In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

If You Were Running for POTUS

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in General Discussion
What would you campaign on for 2A freedom reform?

Reverse import ban from George Bush sr?

Repeal 1986 SAFE Act. Make it legal to manufacture full auto and sell to the public?

Repeal 1968 act. No more registration for fa.

Repeal 1934 NFA.

Close the ATF.

Why do we accept open end statements like I like your guns and you can keep them.... . If these guys were more specific , it would get out out the vote un swing states. The left wing voters don't care that much. They see the status quo no different than reform and repeal.

POTUS could just say they will not prosecute NFA violations. Works for Barry to pick and chose what laws he will follow.

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1

It is now a part of the 1968 Gun Control Act and can only be altered by the Congress

Repeal 1986 SAFE Act. Make it legal to manufacture full auto and sell to the public?
    It is now a part of the 1968 Gun Control Act and can only be altered by the Congress

It can only be altered or repealed by the Congress

Repeal 1934 NFA.

Close the ATF.
    Yes. Reagan wanted to do it, feeling the duties of the BATF could be handled by other agencies, but couldn't get it accomplished. The problem is that thanks to the Patriot Act, now the BATF is a part of the Justice Department and getting rid of it is many times more difficult.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope

I would smile and lie through my teeth at all the free stuff they will have and rights and how Obama was the only the beginning of the free stuff.

After my victory, I would kill all social programs, and build them ground up to lower limits, more effort on the reciepients part. Do drugs or commit a crime, no welfare for you. To hell with prisons they are not a deterent any more. Redirect funds to Education, Military and NASA. I would kill the IRS for a flat tax. Gut the BATF&E and EPA. Bring back the firing squad.

Tell China to piss off, games up. I would kill the debt, focus on infrastructure not foreign aid.

Some one attacks my Embassey, I will systimatically begin blowing up govt buildings until that govt brings the attacks to an instant screeching halt.

You * about America, your get a 1 way tickets to anywhere. Everyone will be Americans, or you will be other.

Convicts of gangs will be turned over to the military to retraining.

Deal with mental illness, homeless.

And then, I would dispose of all nfa rules and regs.

Term limits

No pay for congress or president, it should be ones duty to serve their country.

But I am too slow and dumb to be president. Maybe if I were just a little more boring, I just might be qualified.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid

<Just off the cuff>
    My approach would be different, I would start with what is on the books and clean out all of the nonsensical crap. Features/Functions etc.

Criminal <premeditated gun crime> would be stiffened x4 Undocumented immigrant/Gang member (any race) automatic death penalty.
    That would be a start-
  • mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gotta say it seems like a whole lot more is being done for 2A rights at the state level than at the national level. Concealed carry, open carry, carry in more and more places--all in all, seems like a lot of grassroots victories.

There are a whole lot of silly people up north and on the west coast that you have to turn around for national level stuff. Man, are there ever a lot of them.

And I have always, always said that full auto OWNERS will fight like the dickens to keep it illegal to make new machine guns for regular folks. Once you've sunk high five figures into some machine gun, no way in the world you're going to allow new ones to be made and sold for $4,000.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that's the laundry list pretty much.

1. abolish the 1986 FOPA

2. abolish the 1968 GCA

3. abolish the 1934 NFA

would not close down the ATF. would give it a clean sweep, keep them on a short leash, and remind them that anything even close to Waco, Ruby Ridge or stomping on kittens would spell their doom and lots of time in the slammer.

as the president of the United States, I would feel appropriately empowered to, nay compelled! to sign executive orders annulling most all gun laws in all 50 states, because they quite plainly do not adhere to the 2nd Amendment.

oh I'm sure many people would scream bloody murder... and the other half of the United States would applaud. I wouldn't be cowed by the first half.

