In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

cell phones cause brain tumors

RevolutionJimRevolutionJim Member Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in General Discussion
cordless phones as well and living next to a cell tower is the worst.

quote:Long mobile phone use raises brain tumor risk
Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:35 PM ET
STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - The use of mobile phones over a long period of time can raise the risk of brain tumors, according to a Swedish study released on Friday, contradicting the conclusions of other researchers.
forgot link
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2006-03-31T173517Z_01_L31442292_RTRUKOC_0_US-PHONES.xml

Comments

• spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Well, you know, we're all gonna die of something.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    dumblooker.jpg
    That MY cell or yours?
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    revjim quote:cell phones cause brain tumors

...did they do a test on mice? If they did, how did they get cell phones small enough to fit the little micey hands? Did "they" listen in (wiretap) to see what the mice were saying?...your a hoot man, you have ulcers?...[;)]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm using my cell phone to treat my brain tumor; radiation therapy![8D][:0][:p][:D]
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Canadian mice, man .... they're HUGE!
    green.gif
  • RevolutionJimRevolutionJim Member Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bloviator:
    argue with Reuters

it is microwaves. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that microwaves are bad for humans, well maybee it does. it cooks brains slowly, but just go ahead and go to some medical quack and tell him you have high blood preasure and take the petrochemicals, it'll all be over soon.
  • RevolutionJimRevolutionJim Member Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Frog is that some of that pick@sshole art?
    edited November -1
    revjim quote:Frog is that some of that pick@sshole art?

...this almost shakes my faith in you. You have always been so "mellow", and not confrontational in any way...you know, kinda in a hippie sort of way...I can feel my faith in mankind beggining to dwindell, (dwindell, dwindell)...[:(]

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    revjim quote:bloviator:
    argue with Reuters

...WHAT?? Argue with GOD??

quote:it is microwaves. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that microwaves are bad for humans, well maybee it does. it cooks brains slowly,

...so let me run this by you for clareification.
    Say,...if you want, you could just use a couple of cell phones, no matter where you are/were, to slow cook you up a mess of brains, if you got a hankering for some?...[;)]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't care I only use my cell phone like a field radio.
    "hello, where you at? goodbye" etc.

But I have noticed an increased level of stupidity in female drivers, could it be due to hours spent gossiping on cell phones??? [:D]
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Don't own one, never HAVE owned one, don't plan to get one.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess the end is near for me....
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Can you hear me now? Can you hear me now?
  • tysonagreentysonagreen Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RevolutionJim
    bloviator:
    argue with Reuters

it is microwaves. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that microwaves are bad for humans, well maybee it does. it cooks brains slowly, but just go ahead and go to some medical quack and tell him you have high blood preasure and take the petrochemicals, it'll all be over soon.

-Disclaimer, the following information is provided for anyone who actually care about learning the truth. It is not meant to insight an argument from the sky is falling crowd.

Power is kind of an important factor in dealing with microwaves. You can't compare a 500W microwave oven to a cell phone. This is more of that 1950s scare you with technology you don't understand bullcrap. A microwave is just a radio wave that is small, hence microwave. They can be used to heat things, but that doesn't mean that all of them will cook you. We are constantly bombarded with microwaves, if you are really that concerned about them you need to build yourself a faraday cage to live in. A faraday cage is a box covered in fine wire mesh, which will effectively block all radio waves.
  • dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Rev. Jim, is that the same Reuters that is totally controlled by the Government when they publish things you disagree with? Just checking, since we wouldn't want you to make a mistake and mix-up your sources, would we. That might have some negative effect upon your creditability.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    What creditabilty?????????
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might I suggest a tin foil hat to protect you from EMF's
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cordless phones as well and living next to a cell tower is the worst.

Here you go, Jim. Put this on and you'll be fine.

the_optimist.jpg
    edited November -1
    And to think of the poor LEO's that have a 5 Watt radio, pager, and cell phone, mounted on there shoulders. [:D][;)][:I][:o)]
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I often wondered why drivers talking on them drove like morons.

