In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

zippos

savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2008 in General Discussion
does anybody else collect them I have about 30 that freinds have given me thru the years most have gun logos my digital camera is being borrowed again one of these days if anybody is interested I'll take pictures of them and post them

Comments

• Options
    timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah the company that makes them is in Bradford,Pa they have a collection of them on display. You may find more info if you google them
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I have one from a friend who carried it on three tours in Nam.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    There are entire forums and such dedicated to collecting Zippo's!

I have a few myself but nothing that is worth a whole lot.

There are some that can get into the thousands of dollars depending on logo's and series number (normally series I draw the most).

Here is one good site:

http://zippogallery.com/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't have any with any history like that alot of my never knew what to give me for christmas but knew I liked zippos usally get 2 or 3 new ones every year they do make a nice display
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll pass that link to my friends see what happens Dec 25th[:D]
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have 8 of them
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't smoke, so of all things to be awarded the Captain of the USS Midway (CVA-41) gave me one with the Midway's shield in 1972. I still have it; unused in its Zippo box.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    I've got a Budweiser Zippo some place in my all my AB stuff. Still new in the little Zippo box.[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    I don't smoke, so of all things to be awarded the Captain of the USS Midway (CVA-41) gave me one with the Midway's shield in 1972. I still have it; unused in its Zippo box.

sounds nice you might be sitting on gold mine with that one
  • Options
    wartigerwartiger Member Posts: 3,861
    edited November -1
    Of the four or five Zippos that I have, the one that seems to draw the most offers is a Limited edition, only 500 made, D-DAY commerative in it's original tin. Still has the seal on the lighter with all paper work and documentation. I was once offered $500.00 for it and, realizing I might have something, held on to it. Any offers? It's about 15 years old, I bought it while working at the local truck stop right after graduation from highschool.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I have two or three, but they would all be in storage. One is a table type that a 33 year Navy Master Chief gave to me back in the seventies. Never used it. Old-Colts has got me to wondering if this was given to my friend since it has to do with a naval ship too. The wife seems to think it's the Kennedy.

One Zippo that I remember well belonged to one of my junior DIs who had just returned from the NAM. It was Engraved "Sgt Christian, USMC, When I die, bury me face down, so the whole world can kiss my hiney"
    What's next?
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    my zippo, did the full back pack treatment,around the globe, was washed thru a machine , whilst an apprntice & took a rebound shot...still works 25yrs on, but just dont use it now...

memories [:D]
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    My wife used to.

Then she discovered e-bay, and sold most of 'em.

I think she still has some kind of NASCAR commemorative..

I'd have to ask her.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a gang of them. Mostly from ships and stations. I sold most of them at a flea market. I still have three or four. I hadn't thought much about it until you mentioned it, but now I almost wish I had kept them.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    I have a few. I have one that the date was mismarked. The slashes are incorrectly marked. Those of you who collect will know what I mean. I will try to get a picture and post it.
    It is in sad shape, but for a collector that does not have one, may be better than none at all.
    I had a nice one that was given to me by friends when I left Germany in '64. It was stolen from me while I slept in 'Nam in '69. I had it and a pack of cigarettes laying next to me but when I woke up, the lighter was gone.

I couldn't get a good picture of it but it has one slash (/) on the left, and two slashes (//) on the right. It should have been the other way around - two on the left and one on the right. I believe it was made in '79.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I have 2, but they are both BUTANE not that liquid fuel crap that stinks/tastes bad...