"the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

that means no laws pertaining to magazine capacity, caliber, origin of manufacture, accessories, rate of fire, mode of fire, waiting periods, permits to buy, licenses to own, "gun rationing", or restrictions on type of ammo.

currently each state does it differently, some trampling all over the 2A. so that may be a point of "state's rights", and they will certainly complain that the federal government has no right to do that. but with the recent Supreme Court ruling of happy marriages affecting every state, I would remind them that if they can have that, they can have this. besides, what's the Constitution for if it doesn't apply to each state that joins the union of states? if the federal government doesn't enforce it (specifically the President), who does?

and finally, and most importantly, I would state plainly that the reason behind scrapping those gun laws and adhering to the 2nd Amendment is not a matter of what people "should be allowed to have" or not, or popular opinion, or what "everybody else" thinks you need or not, but a matter of rights, and that is what Law must turn on.

I would remind them that the foundation of this country is not collective rights but individual rights, and that as a free people each one has the freedom to own guns, as easily as they have the freedom to speak.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    1. Enact a monthly payment to every US Citizen over age 18, amount to be determined. Citizens age 0-17 would receive prorated amount. this system would replace all government entitlements of non-earned/paid funds.
    2. Repeal prohibition of all naturally occurring controlled substances (cocaine, heroin,etc)

These changes would eliminate the need for fathers to be out of the home for the family to receive welfare, and remove the disincentives for employment. They would also remove the primary source of funds for gangs and drug cartels, thus the wealth presently available to street gangs would disappear.

So for the 2nd amendment- with the families being reunited and street crime reduced, there would be no issue with someone having a gun and the regulatory aspects of gun purchases and ownership could be significantly reduced.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,541 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would never get elected If I stated what I wanted to do.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,974 ******
    edited November -1
    I would invite God back into our country,,the rest would fall into place,,[;)][;)][;)]
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,974 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    I would never get elected If I stated what I wanted to do.

You just got my vote,,[;)][;)]
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian

Repeal 1934 NFA.

Close the ATF.
    Yes. Reagan wanted to do it, feeling the duties of the BATF could be handled by other agencies, but couldn't get it accomplished. The problem is that thanks to the Patriot Act, now the BATF is a part of the Justice Department and getting rid of it is many times more difficult.

what happens when Congress passes an unconstitutional law?
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First thing I would do is paint myself black and have a sex change. Guaranteed victory.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster

Repeal 1934 NFA.

Close the ATF.

All of the above are Constitutional.

The NFA-1934 is modeled after the Harrison Narcotics Act of 1914. That went to the Supreme Court half a dozen times and was upheld each time because Congress has the absolute power to tax. The Act itself went to the Supreme Court in the famous Miller Case and was upheld because it is a tax.

The GCA-1968 is based on the so called Commerce Clause of the Constitution; Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3 of the U.S. Constitution, which gives Congress the power "to regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes." Pretty straightforward there.

The 1985 restriction on the registration of new machineguns for private citizens is not legally a ban. The BATF is prohibited from collecting the $200 NFA Tax on new machine guns registered for other than sale to law enforcement or as so called Dealer Sales Samples...Which are in most cases exempt from the tax. Since you can't own a MG without having paid the NFA tax (unless you inherit an existing registered MG), and the NFA has been deemed to be Constitutional, all of the attempts to circumvent it through federal courts have failed.

The 1989 Bush Ban was an Executive Order where Poppa Bush was able to have the Department of the Treasury declare certain imported semi automatic rifles to be non sporting. The GCA-68 specifically allows for the Secretary of the Treasury to make such determinations on imported firearms. The Treasury had been doing the same thing with imported handguns since 1968 so the concept was nothing new. Since the Secretary is a member of the Presidential Cabinet...Well, when your boss says jump, you ask how high? Later, the ban became permanent and was incorporated into the GCA-68 by the Congress.

Poppa Bush of course accomplished nothing other than his losing the 1992 election. Gun owners were very angry, while anti gunners were unimpressed since the numbers of firearms restricted was actually small. While the '89 ban was significant to gun owners, in the big scheme of the gun business, the numbers of imported assault weapons represented just a tiny sliver of the overall industry. Bill Clinton promised to go even further on gun control, so the anti gun vote went to him.

