you notice that there was no scabbing around either wound from the "hook"?
    I think the picture is a Fake.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    [img]http://www.ice.gov/graphics/index.htm Report Suspected Violations of Immigration Laws, Call: 1-866-DHS-2-ICE.[/img]
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it is a hoax .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok here is a video that has that dog in it too.

http://www.30millionsdamis.fr/FR/Dossiers/NosPetitions/Contrelutilisationdechiensvivantscommeappatspourlapecheauxrequins/Contrelutilisationdechienserrantscommeappatspourlapecheauxrequins.asp

It is really happening people and it is sick!

Rob a minnow is the natural food of the sea a DOG or CAT is not!

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Rob a minnow is the natural food of the sea a DOG or CAT is not!

I agree they are not the "natural" food of the sea. But you think it's ok to hook a minnow through it's back?

I just don't see the difference. Cruelty is cruelty, regardless of what animal it is. right?

jumpmaster.bmp
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I remember as a Kid Fishing up in Minnesota, useing baby ducks for Northern Bait,, had a little harness ya put em in, with hooks dangling underneath em..harness em up and turn em loose, they headed for the weeds. and BANG, big old northern would eat em up.. I think they finally outlawed the practice..[:0]

"when you see the enemy, you attack and shoot him down, anything less is just bull shi*
    Baron Von Richthofen (RED BARON)

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I would have no problem fishing w/ a baby duck. Unless his name was Fred, Louie, or Daffy. Now fishing with Donald, or Huey & Dewey would not be a problem. Just as long as I didn't have to hook them first. I can't even hook a frog. Pretty much, if it doesn't live underground, or underwater I don't like to hook it.

Ben

00tinybuck.gif
  • Options
    The Load RoomThe Load Room Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    ok here is a video that has that dog in it too.

http://www.30millionsdamis.fr/FR/Dossiers/NosPetitions/Contrelutilisationdechiensvivantscommeappatspourlapecheauxrequins/Contrelutilisationdechienserrantscommeappatspourlapecheauxrequins.asp

It is really happening people and it is sick!

Rob a minnow is the natural food of the sea a DOG or CAT is not!

smilie_schuetze.gif

That is sickening[:(!]No excuse for the sob's to do it either[V]
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would a dog be good bait? Do they just have so many dogs that that is the cheapest meat they have? Wouldn't a dog drown really fast on a fish line? I don't know
    An animal like a dog senses pain a lot more and has more personality than a fish does, which is why it is cruel.
    minnows do not have a devolped brain or as many nerves.
    If you see no difference, use orphans for bait next time you go fishing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Orphans are human. It's illegal to use humans silly.

I just sometimes get sick of "bleeding hearts" that are hypocritical. They dont really care about hurting one animal, but when it's an animal that hits close to home, they want to petition Washington.

BTW, I'm not PRO dog bait ok?? I don't like to see it either, but I still don't see a huge difference between using a minnow, frog, turtle, snake, or a dog as bait.

(I'll make no mention of the squished mice post[:0] that someone posted earlier)

Lotta guys out here shoot prairie dogs "for fun" too(I've seen the posted pictures), I dont see anyone getting up on a soapbox to protect the prairie dogs!!!

jumpmaster.bmp
  • Options
    roadhog481roadhog481 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that it is cruel however I think this is a classic case of "SAVE THE CUTE ANIMALS"
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear you Rob, there are far worse things happening in the world, i just would not use a dog for bait. I bet you wouldn't either. I would use a minnow. My main point was just tring to understand why they are good bait.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't claim to be an expert on shark fishing, but i have caught a few and I've set up rigs for deep sea trolling with all sorts of bait. If I was going to use a dog for shark bait(and I wouldn't) I would not rig the hook through the nose in that manner. I'd gut the dog and let the blood and entrails create a slick on the water and I'd have at least two hooks on a steel leader buried deep in the hind quarters and the along the spine.
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    My Buddy is in argentina shooting Doves...says he has killed about 600 in 3 days...

it's perception people....I am so sorry to say but the line that defines cruelty is thin.

***Father, Husband, and all around Nice Guy***
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    It's too bad we can't do the same thing with stray cats around the U.S. cities.

edited November -1
    A dog is a predator with two eyes on the front of his head. Humans are predators with two eyes on the front of their heads. That's what makes it different. And it is different.

MCsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    SKYDIVER386SKYDIVER386 Member Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hughbetcha
    I don't claim to be an expert on shark fishing, but i have caught a few and I've set up rigs for deep sea trolling with all sorts of bait. If I was going to use a dog for shark bait(and I wouldn't) I would not rig the hook through the nose in that manner. I'd gut the dog and let the blood and entrails create a slick on the water and I'd have at least two hooks on a steel leader buried deep in the hind quarters and the along the spine.

I agree, this just doesnt look like someone rigged the dog for fishing. My opinion is this stray dog got a hook through its nose while rummaging through a dumpster and animal rights activists jumped to conclusions. A really far fetched conclusion at that.[B)] I have actually seen dogs that had hooks through the nose this way . My Grandfathers daschund got hooks in its nose 2 summers in a row on Lake Erie by messing around with dead fish on the bank.

Look where the dog is hooked only through soft tissue. If you were to put any tension on the steel leader or line, it would tear the hook out of the dog very quickly. Also, how would you cast it? You may be able to throw the dog all of 5 feet! How are you going to troll with it? If you actually pulled the dog through the water this way, it would tear the hook out. Now suppose a shark actually bites the dog, how would you hook it when there is no hook placed at the dogs rear where shark would bite while trailing the bait? See how little sense this starts to make when you start asking hard questions.

"Muslims are the first victims of Islam. Many times I have observed in my travels in the Orient, that fanatacism comes from a small number of dangerous men who maintain the others in the practice of religion by terror. To liberate a Muslim from his religion is the best service one can render him."
    -E. Renan
  • Options
    ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this is truly happening, I want to know where. As God is my witness, I will take a boat out, wait to see this and give gun owners a bad name. You're damn right, without hesitation- My British .303 and those bas**rds have a date. This is beyond appaling and how in the hell can they get away with it? Who are these people? Who raises people like this. I'm praying it's a hoax, I just don't think I could let it go. A few of those...I can't think of anything bad enough to call them. BRING THAT SNIT TO ME YOU TWISTED F**KS! God I hope one of them is on this site, if you are on this site, PM me I'd like to take you out for a nice Sunday drive[:(!][xx(][:(!] GIVE THEM TO ME! I WANT A NAME!

And for the record, shooting prairie dogs "for the fun of it" is not acceptable in my book either. I know those of you who do it don't give a rats * what I think, but you would if I saw you doing it. The only reasons to kill ANY wild animal are for food, safety, or over population in a controlled hunt. I'm sorry, it's just not something I can see as acceptable. Before you post a response about how they are a menace and eat crops and tear up your yard, I know this and that is an acceptable and valid reason to hunt them. It's the "just for fun" part that doesn't fly with me.

Consistency is the final refuge of the unimaginative
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Comegetit, relax, lol. It's supposedly happening on a french island. But so far all I've seen from the links shared in this thread is that it appears to be just a dog that got a fishing hook caught in it's upper lip.

edited November -1
    rldowns- That is very good news. I am still so pissed of I can't see straight. Thanks for the post, I'm calming down a bit now. I was starting to think about how crappy is was going to be to spend the rest of my life in prison.

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After seeing that, I would like to take Frenchy and put that hook throu
    his little Dick and troll for white sharks[}:)][:(!][:(!]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks to me like it ggoes through the roof of its mouth; if so it would not tear out that easily. I would not put it past peta to do that on purpose just to further their anit-hunting/ anti-gun terrorist agenda.

www.petakillsanimals.com

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    Don't know if its true, I hope not.

But I'm with comengetit.

Being a dog lover, I'd have no problem clickin one off at the clown that would do that.

A guy in my shotgun league lives to hunt. I've been out with him for ducks, goose, railbirds, etc.

He'll kill anything. He is not a sportsman and I told him so. He will go over his limit and leave them there to suffer and die. Earlier this week he told me that he shot a cat, couple of sea gulls, etc.

I will not go huntin with him anymore.
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rldowns3
    It's too bad we can't do the same thing with stray cats around the U.S. cities.

Cats make the BEST shark bait. [}:)]
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    My dog barks.

