In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Landscapeing question

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
When it rains I get a river running through the center of my yard which is washing out the area where my leach line for my septic is at.

How can I divert this water at about mid way point in my yard without it looking to bad?

I was thinking of useing RR ties to divert it part way and then digging a small trench along the outside edge of the dog kennel towards a creek bed.

By doing this it would really only look like I have my yard sectioned off with the RR ties at one spot.

Eventually my landlord said he will get out here and regrade the yard but it is going to be awhile before this can be done as it will be a major job to regrade my entire front yard (aprox 3/4 acre).

Comments

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not an expert but how about some raised beds. Start a garden out there. Grow some potatoes and veggies.

By the way, how much you paying for rent? Did a quicky search down in that area and found a couple houses.

$15K
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Chester_SC_29706_1107772477

$29K
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Lancaster_SC_29720_1105777010
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your small trench before the septic lines to divert in the answer. If you had a kabota tractor with a bucket a 5'wide trench about 1-2 foot deep would do it. Ask your LL if he would pay to have it dug, I could come up there with the tractor and dig the trench or grade the front yard. You then will have to replant your grass.[:0] If the cheapskate doesn't want to fix your septic system call DHEC and tell them you smell sewage. They will put the hurt on him. You've given him 2 weeks like I said when you called the other day.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Your small trench before the septic lines to divert in the answer. If you had a kabota tractor with a bucket a 5'wide trench about 1-2 foot deep would do it.
    A massey ferguson could never do it?
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may be illegal to use Rail Road ties for landscaping and fence post due to Creosote. Here in WV you are not suppose to use them and have known a few people that had to get them removed. RR ties will last for years as long as they are laid on a bed of ballast/gravel where water can drain from them quickly. Stick one in the ground or just lay it on the ground and it will rot within a couple of years to the point of falling apart.

French drains as mateomasfeo suggested works great and are easy to construct. Dig a ditch, put down a layer of landscape fabric and cover it enough to hold down the fabric with 57 (#2)gravel or Gable stones (big rocks). Rotor tiller works great for constructing a french ditch. Till down about 4 to 6 inches where you want the ditch. Pull the loose dirt back to form a berm on each side of the ditch and then lay down the fabric and gravel. A shallow wider ditch works better than a narrow deep one due to the water being spread out more causing it to run slower. Fast moving water in a deep narrow channel will cause more erosion.
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,019 ******
    edited November -1
    Listen to mattey, french drain
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure if I want to go as fancy as a french drain because we are eventually going to regrade the whole lot (which is the real correct way to fix this problem).

I am going to get a tracktor (old Ford with a scraper box and front loader bucket) here this weekend to assist with the temp fix and from there we are going to get aprox 20 yards of dirt brought in to start regradeing. But the bulk of the work is going to have to hold off untill we start getting a bit of dryer weather as right now everything is way to muddy to get it all done.

When all is said and done my lot is going to be totally different and I may even end up with about a 1/8th acre pond if I deside to dam off this small creek bed.

I think my yard will end up being pretty nice after all is said and done.[:D]
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a landlord, I would recomend that you let the landlord fix it. I have spent a lot of time correcting tennants repairs. It is often easier and better to fix it myself.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    As a landlord, I would recomend that you let the landlord fix it. I have spent a lot of time correcting tennants repairs. It is often easier and better to fix it myself.
    I understand what you are saying but if I wait for him to do a major prodject like this it may never get done.

Also when I fix something I do it right so it does not have to be redone.

I am picking up my landlords tractor today to start on it and I have desided to bypass the easy fix and go straight to the correct fix and regrade the whole lot.

First thing this morning I am going to run a laser and figure out the grade I want and start moving dirt from the high spots and tomorrow will be moving more dirt in.

I should have the whole lot done by monday or tueday and be ready to replant my lawn.