In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

looking for new small SUV/crossover...

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
edited February 2008 in General Discussion
Models currently looking at:

Dodge Caliber
Toyota Rav4
Honda CRV

anyone have anything good or bad to say about any of these?

Comments

• Options
    ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
  • Options
    flyfisher363flyfisher363 Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One further choice is the GMC acadia, lots of features, onstar, autotrac, 10 way seats (driver AND passenger) should be less $$
  • Options
    smellslikemichigansmellslikemichigan Member Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 2000 crv i used to drive (the ex wife has it now) was reliable and as far as i know, still runs just fine. never had any problems with it. it was a little lacking in power, but got descent gas mileage. it handled pretty well off road in the arizona desert too.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honda Element.....

otherwise, CRV.

Ton's of CRV's running round with 200+k miles on em.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    wartigerwartiger Member Posts: 3,861
    edited November -1
    Just bought a 2007 Jeep Compass in two wheel drive. Love it. Basically a Dodge Caliber with different sheet metal. Engine IS NOT Mopar, but a joint effort with Mitsubishi and Chrysler. From what I have read, this engine is supposed to be top notch. Has CVT, Constant Velocity Transmission. No shifts. Just smooth, acceleration. Strong little four banger with great mileage, killer sound system(Boston Accoustics) and enough room for the family and luggage for long trips. Very impressed with this little Jeep. Does come in all wheel drive, but more pricey. Got mine for under $15,000.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I drove the Toyota and Honda CRV a couple times and bought a
    Ford Escape instead. I got a 4 banger/five speed...It gets 29 +
    on the highway. More ground clearance. I bought it 15 months ago and am very pleased with it.

I really liked the Honda, but decided to go with the Ford because the financing was better and it is made in America.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by William81
    I drove the Toyota and Honda CRV a couple times and bought a
    Ford Escape instead. I got a 4 banger/five speed...It gets 29 +
    on the highway. More ground clearance. I bought it 15 months ago and am very pleased with it.

I really liked the Honda, but decided to go with the Ford because the financing was better and it is made in America.

Had thought of an Escape but my in-laws have one and I hate it. It rattles, eats up tires and is just not well built. This is coming from a Ford guy too...Edge is a little over what we can spend (it will be our 3rd vehicle). Need something for me and wife, 2 kids and 100lb black lab.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do me a favor, and just test drive the Element.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the way my Escape rides.....but....it has had the transmission worked on, the ENGINE replaced and now one of my wheels sounds like a knobby 4-wheel drive tire (I think its my "boot") from what I've been told. I like the car except for all of that.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget the Saturn. Go look, you may be surprised.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    also will be looking at the Jeep Compass and Patriot. Cubs, I just cannot get past the looks of the Element.
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    funny thing...
    when I see a Jap SUV I think of WWII Jap tanks...except the SUVs are probably better armored [:D]
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my folks own an older CRV and love it--I bought a Jeep Patriot in Oct and I have been very pleased with it. I got it in 4x4 and for under $18K. It has been great in the snow.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:Don't forget the Saturn. Go look, you may be surprised.

+1, the Saturn VUE is powered by a 250hp 3.0 honda v-6, long regarded as one of he best v-6's on the market, plus the rest of the car is made in Tennesse.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy something from the U.S. makers.
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Bought a CR-V new in 1998. Wife drove the wheels off it, put 140,000 miles on it before we sold it. Other than putting front brakes on it (an easy DIY job) and one re-call that Honda handled perfectly, we had no problems at all. I don't like the Element, just for cosmetic reasons. Looks like a box on wheels. If we didn't have kids to haul around, would buy another CR-V in a heartbeat. Honda makes a great vehicle.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    my folks own an older CRV and love it--I bought a Jeep Patriot in Oct and I have been very pleased with it. I got it in 4x4 and for under $18K. It has been great in the snow.

Hows your gas mileage in the Patriot? I like the looks of that min-ute.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do yourself a favor ...
    ... if there is a Saturn dealer nearby, drive an Outlook.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,240 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good female friend of mine bought the Toyota seven years ago. She loved it. Put 135,000 miles on it, and never had a problem. She decided it just had a few too many miles, and two weeks ago traded it in for a new one. She gives it 2 thumbs up.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41

Hows your gas mileage in the Patriot? I like the looks of that min-ute.

I get about 22 to 23mpg with it. It is a 4x4 and I did put a more aggressive treaded mud & snow tire than the factory put on it so I could probably eek out a little more with touring tires. I have gotten more than 23mpg on long trips though, If I really stretch it I can go almost 350 miles on a full tank of gas and no mountains.
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    golden
    I will second what nutfinn said. Try the Mazda CX7.

My younger brother has a 2007 Sport FWD model with the 6 cylinder and automatic. This things rides comfortably, has good power and response and handles extremely well.

My wife considered one until she drove the 2007 Silverado and fell in love with it.