In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Where do you place your confidence?

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Yes, it is Sunday.[;)][:)] ...and yet another lesson that I've seen the Lord show me in my life. I really enjoy Hillman's short devotionals.

Where Do You Place Your Confidence?
TGIF Today God Is First Volume 2 by Os Hillman
Sunday, May 31 2009

"Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel" (1 Chron 21:1-2).

God always requires total trust in Him alone for our victories in life. Throughout scripture we are cautioned not to place our trust in the strength of horses, other men or our own abilities. David's decision to take a census was a failure to keep his trust totally upon the Lord.

David's purpose in counting his population was to assess his military strength, much like the second census taken under Moses (Num. 1:2,3). David found 800,000 men eligible for military service in Israel and 500,000 men in Judah (2 Sam. 24:9), more than double the previous head count.

David's commander evidently recognized the grave error that his king was about to make. "But Joab replied, 'May the LORD multiply his troops a hundred times over. My lord the king, are they not all my lord's subjects? Why does my lord want to do this? Why should he bring guilt on Israel?'" (1 Chron 21:3).

This census displeased the Lord. David was falling into the temptation of trusting in the size of his army rather than in the Lord. God punished David and reduced his forces by bringing a plague that killed 70,000 men (1 Chron 24:14,15). How do we do this in our lives today? We trust our bank accounts, our skills, and the security of our workplace. When we begin placing our faith in these things instead of the provider of these things we get into trouble with God.

What a lesson this is for each of us. Today, place your total trust in the Lord for all of your needs.

Comments

• tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    my confidence is in myself,with my Lord and savior Jesus Christ watchin over me[;)]
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    Not in a fairy tale
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Where do you place your confidence?

In my colt .45!
    but I do pray to let me be a good shot, and not kill any "Innocents'.

hey eric, I replied to your reply. did you get it?
    tom
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    quote:Where do you place your confidence?

In my colt .45!
    but I do pray to let me be a good shot, and not kill any "Innocents'.

hey eric, I replied to your reply. did you get it?
    tom

Yes and thank you! I've got to make a call first thing tomorrow morning...I'm hoping I can catch my rep before I leave for the day. Thanks again![8D]
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    my confidence is in myself,with my Lord and savior Jesus Christ watchin over me[;)]

+1
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    no problem.
    youre buying lunch![:D]
    tom
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    In my ability to use the many wonderful things that Mother Earth provides for us. The spiritual power that resides in all things can be used to make us better people and better neighbors.
    Evil does not reside in one central being. (Satan, or Lucifer) Evil lives in the hearts of all men, and women. We become better people as we learn to suppress and conquer those negative feelings, and urges. This is an ongoing, lifelong process. imo
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    no problem.
    youre buying lunch![:D]
    tom

My pleasure![:D][8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by k_townman
    In my ability to use the many wonderful things that Mother Earth provides for us. The spiritual power that resides in all things can be used to make us better people and better neighbors.
    Evil does not reside in one central being. (Satan, or Lucifer) Evil lives in the hearts of all men, and women. We become better people as we learn to suppress and conquer those negative feelings, and urges. This is an ongoing, lifelong process. imo

Sounds as if you are picking up on the Wicca stuff pretty quickly...I hope you find the peace your soul is searching for...that peace is out there for those who truly seek it.[:)]