In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Taps

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
http://www.mamarocks.com/story_of_taps.htm

There are no official words to the music but the following are some of the more popular verses:

Taps
Day is done, gone the sun,
From the hills, from the lake,
From the skies.
All is well, safely rest,
God is nigh.

Go to sleep, peaceful sleep,
May the soldier or sailor,
God keep.
On the land or the deep,
Safe in sleep.

Love, good night, Must thou go,
When the day, And the night
Need thee so?
All is well. Speedeth all
To their rest.

Fades the light; And afar
Goeth day, And the stars
Shineth bright,
Fare thee well; Day has gone,
Night is on.

Thanks and praise, For our days,
'Neath the sun, Neath the stars,
'Neath the sky,
As we go, This we know,
God is nigh.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Time to play Taps for our once great country.
    Lower the flag, fold it up and put it away.
    Turn out the lights behind you as you leave.
    edited November -1
    is on FMC......... made me want to go to Military school when it came out- I was only 9 but [:D][;)][:D][;)]
    edited November -1
    Early this morning, the father of the U.S. Army Special Forces, Col. Aaron Bank passed away. He was 101 years old. He has been ill for some time and many knew it was just a matter of time. May this old soldier finally find the peace he so richly deserves.

De Oppresso Liber

Hylander

"I choose battles I believe to be just."
    edited November -1
    The best mechanics ended up working 2nd or 3rd shift. I was not one of the spit and polished day shift guys.

I have heard Taps played at least 1000 times. It always makes my hair stand up on my arms.
    edited November -1
    Beautiful version of Taps, this young lady makes one have shivers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4l3Rgq-L1M&feature=related
    edited November -1
    Don't know if its been posted here before but its a good rendition. Maybe the best I've ever heard.

http://youtu.be/nJ9VZixY7-0
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little background on Taps from a son of Virginia-

Taps is the only Amerian bugle call. The other calls were borrowed from the British, French, and Germans- but taps- the call to rest- is ours.

If you visit Berkeley Plantation in Charles City County VA, you are visiting the home of 2 US Presidents, the site where Bourbon Whiskey was first made, the location of the REAL first Thanksgiving- and the birthplace of Taps.

Story was that on the 2nd night, the bugler for the Confederate troops on the South side of the James River picked up on Taps, Don't know if that is true, but was present one night when they were recording the playing at the site- and a bugler across the river played it back. It WILL put the hair up on your neck.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Actually it is based on an Italian song... IL SILENZIOA RIEU

Here's a awesome version of the original being done by a little girl...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCX9UY143xI

quote:Originally posted by 11b6r

Taps is the only Amerian bugle call. The other calls were borrowed from the British, French, and Germans- but taps- the call to rest- is ours.

If you visit Berkeley Plantation in Charles City County VA, you are visiting the home of 2 US Presidents, the site where Bourbon Whiskey was first made, the location of the REAL first Thanksgiving- and the birthplace of Taps.

Story was that on the 2nd night, the bugler for the Confederate troops on the South side of the James River picked up on Taps, Don't know if that is true, but was present one night when they were recording the playing at the site- and a bugler across the river played it back. It WILL put the hair up on your neck.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r

Here is the full true story of TAPS and how it came to be:

http://www.tapsbugler.com/24NotesExcerpt/Page1.html