In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Installed Vista SP2 today

spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I kept my fingers crossed, I said a prayer, and I went ahead and installed the Vista SP2 update today.

Very scary to see that you no longer have power, sound or network icons, especially on a laptop.

Scarier still that there is no longer ANY sound. Checked online and this is a common problem.

The good news:

If you right click on the taskbar, go to PROPERTIES and then NOTIFICATION area, you can add in the power, sound and network icons by checking the appropriate boxes.

Then, reboot, and all the icons will be there AND you'll have sound.

The laptop actually seems to run a bit faster under SP2. But, it is a nasty trick to hide all those icons without warning.

Comments

• slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    There is nothing wrong with Vista. Most people (obstructionists) that badmouth it would still be running DOS 6.2 if they could.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I've been using Vista for almost two years. I happen to like it.

But, I always am nervous installing service packs... things tend to go wonky and you wind up with unexpected issues.

Thankfully, this was fairly minor, just scary.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    I have two HP Pavilion laptops.

One 4? year old ZV5000-series laptop running XP Pro - and one brand new DV7-1190 Entertainment (gamer-laptop) running Vista Home Premium.

Guess which one is the most powerfull and compatible with every application/program I throw at it

And then guess the other machine that runs Vista, shuts down from time to time, is about 5 minutes to close a program, and slower than the old machine..!

Vista sux

I'm cleaning it and installing KUBUNTU 9.04 Jaunty (linux) instead.
    Allready tried it as a trial-installation - and it worked WAY faster.

Since I only surf, email, use MSN, Skype and such on it - it's fairly simple to set it up with the programs I regularly use.

KUBUNTU is the way to go - and no antivirus needed.!
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    There is nothing wrong with Vista. Most people (obstructionists) that badmouth it would still be running DOS 6.2 if they could.That might be a stretch; probably Windows 3.1.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    I have not been impressed with Vista 32 bit version. The 64 bit platform can use more RAM and is a very stable OS.
    edited November -1
    I'm still running Windows 98 with Servicepack 3 on my gaming-computer (hightower) PC at home.

Simply because it's the best OS for gaming.!!

Vista 64bit is good, yes, but you need 64bit compatible programs to squeze any speed out of the system.

The 64bit computer can run 32bit programs, but has to juggle the 64/32-bit conversion back and forth to make it work.

So if you have enough money, then 64bit is the way to go - just buy 64bit computer, 64bit vista, 64bit office-pack, 64bit antivirus, 64bit firewall 64bit....................................
    edited November -1
    Yep, it does require some $$$ to be completely 64 bit compatible.

Course you could just get a MAC and not have to worry about Vista [:D]
  • ZealotZealot Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HappyNanoq
    I'm still running Windows 98 with Servicepack 3 on my gaming-computer (hightower) PC at home.

Simply because it's the best OS for gaming.!!

Only if you're playing solitaire and minesweeper
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zealot
    Only if you're playing solitaire and minesweeper

I play a lot of games, when the urge hits me.

Mainly QUAKE 1-2-3, Rainbow Six (all versions), Worms (all versions and just for the heck of it)... just about any FPS-game that was once popular. Even the old "REDNECK RAMPAGE" and that old western game... can't recall what it's called.

Those don't run well on Vista.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Nah, we prefer Freedom - www.ubuntu.com (or one of the various BSDs)

quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    There is nothing wrong with Vista. Most people (obstructionists) that badmouth it would still be running DOS 6.2 if they could.
    edited November -1
    I have several small business clients (largest one has 2 servers and about 30 workstations). To date I cannot get any to consider any flavor of Linux on the desktop.

Windoze has been etched on the brain.

Gotta give ole Mr Gates credit: Design software (whether he stole it or not, I will not begin to ponder) and make it easily available to pirate in the business community for years. Then, years later when many businesses rely on your software, force the licensing issue and really rake in some dough. I can't imagine how much the DoD contract with a yearly unlimited license for Windows and Office. I remember getting copies of Windows 3.11 issued from the S2 (before there was a dedicated IT) on hand written 3.5" floppies for all the units PCs at one point. Same with Word and Excel when they came out.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    we just bought a new computer today, and it`s got vista on it, but i would`nt have a clue which version[B)]...so far it`s ok, it just seems strange compared to windows xp, but i`m sure we will adapt soon enough to it.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Slow migration. Start with Firefox and OpenOffice.

THen have a Ubuntu Live CD handy for when a workstation dies - drop the CD in, boot, connect to network shares, carry on.

quote:Originally posted by BaseJumper
    I have several small business clients (largest one has 2 servers and about 30 workstations). To date I cannot get any to consider any flavor of Linux on the desktop.

Windoze has been etched on the brain.

Gotta give ole Mr Gates credit: Design software (whether he stole it or not, I will not begin to ponder) and make it easily available to pirate in the business community for years. Then, years later when many businesses rely on your software, force the licensing issue and really rake in some dough. I can't imagine how much the DoD contract with a yearly unlimited license for Windows and Office. I remember getting copies of Windows 3.11 issued from the S2 (before there was a dedicated IT) on hand written 3.5" floppies for all the units PCs at one point. Same with Word and Excel when they came out.