None of the above is what you want to hear, but I very seldom tell people in this forum what they want to hear.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Repeal 1934 NFA.

Close the ATF.

Get with the times man. This is the new United States of America for which words don't mean anything. it's a living breathing Constitution as it can be manipulated accordingly. President can pick and choose what laws to enforce and what laws to ignore. We are fools to play by the old rules when our opponents play by no rules.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the ATF is a part if the Justice department, then why are they collecting taxes for the treasury? I though 1934 was for tax generation.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stop the foreign aid
    Stop the free hand outs on welfare
    Pull all troops back home
    Increase the defense budget
    Pass 50 state carry
    Make drug test mandatory for any federal aid
    No guidelines on drug users. Shot on sight selling or manufacturing .
    Federal aid to funeral homes to handle all the dead drug folks
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would try to repeal all gun laws as useless and ineffective infringements.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would encourage people to vote for someone other than anyone already in office or who has spent a dime to get in office
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,467 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster

Repeal 1934 NFA.

Close the ATF.

All of the above are Constitutional.

The NFA-1934 is modeled after the Harrison Narcotics Act of 1914. That went to the Supreme Court half a dozen times and was upheld each time because Congress has the absolute power to tax. The Act itself went to the Supreme Court in the famous Miller Case and was upheld because it is a tax.

The GCA-1968 is based on the so called Commerce Clause of the Constitution; Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3 of the U.S. Constitution, which gives Congress the power "to regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes." Pretty straightforward there.

The 1985 restriction on the registration of new machineguns for private citizens is not legally a ban. The BATF is prohibited from collecting the $200 NFA Tax on new machine guns registered for other than sale to law enforcement or as so called Dealer Sales Samples...Which are in most cases exempt from the tax. Since you can't own a MG without having paid the NFA tax (unless you inherit an existing registered MG), and the NFA has been deemed to be Constitutional, all of the attempts to circumvent it through federal courts have failed.

The 1989 Bush Ban was an Executive Order where Poppa Bush was able to have the Department of the Treasury declare certain imported semi automatic rifles to be non sporting. The GCA-68 specifically allows for the Secretary of the Treasury to make such determinations on imported firearms. The Treasury had been doing the same thing with imported handguns since 1968 so the concept was nothing new. Since the Secretary is a member of the Presidential Cabinet...Well, when your boss says jump, you ask how high? Later, the ban became permanent and was incorporated into the GCA-68 by the Congress.

Poppa Bush of course accomplished nothing other than his losing the 1992 election. Gun owners were very angry, while anti gunners were unimpressed since the numbers of firearms restricted was actually small. While the '89 ban was significant to gun owners, in the big scheme of the gun business, the numbers of imported assault weapons represented just a tiny sliver of the overall industry. Bill Clinton promised to go even further on gun control, so the anti gun vote went to him.

None of the above is what you want to hear, but I very seldom tell people in this forum what they want to hear.

It is safe to say, Mark, that having SCOTUS find a law Constitutional makes it Constitutional by definition.

That said, the 1934 NFA and Reagans 1986 FOPA obviously do not comport with the phrase 'shall not be infringed', and the fact that they are technically Constitution under one article does not change the fact that they are unconstitutional when viewed through the 2nd Amendment.

Today they are Constitutional by definition, but this does not mean they will always be Constitutional. I live for the day when Government views the Constitution as is intended; a limitation upon the powers of government, and not a series of words to be manipulated in order to gain as much control as is possible.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I would pass by executive order that every household be required to have a gun on premise.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Stop the foreign aid
    Stop the free hand outs on welfare
    Pull all troops back home
    Increase the defense budget
    Pass 50 state carry
    Make drug test mandatory for any federal aid
    No guidelines on drug users. Shot on sight selling or manufacturing .
    Federal aid to funeral homes to handle all the dead drug folks

[:D]
    What's next?
  • kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid

Get with the times man.

That's an interesting statement in a forum which is up in arms over happy marriage (which I personally don't approve of) and is fighting tooth and nail to hold onto the old Confederate flag.

Wait for the spin. We all know it's coming.