In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

muzzle loader safety check

pointman821pointman821 Member Posts: 872
edited November 2005 in General Discussion
yesterday, i went to a call where a guy was test firing his T/C 50 cal muzzle loader. he had the correct charge and as far as i could tell, the barrel was not obstructed. anyway, when he fired, the breech plug flew backwards, forcing the bolt back into the reciever plug. the reciever plug, bolt spring and bolt were lodged in his right cheek. they were able to remove the bolt only of which about half an inch was sticking out.(the bolts about 3 or 4 inches long). the spring and reciever plug were lodged back near his ear or something and they had to do surgery to remove them. just a safety reminder to all you muzzle loader hunters out there.

Comments

• Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is real hard to understand. I feel bad for the guy, but how can the breech plug blow out the back end. It is threaded in a long ways!

When you talk about spring and bolt, what are you talking about? This is the T/C Omega 50, right? Maybe I don't know what you are talking about ... or I don't know what I'm talking about.

For what it's worth, I've never heard about ANY problems with the T/C Omega 50. What is T/C saying about it? They guarantee for life!
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    What comes to mind first is maybe the guy didn't know what he was doing and used SMOKELESS powder!

Somewhat of a standard load for a .50 cal is 100 grains of BP. I can see where 100 grains of even the slowest burning Smokeless powder could do this type of damage.

WW2Guns005.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if he used smokless powder not BP? or a double bullet/bore obstruction. That would take a HUGE over pressure to get anything like that to happen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i couldnt belive it either. the plugs do go in a good ways, but i saw it for myself. best i could tell, he had three 50 grain bp pellets. from what im told is a standard load.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds to me like he forgot to screw in the breech plug. No acceptable load for that gun would have blown it up. Kabooms are 99% operator error.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pointman--150 grains? I've never ventured beyond 100 grains. I know some ML's are DESIGNED to take 150. Was his DESIGNED to accept 150? 150 is NOT a standard load. That's what some would call a "magnum load".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    pointman--150 grains? I've never ventured beyond 100 grains. I know some ML's are DESIGNED to take 150. Was his DESIGNED to accept 150? 150 is NOT a standard load. That's what some would call a "magnum load".

im not real up to par on m/l loads,since id dont own one. a few of my coworkers that i talked to said that 150 is a standard load. the loose breech plug does sound like a likely culprit, but i never got to see it b/c it was still in the guys cheek.