In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Computer Experts...Need Help Fast...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited July 2007 in General Discussion
My computer keeps restarting itself...all by itself. Do you have any idea why it might be doing so? It also loses my wallpaper (active Desktop) every time it restarts. I'll try to post a screen capture of what my screen looks like after it restarts. Do you think I have a virus/spyware/etc??? Thanks!

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it could be, but thats really to hard to say with the information you have given.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    That or bad hardware... try safe mode, no network. And if that works, safe with network, and download and run spybot and ad aware.

Or switch. www.ubuntu.com
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I cannot get the screen capture to upload to photobucket for posting. What could be causing this???? I REALLY cannot afford a computer crash right now!
  • swamp_thingswamp_thing Member Posts: 695 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also highly probable that the cooling fan on the cpu is plugged with dirt and lint and the processor is overheating. Might ought to open it up and blow out the cooling fins and fan.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    probably caused by a recent poof.
    edited November -1
    ....also, everytime it restarts, my history is gone...or atleast my history of topics viewed here on GB has disappeared...
    edited November -1
    When the computer shuts down, or restarts, abruptly it does not first save the history so you will lose it. It really sounds like an overheat problem to me. I used to build and repair computers and when this happens it is more often than not caused by heat.
  • IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Turn off active desktop then before it has a chance to reboot by itself you restart it yourself.
    edited November -1
    I assume this is Win98
    edited November -1
    If you can not get it to reboot by yourself before it decides to reboot you will need to go into safe mode and do it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IAMAHUSKER
    I assume this is Win98

XP...
    edited November -1
    Then you do not have active desktop. You have allow web page on your desktop. I have seek a lot of problems with active desktop was the reason I asked. You will need to go into safe mode like others have said and just let it run. Use the crap out of it and see if it does the same thing. If it does you can almost be sure it is something hardware wise. Like others have said check all the fans to ensure they are running normally. You can sometime go into bios to check fan operation and temp of CPU.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well?? does it work in BIOS? does it work in safe mode? when it's cooled off? gotta troubleshoot. step by step.
    edited November -1
    May take him a while to ascertain weather or not it will do the same thing in safe mode or not. I hate waiting!!
    edited November -1
    Nothing on a computer is worse it seems than when it shuts down before you can get the chance to see why. I find it is always better to crack it open and look for the simple fix than to chase a ghost. If he has a problem with dust or pet hair most likely a fan is plugged and either cant cool or can't run. We have one dog and one cat and together they guarantee that I will be cleaning fans and cooling fins at least once a year.
  • akfanatikakfanatik Member Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im an expert, this is an easy fix, start off with a good shake, then a light tap with a rubber mallet, if that doesnt work, move up to the ballpin hammer, after that just run some 7.62 through it
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    first thing to do is see how the computer works in BIOS.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by akfanatik
    im an expert, this is an easy fix, start off with a good shake, then a light tap with a rubber mallet, if that doesnt work, move up to the ballpin hammer, after that just run some 7.62 through it

I'm on another computer right now...just waiting to see if the 7.62 did the trick...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    first thing to do is see how the computer works in BIOS.

WTH is BIOS???...Over.
    edited November -1
    In bios he might not be able to tell much unless it also includes a log file of events. He also will not be able to work the processor enough to build enough heat to cause a reboot if that is the problem. Safe mode will (most times) work the processor enough to build the heat if it is a hardware problem. Motherboards and hardware vary so much now a days it would be hard for anyone to say unless more detail is given.
    edited November -1
    Basic input output system. When you turn your computer on you will normally see a black screen with white lettering roll on the screen. You will also notice it will say something like push f10,delete,f9 etc... to enter setup or bios.
  • hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by akfanatik

2 bmg rds work better[:p][}:)][B)][:D]
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Place "this side towards enemy" against computer.....
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Eric, do you grok "safe mode"?
    When your box is first restarting, and the xp screen is still moving the little bar back'n'forth; hit F12 (I think) several times to enter what I call, "selection menu".
    This gives you choices as to which mode it will start back up in.
    There should be several choices, like safe mode, safe mode with command prompt (in DOS), verify loading modules, etc.
    Safe mode is where the box only loads those devices it needs to run normally, and checks those devices one by one.
    After everything loads, it should start working "normally".

One other thing no one mentioned is your power supply; if it's about to go out, it can give varying voltage to the cpu,which treats voltage anomalies like keystrokes. (hope I've dumbed it up enough that even computer techies can get it).

LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS!
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My McAfee virus scan says there's a worm that causes it. Just one more possibility, but I dunno nuthin'.

http://us.mcafee.com:80/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=135491
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    random restarts that happen after the computer has booted into the OS typically are caused by a program crashing the system. Start in safe mode, command prompt, let it sit there and see if it reboots. If not, start safe mode regular and see if it does, if not while you are in safe mode regular, remove all items from your startup group and then start regularly and see if it reboots.

It could also be hardware, you'll know this if you start in safe mode command prompt and it still reboots - 99% it is hardware, most likely video card.

BTW: Startup menu that lets you choose safe mode is F8 - start hitting this as soon as you turn it on.
  • ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you already haven't...Disable Windows WGA!!!!

If you have automatic updates enabled Microshaft installed a program to shut down your computer.

I bought a new Compaq....on month 13 of owning it...Microshat shut it down with WGA.

I called Compaq/HP and they already had alot of complaints and told me to call Microshaft....Microshaft said that WGA sends your software key straight to their server when you go online....if they detect more than one person in the world online with that Software Key.....they disable the Key.....your software. No if's ands or but's...they won't even tell you they are sorry.

If some kid has the hacked version of Win XP...and uses a Key Generator program that picks your software key like a lottery number.....there now are 2 licensed versions on the internet and Microshaft will shut them both down....well in theory that's what they wanted.

But the hacked copy doesn't have Windows WGA.....only the copy you paid for. The hacker keeps his pirated operating system running with the Software key you paid for.

Your computer will be locked down by Microshaft themselves.

I bought an Apple...and never will go back.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Oldgunner said, it's either a Trojan Worm virus, or your hard drive just died. If you can't get it to boot in Safe mode, prolly the hard drive.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    What Oldgunner said, it's either a Trojan Worm virus, or your hard drive just died. If you can't get it to boot in Safe mode, prolly the hard drive.

I got an email for "American Greeting Cards" the other day and when I clicked on it, a Norton window popped up and said it stopped some kind of attack. I downloaded and tried a tool from Macaffee, but it did not seem to detect that virus Oldgunner was speaking of. I don't know what's going on here. I'm still able to use the computer, it just reboots itself every once and a while. I guess I need to get some compressed air and try to clean it out some...