Some.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rogue_rob
    How come they don't fuss about the live minnows used every day by hundreds or thousands of fisherman????

I see no difference.

jumpmaster.bmp

fishermen are next on the agenda first it starts out all save the dogs, which should be done, but takeaway are minnows away ah man its on

no more no more no more no more
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few points:

1. If you watch closely, the video shows the hooks are through the soft tissue of the dogs lips/snout (not his maxilla or skull). The proof is that near the end of the video the vet moves the hook around without moving the dogs head with it. If you think about it, this isn't really all that much more painful than having your ears (or lips!) pierced.

oddzxspiercing02.jpg

There is no way you are driving a large treble hook through a dogs palate while he's conscious, through the upper plate of his maxilla then all the way out through his skin. Impossible unless he is anesthetized (which makes the fishing story implausible).

There is also no way that after having that done the dog would sit there calmly while a Vet manipulates it.

2. My dog once did that exact same thing to HIMSELF, bit into a treble hook! (Dog was NEVER so happy as when I removed the hook by snipping off the barbs with a wire-cutter). I bet most of these stories of "hooked" puppies and kittens are similar. . .animal bites into hook maybe even a baited one.

3. You can't fish using a 60 pound labrador as live bait hooked through its lips. It simply doesn't make physical sense. The dog would drown in moments (defeating any point in using live bait) and/or the hook would get torn out (defeating the purpose of the whole exercise). The story is just completely implausible.

If you wanted to do something like that you MIGHT use a puppy or small dog, and put the hook elsewhere. Not incidentally, I have no idea why anyone would even try using a dog when you could get the same effect easier, cheaper, and more effectively using fish as bait, or even just a chunk of bloody meat.

Speaking of using a puppy for bait, apparently this topic HAS been discussed recently on SNOPES, though not yet debunked formally by that site:

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=001359;p=1

Edit: I admit that my French is horrible, but watching the video one certainly gets the impression that its about a problem with stray dogs, NOT about fisherman using dogs for bait! Can anyone who speaks French give a quickie translation? That will answer any questions.

I'd bet that what happened to that dog was the same that happened to my dog. . .he bit into a fishhook he shouldnt have.
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    I heard it was open season on fishermen over there. Anyone care to go on a small safari![:D]

Seriously tho, that is definately some bad snit! I signed the petition![:)]

Delta.gif

tn_people112.gif
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The hooks look like they are through the palate and the skull.
    If you watch the French video it appears the dog is at a vet
    being prepared for an operation to remove the hooks.
  • Options
    SKYDIVER386SKYDIVER386 Member Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One more question for all you peole that think this is real;

How would you get this into the dog in the first place? Every dog I have ever seen would tear you up in self defense if you tried this. Jeeze I have a hard time trimming my dogs claws!

"Muslims are the first victims of Islam. Many times I have observed in my travels in the Orient, that fanatacism comes from a small number of dangerous men who maintain the others in the practice of religion by terror. To liberate a Muslim from his religion is the best service one can render him."
    -E. Renan
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Use that URL translator and read for yourselves.
    [:D]a.gif
    The older I get, the better I was!
  • Options
    ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to leave it as not plausible. It's safer this way.

• Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a few hundred rounds for my SKS and 40p. Lets head over and show them why they don't do that!

"Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it." - Me

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/

EMCFRtn.jpgEMT.jpg
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslovers
    I've got a few hundred rounds for my SKS and 40p. Lets head over and show them why they don't do that!

I say we use anyone we find doing this and use them as Bear bait!

"Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it." - Me

EMCFRtn.jpgEMT.jpg

EMCFRtn.jpgEMT.jpg
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya know, looking close at the photo, some things here don't add up.

1. If the dog is a stray or "wild" dog, why does it have a collar on?

2. If the dog is a stray or "wild", why are there no restraints on it?

3. The dog is in a vet clinic and appears to be quite content with being handled.

4. Don't you think if the dog was stray or "wild", after getting a hook shoved in his face, being cooped up inside a building, and being handled by a stranger, that dog should have the "thousand mile" stare (look) in his eyes.

I doubt this dog was ever intended as bait. I would be willing to bet the practice of live baiting with dogs or cats does exsist, but this dog... no.

What do you think?