In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

DSL Question..........................

Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
We have been getting pounded by serious rain, and t-storms for the past week or more.

I have been noticing that when the rain is coming down heavy, or lightning is occurring close by that my DSL connection goes down.

Phone line is fine though,........what's up?
I thought that DSL was simply a digital signal piped in along with the regular phone line.
Why do I have use of my phone with NO static, but the DSL becomes "sporadic?"

Could it be a remote switch somewhere that is dedicated to the DSL that is getting wet, or shutting down from a lightning arrester? Very curious about this.[;)]
"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner

Comments

• 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Could it be a remote switch somewhere that is dedicated to the DSL that is getting wet, or shutting down from a lightning arrester? Very curious about this.

that would be my guess, they have hubs {term?} just like the phone in relay stations along side them, not a expert on it by any means, just what i have observed
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    quote:Could it be a remote switch somewhere that is dedicated to the DSL that is getting wet, or shutting down from a lightning arrester? Very curious about this.

that would be my guess, they have hubs {term?} just like the phone in relay stations along side them, not a expert on it by any means, just what i have observed

I was hoping you would see this.

That is all I can think of myself,........sure you know more about it than I do though.

The phone works fine, and now that it has stopped "pouring" and the lightning has moved on, I am back up to speed per se on the DSL side.

I guess I need to make a phone call if this continues to happen.
    Thanks![;)]
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    Circuit that operates DSL is not necessarily same circuit that operates the carrier that provides your dial tone.
    Circuit that operates your carrier (provides dial tone in the sticks) may be fiber optic or copper.
    Circuit that provides DSL signal may be defective, mainly if copper, (getting wet in a splice or damaged somewhere)
    All these things are variable. can be dependent on the condition of phone cable coming to your house.
    Your dial tone may be on seperate wire from demark (grey box on side of house) to phone jack. This wire could be in good shape.
    Your DSL may be on a seperate wire (and probably is) that is bad. Getting wet, insulation bad or chewed. Ensure a good cat 5 phone wire is used.
    Raise heck with your phone company. Keep after them, a repeat customer complaint will get their attention.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dos not DSL also use the airwaves. Part comes thru phone lines part thru the antenna on the DSL Box.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    DSL simply rides the back of the copper twisted pair between your premises and the phone company premises. The normal telephone circuit is a low bandwidth signal. The (A)DSL is very much higher frequency signal and it is sensitive to electrical noise such as that caused by lightning. Are your telephone lines overhead or underground?
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    my charter cable internet does the same thing
    edited November -1
    It isn't related to my house wiring, I know now.

No rain right now, but I hear thunder heading this way again in the distance.

Went out again a few minutes ago.
    It isn't losing "sync" per se, and showing a light on the modem, just no response.

I see the other responses so I guess this is normal when you have really bad weather. I am on Bellsouth BTW.
    Phone lines are overhead to the nearest pole, and then underground to my house, as are my power lines.
  • xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    i have had zero issues,and i'm about 30 miles south of you...
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    have had that happen to several clients that have the Bellsouth DSL here. The slightest noise on that line can disrupt the signal. You are correct that it could be anywhere upstream of you. Dampness on poorly insulated cables (or damaged insulation) will definitely cause this. I would call tech support and bug the hell out of them. The first time you have techs there in the rain looking for a problem they will fix it fast!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    DSL sucks. I had it and everytime it rained in Texas we would lose our connection. went out for 4 days, changed to digital cable , no problems.. Only time we lose connection now is if there is a lightening strike and it shuts off the electricity..

We Use RoadRunner now.. No complaints.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BaseJumper
    have had that happen to several clients that have the Bellsouth DSL here. The slightest noise on that line can disrupt the signal. You are correct that it could be anywhere upstream of you. Dampness on poorly insulated cables (or damaged insulation) will definitely cause this. I would call tech support and bug the hell out of them. The first time you have techs there in the rain looking for a problem they will fix it fast!

I have googled the issue and see it is quite common with Bellsouth/ATT.

I know it isn't in my wiring as this afternoon it was pouring here and I had no issues. I do have cat5 BTW.

A bit later I heard thunder miles off, and saw black skies,......mine goes out. It's a switch, or cable somewhere remote.

Classic,......I don't have your choice, as there is still no cable here. I am on DSL Extreme 6.0 and when it works I get very close to that rating.

This all started recently. Zero issues previously.
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    marc, the higher the speed the more susceptible it is to noise as well. For sure stay on Bellsouth about fixing it. Most technicians I work with from there know their stuff pretty well, so I am sure they can fix it. Just harder for them to isolate it when it is working fine.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I called Vorizen who was my provider of DSL.. First they said I was cut off due to a non paid bill of 12 bucks.. I called them again after talking with the wife, How the Hell could I owe a 12 dollar bill? Then they said they had made a billing mistake and that was not the reason we had lost connection, They then said it would be the 4 days that I mentions due to some equipment failure in Texas.. So I said, Hmmmmmmm your lie about the 12 bucks was a cover up, and they admitted it was. The figured if it was a constant failure of their equipment then I would cancell,, Guess What, I cancelled that same day and got Brighthouse digital all through this house..Cheaper to..