Just like everyone's glow in the dark clocks and watches used to be radium laced and unshielded X-ray machines were used to fit your shoes.

The Roman drank out of lead lined goblets.

Technology will find a way to get you![;)]
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FACT.....cell phones cause EXTREME IRRITATION when used in inappropriate places
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    FACT.....cell phones cause EXTREME IRRITATION when used in inappropriate places

YOU KNOW the vibrate mode was put there for a reason.[:D]
  • dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They can cause a colicky colon if stored wrong, particularly if stored that way by someone irritated by inappropriate use.[:D]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tysonagreen
    Power is kind of an important factor in dealing with microwaves. You can't compare a 500W microwave oven to a cell phone. This is more of that 1950s scare you with technology you don't understand bullcrap. A microwave is just a radio wave that is small, hence microwave. They can be used to heat things, but that doesn't mean that all of them will cook you. We are constantly bombarded with microwaves, if you are really that concerned about them you need to build yourself a faraday cage to live in. A faraday cage is a box covered in fine wire mesh, which will effectively block all radio waves.

Dammit, why did you have to go and point out that a 0.4 Watt cell phone isn't as dangerous as a 700 watt microwave oven? (The latter probably being the lowest wattage you'll find).

Where'd I put my hat again?

16489754_19dd190e7f_s.jpg
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever compare the radiation emitted by a Coleman lantern mantle to that emitted by a cell phone? Think I'm kidding? Look it up.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Here's a fact about LIFE.....

Ain't NOBODY gettin out ALIVE!!!!
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Haven't heard about the tumor thing but I've SEEN mutations...a guy with one growing right out of his head...
    Wirelessphoneheadset.jpg
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    Are you sure it not brain tumors that cause cell phones?If cell phones cause brain tumors, how long will it be before half the country is in the hospital ?This is a typical republican speaking with authority from a position of ignorance that does not understand the problem[:D][:D][:D]I didn't vote for the moron , did you?[:D][:D][:D]
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And.....They will cause all your babies to be born naked.....!!
    Your a freek'en gomer...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grunt2
    And.....They will cause all your babies to be born naked.....!!
    Your a freek'en gomer...

[:D][:D]
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Igf you are using a cell phone that much that it causes such problem you need to GET A LIFE!!!!
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Never trust a Swedish brain surgeon.
    edited November -1
    Frog is that some of that pick@sshole art?

Well, for Pete's sake, what do you expect from a guy with a cell-phonic brain tumor?!![:D][:p][:D]
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Saliva causes cancer!,..but only if swallowed in small quantities over long periods of time.....Carlin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Saliva causes cancer!,..but only if swallowed in small quantities over long periods of time.....Carlin

Sheesh! No kidding? I'm really screwed up now....What can you drink to counteract this devastating malady?!?[:0][xx(][:p][:D]
  • spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard that cell phones are linked to cancer, and I never believed it. But then some folks (who I consider to be relatively credible) said that cell phones were linked to brain tumors. I'm still very skeptical. But if anybody has a credible reference (by which I mean a peer-refereed scientific journal), I'd like to hear about it.

Here's why I think cell phones cannot cause cancer:

Cell phones, radios, light, the heat lamps (infra-red light) that they use at McDonalds, and microwaves are all just part of the electromagnetic spectrum. These classifications of the electromagnetic spectrum are based on differences in the wavelengths (light travels as a wave, just like water in the ocean....wavelength is just the distance from wave-crest to wave-crest) of the electromagnetic energy we are describing.

