In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

So what is this

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited May 2012 in General Discussion

Comments

• gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High beam switch.

Looks too new to be the starter switch. [;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High beam switch. I prefer the floor location.
  • 1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure that it is the button for the ejection seat - don't ever touch it!![:D]
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gesshots
    High beam switch.

Looks too new to be the starter switch. [;)]

[:)]
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't seen a high beam switch like that since my Dad's old Ford Fairmont! Cool!
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a Forum dimmer switch, usually mounted on the floor below the computer; some of our members have it installed and engage it before posting! [;)][}:)]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    We should have a contest -- everyone try to guess the year, make, and model of the vehicle.

I say it's a '69 Ford F-150.

I agree, that was a good location for a dimmer switch. Anyoone ever have one come apart on you, while driving down the road?
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Well for me I was glad they went to the switch on the Column. Had a hell of a time with my short legs Hitting the dimmer switch on the floor.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by River Rat
    We should have a contest -- everyone try to guess the year, make, and model of the vehicle.

I agree, that was a good location for a dimmer switch. Anyoone ever have one come apart on you, while driving down the road?

I've had them freeze up in work trucks, still like them better than on the column.
  • instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an old Ramcharger that had this. My brother and sister in laws, both young at the time, were convinced I was magic since everyone knows the high beam is located on the column
  • BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    Back about 1978 when dodge started putting the dimmer switch on the steering column, we had new dodges/plymouths that had a button just like that, only that one activated the siren.
  • tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    its a dimmer switch.

How many of you have had your foot slip off the clutch and "high beam" an oncoming car?
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .. Rat, I'll take a WAG and say it's a Chrysler product. Let's say a '70 Dodge PU. What did I win?...[:o)]
  • tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    .. Rat, I'll take a WAG and say it's a Chrysler product. Let's say a '70 Dodge PU. What did I win?...[:o)]

a 70's pickup wouldnt have carpet, would it?

I am guessing a Dodge Polaris
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's sure been awhile for me. Probably about 50 years back! [;)]
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing

I believe US automakers started moving the high beam switch to the turn signal lever in the mid 70's....as I recall. [;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    70's plymouth valiant
  • cmancman Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had a '72 mercury capri and that was the windshield wiper button
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have had em both ...start & light switch on the floor...and one could actually REPAIR a vehicle himself
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    James Bond missle launcher[:0][:D]
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gesshots
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing

I believe US automakers started moving the high beam switch to the turn signal lever in the mid 70's....as I recall. [;)]

chevy pick ups went to the coloumb in 1988.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It always seemed that was the first place of your floor board that started to rot away. They were fun to change when they were rusted in place.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a bus with three of those on the floor, one for high beams, and the other two for right and left turn signals.
    One plus for those floor mounted switches, helluva lot easier to change out, than one in a tilt column steering wheel![:(!]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 74 Corvette has a floor dimmer switch.
  • rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    I wrecked the first vehicle I drove with a column mount dimmer. Got my foot stuck in the steering wheel. [:D]
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rscoleman88
    I wrecked the first vehicle I drove with a column mount dimmer. Got my foot stuck in the steering wheel. [:D]

Now that made me laugh[:D][:D]
  • oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1

I'll venture a guess that there were no F-150's in 1969.
    Ford F 100's weren't they?
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I know a guy who was so adamant about having his dimmer on the floor that he cut a hole in the floor, installed one, and rewired it.

Strange guy.
  • bigboy12bigboy12 Member Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is the switch that opens the trap door/escape hatch in the floorboard. I think Maxwell Smart had one just like it.
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tacking1
    its a dimmer switch.

How many of you have had your foot slip off the clutch and "high beam" an oncoming car?

Even worse. Went to dim the lights for an oncoming State Trooper..... the switch shorted out and killed the lights completely! [B)]
    (he was NOT understanding)
    [V]

Allen
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldrider

Yep! F-100 in 1969.

I'll venture a guess that there were no F-150's in 1969.
    Ford F 100's weren't they?
  • mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one go through the floor in my 1971 Ford F-250 in 1978. Time for a new truck. Another one killed the lights on a Mack truck I was driving as I went into a curve---not too good.
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    They work great until they get all corroded from the salty slush on your boots. My 1980 F-150 had one. My 1993 F-150 has the high beams on the column, I don't miss the food switch. A foot starter switch would be on the right by the throttle.