In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can Tapeworms cause your dog's voice to get...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
hoarse? My wife claims that she remembers a vet telling her that it can. My shepherd's voice has gotten hoarse and she's gotten skinnier and is eating more...the wife thinks it might be a tapeworm.

I'm somewhat concerned she may have contracted Hydatid Disease Tapeworms from smelling wolf scat when we are out hiking...

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Take your dog to the vet...
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    +1~!!
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Can people get tape worms from dogs?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quickmajik..

Yes you can, but it is rare..read below..

Can I get a tapeworm infection from my pet?
    Yes. For a person to become infected with Dipylidium, he or she must accidentally swallow an infected flea. Most reported cases involve children. The risk of infection with this tapeworm in humans is low. The most effective way to prevent infections in pets and humans is through flea control. A child who is infected will usually pass proglottids (or what appears as rice) in a bowel movement or find them stuck to the skin around the * area.

Another less common group of tapeworms, called Echinococcus, is of increasing concern as a threat to human health. These tapeworms cause serious, potentially fatal, disease when humans become infected. Infection with this parasite is harder to diagnose than Dipylidium because the segments are small and not readily seen. Trappers and hunters in the north central United States and south central Canada may be at increased risk for infection with this worm when strict hygiene is not practiced. Foxes and coyotes (and the wild rodents upon which they prey) are important in the life cycle of this parasite. Dogs and cats may also become infected if they eat rodents carrying the parasite. When eggs of Echinococcus are passed in the feces of the dog and cat, humans are at risk for infection. Free-roaming cats and dogs may need to be periodically treated with tapeworm medication. Rodent control and good hygiene are important in preventing the spread of this disease to humans. As with the more common tapeworm, infection with Echinococcus is infrequent yet possible.
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    ecc, if you start draggin your * on the carpet..go to the doc...people can become infected too[;)][:D]
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of all the internal parasites that dogs can get, the tapeworm looks the worst and causes the least damage. But common dog dewormers that take care of most other parasites do not kill tapeworm.

Get the tapeworm specific product.

BlackRoses' post is correct. The flea tapeworm, and the other which is commonly caused by a dog eating an infected mouse.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    quickmajik..

Yes you can, but it is rare..read below..

Can I get a tapeworm infection from my pet?
    Yes. For a person to become infected with Dipylidium, he or she must accidentally swallow an infected flea. Most reported cases involve children. The risk of infection with this tapeworm in humans is low. The most effective way to prevent infections in pets and humans is through flea control. A child who is infected will usually pass proglottids (or what appears as rice) in a bowel movement or find them stuck to the skin around the * area.

Another less common group of tapeworms, called Echinococcus, is of increasing concern as a threat to human health. These tapeworms cause serious, potentially fatal, disease when humans become infected. Infection with this parasite is harder to diagnose than Dipylidium because the segments are small and not readily seen. Trappers and hunters in the north central United States and south central Canada may be at increased risk for infection with this worm when strict hygiene is not practiced. Foxes and coyotes (and the wild rodents upon which they prey) are important in the life cycle of this parasite. Dogs and cats may also become infected if they eat rodents carrying the parasite. When eggs of Echinococcus are passed in the feces of the dog and cat, humans are at risk for infection. Free-roaming cats and dogs may need to be periodically treated with tapeworm medication. Rodent control and good hygiene are important in preventing the spread of this disease to humans. As with the more common tapeworm, infection with Echinococcus is infrequent yet possible.

Thank you BR. This thread peaked my interests Because coyote and other predator scat is common around here, and my dogs are indoor/outdoor pets as are many of my neighbors pets..
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1

Take his poop to the vet in a clean jar. He can tell you in a few minutes and give you meds to clear it up.
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    A few types of worm parasite, not tapeworm, are pretty much endemic to dogs. One type migrates from the lungs to the digestive tract, one common symptom is a cough. When the worms migrate from the lungs to the stomach they tickle the throat. One symptom is a bloated stomach, especially in puppies. Dogs can cough or throw up a wad of mucus, that may contain adult worms. I've seen them cough up two different types. Most of the noticeable problems are with pregnant females, the parasites use the dogs own hormones to reproduce.

My dogs are hunters, I do a stool sample and check every year (sometimes twice a year), just in case. My Vet advises against prophylactic treatments, said the cure can be worse than the parasites. I don't know why exactly, but my Vet is hesitant to de-worm on a whim and only advises it when a stool sample shows up positive for eggs. Cases of human catching dog worms, are really rare.

Echinococcus multilocularis, is the one of the few that gives me the willies, most of the others may cause some grief, but are rarely very serious.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinococcus_multilocularis

Humans have their own endemic parasites, more common than you hear about.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This report gives the symptoms of tapeworm in dogs...

TAPEWORMS (Dipylidium caninum)

The tapeworm gets its name from its long, flat, tape-like appearance. It is yet another parasite that affects the intestines, and like the roundworm, can be seen by the naked eye. Broke pieces of this dog worm would be found in the dog's fecal matter, which give it a rice-like appearance. These pieces of worm, although broken, can be found (still moving) around the dog's *, in his stool or in his bed. Common symptoms of severe tapeworm infestation are abdominal pain, nervousness, severe itching around the *, vomiting and weight loss.

Transmission to dogs is often caused by the ingestion of infected fleas. Although, humans are susceptible to being infected, a dog cannot transmit the dog worm to a human directly.

Regular over-the-counter deworming medication is not effective in eliminating this type of dog worm. A prescription dewormer is administered orally or by injection (praziquantel or epsiprantel). Consult your vet. Try 1-800-PetMeds - America's Pet Health Resource