So for example, we see visible light in the range of about 420 to 740 nanometer wavelengths (a nanometer is about .000000039 inches). Ultraviolet light, which causes suntans and skin cancer occurs at just slightly shorter wavelengths than that (about 380-420 nanometers). Infra-red light, which McDonalds uses to keep french fries warm, occurs at wavelenghts just a little bit longer than what we can see (~740-800 nm). Radio waves that bring you Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh or the top 40 (assuming you're still using an old-school radio) come to you at somewhere between about 50km and 1000km wavelengths (km = kilometer and is about 0.6 miles). Microwaves, which we use to heat our food and also to transmit cellular telephone calls occur in the range of about 1 cm to 100 cm (that's between about a third of an inch and a little more than a yard).

So there's some baselines. But here's the trick about electromagnetic energy: the shorter the wavelength, the higher the energy, and the greater the potential to do us harm. Radio, which transmits with wavelenghts much greater than a mile, is harmless. The kind of radiation you might worry about from a nuclear reaction transmits at wavelengths almost 1000 times shorter than the light we can see (if you put that in terms of inches you'd have a decimal point and then about nine zeros before you got to a number). Ultra-violet light, which causes skin cancer, occurs at wavelenghts just slightly shorter than that which we can see, about 400 nanometers. Cell phones use microwave energy, which transmits in the range of 1 cm (about .4 inches), which is about equal to 1,000,000 nanometers. And in between that 380 nanometers that can cause skin cancer, and the 1,000,000 nanometers, at which our cell phones transmit, we have the visible light. That is, violet, blue.....etc. Our sun's greatest energy output is in the visible light spectrum (and in evolutionary terms, it's not surprising that we're adapted to see in the 420-740 range, because that's where our sun provides the most information).

Ok, here's the short story about energy produced from various processes (one cm is about .4 of an inch, just for reference):

Nuclear fusion: 0.000,000,000,000,1 cm wavelength. Very high energy. you really don't want to be there when it happens. Death occurs within hours.

X-Rays: 0.000,000,01 cm wavelength. These are medically useful, but carry enough energy to damage human DNA. X-ray technicians wear equipment to monitor their exposure to X-rays, because excessive doses are harmful. This is also why your dentist puts a lead-filled sheet over your body (and then he leaves the room) when he is giving you an oral x-ray.

Ultra-violet: Bees and some birds (and probably other things that I'm not aware of) can see light in the UV range. Humans cannot. Light in the range of 0.000,038 to 0.000,042cm still carries enough energy to damage DNA, but also causes a nice tan.

Visible light: Yes, we see this. It also is the light that is produced in greatest abundance by our sun. Go figure. Wavelengths about 0.000,042 to 0.000,074 cm. Within that range we go from violet to red, through the familiar sequence of the rainbow.

Infra-red light: 0.000,074 to 0.1 cm (this is further divided into 'near IR and far IR, but I'm not going there). This is where a heat lamp works. It's also the basis of 'night vision' goggles, and the sensing system that pit-viper snakes use to sense their prey. A pit viper can find a mouse at a distance of 3 feet, based on infra-red radiation. This is the same as detecting a temperature difference of just a few thousandths of a degree, celsius!

Microwaves: 0.1 cm to 100 cm. This is how we heat food. It is also how we transmit cell phone calls. And it has a lot less energy than the vibrant blue of the ocean. And very much less energy than the sun's radiation that produces a sun tan. And that's why I don't believe cell phones can cause cancer.

Radio: You can pretty much take it from 100 cm on up. This part of the spectrum carries very little energy.

My bottom line: I don't understand how a radiation source that is less energetic than visible light can be damaging. If anybody sees a hole in this argument or can provide a counter-argument, I'm very interested to hear it.
  • spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, wait!

I have a shorter answer:

Revolution Jim, get some meds!
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since I BELIEVE this snit I gotta go on the assumption that RJ was born & raised under one of those transmitter towers.
    [^]barto[^]
  • restoreguyrestoreguy Member Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RJ,
    Come on Jim, you really, really can do better than this hackneyed, tired piece of worn out rumor. Find something new and interesting. This one has been debunked five times for everytime you conspiracy types have drug it out of the closet over the last 20 years....!!!