In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

i need some help

intruder155intruder155 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited February 2007 in General Discussion
i live in oregon and i just turned 21 today i but i do have some guns that are in my mothers name and i was thinking about selling 1 or 2 of them and i dont know how to transfer them into the buyers name

can anyone help with this?

Comments

• intruder155intruder155 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have much time to go on here, but I was informed that my dad might die tomorrow. He has a brain tumor that is pushing on his eyes, that they will attempt to remove by surgery. They are giving him a 50% chance to survive the surgery. If not, that's it. I just found out all of this a few hours ago. After I was saved about 11 years ago, he shortly got saved as well as my mom and were baptized, maybe a year or two after me. So as far as I can tell I will see him again. But either way, I just ask that you help me pray, if you do pray. His surgery will be 11:30 in the morning. I am too far away and have too much going on to get there, but I will attempt to talk to him before then. Can't sleep tonight though I should.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    First, there is no need to do a formal transfer. Just photocopy the buyer's driver's license and put it with your important papers.

I you feel a need for further documentation, a local gun store will do it for a price, while laughing at you.

I'm also an Orygun resident - live in Sheridan, near Lincoln City. Where do you live??

D.
    edited November -1
    By the way, Happy Birthday, and welcome to the funny farm.

D.
    edited November -1
    i dont want to give a stranger a gun thats in my name its unlikely but what if it gets used to kill someone and its still registered in my name i thought there was a way to just transfer it.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell, I have underwear older than you.

Keep the guns; never sell a gun unless it is to buy a better replacement gun or two. Take heed from us older wiser folks.

My .02 ME for President
    edited November -1
    it is to buy a better gun theres probably only one that ill get rid of
    edited November -1
    Would you sell a car to a complete stranger??

It's far more likely that a car will be used to kill someone than one of your guns.

The driver's license copy will cover you, with respect to liability. What the new owner does with your firearm cannot be your responsibility.

D.

D.
    edited November -1
    i never really thought of it light that....but both cars ive sold the buyer has got a loan so there was a title transfer right there...but what if i buy a gun from someone and they just i stole it a week later?
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your guns are not in your mothers name. There is no formal registration database. Your mother was just the one that purchased them and passed the background check for them. Its a myth that someone people believe they are registered. The only places that have a registration are comi states and cities.
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If its found or used in a crime scene they certainly could be traced back to her if she bought them new from a dealer or an FFL
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Oregon as well. Get a copy of their drivers license and make up a sales receipt stating that you sold such and such weapon and the serial number to such and such person and the date. Make two copies. You both sign each copy and you each keep one. I understand your concern and the buyer probably has the same concern about you. This will cover you in the unlikely event that something should happen.
    edited November -1
    What BHAVIN says will certainly cover you, but so will my suggestion.

If you intend to conspire with the buyer to commit murder with the weapon, then do what he says.

D.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The advice given by the above posters is what some here do, if they feel the need. If your mother bought the firearms new, they will NEVER be out of her name. She will forever be the name on the original form 4473.

As Doug Wilson stated, you can go to a dealer, have him log the firearm into his bound book. The dealer then has to fill out a new form 4473 (along with the background check) then log it out of his bound book, in the new buyers name. Some states require this for certain guns, some states do not. Yours doesn't.

What BHAVEN said, is the MOST I have ever done. Sometimes, it's just a handshake. Still legal in this state.

Dealers are charging anywhere between $10 - $100 for this service. Shop around. Who will pay this fee, you or the buyer?

Just FYI, dealers do not turn in their 4473s to the BATF unless requested to do so. If your mother bought the firearms new, and the firearm is recovered in a crime, the police WILL come to talk to your mother first. It's called following the trail from the dealer. YOU then have to tell them about selling it, and which dealer you used to sell the gun. They will go to the dealer and check it out. After HARASSING your mom, because that is what they do. Well, maybe.

And just to let you know, if I was buying a firearm from a private party, and they suggested going through a dealer, I better want that particular firearm REALLY bad, or I'd tell the seller where he could..........
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    unless of course the guns were bought before '68 ....