In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bad check

MFinnMFinn Member Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
Here is an e-mail I got today, already sent the merchandise, I guess I trusted the wrong fellow.

I had a family emergency come up and had to pull some funds from my bank account when i checked my account the check i wrote you bouncde like a balloon If you will just re-deposit it on the 6th of july and it will be good then I appologize for the inconvience and hope to do business with you again in the future.

I got no use for folks like theese, I can report him to his county's DA, right and get him in trouble?

Comments

• Options
    Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does he seem legit in other mails though? Maybe its true, and he had a family emergency. I'd give him chance to make it up. I paid for a Micro SD card elsewhere and it didnt show up for two months... Email after email, Filed complaints with paypal got my money back etc..

The lady had a major car accident and had to get both legs amputated... She still sent the SD card and I still payed her.. Some times things just happen. If he was trying to scam you, I DOUBT he would take time out of his day to apologize and say he will make it right. Scammers have no feelings.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    YOU DO NOT WRITE BAD CHECKS JACOB!!! We talking about $60, if you are in that kind of shape, you do not need to shop at GB!
  • Options
    HobbyGuyHobbyGuy Member Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most states allow you to collect 10 times the amount of the original check. Check with your local clerk of the court, or contact an attorney. Although he technically advised you, it's still illegal and I'd bake him if he did it to me. Then again, I'm not a very nice guy, nor do I have any sympathy for people that spend money they don't have. [}:)]

Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HobbyGuy
    Most states allow you to collect 10 times the amount of the original check. Check with your local clerk of the court, or contact an attorney. Although he technically advised you, it's still illegal and I'd bake him if he did it to me. Then again, I'm not a very nice guy, nor do I have any sympathy for people that spend money they don't have. [}:)]

Jim

Excatly [:)]

Here is what I sent him back, so I am giving him a chance, he can go pawn his gun, I do not care.

oatmeal- If you wanna make it right you will send me overnight a postal money order (got to be here before Friday) and if my bank charges me something for your bad check, you will pay that too. I will change my feedback once you have paid, if I do not get the money, I will file with your county's DA for writing a bad check, trust me on this one. It is up to you now.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeez, I hope you never have a family emergency. Maybe the guy had to pull $10K out of his account for his emergency.

Give the guy a break. He said he'd make it good.

Are you so perfect that you can't allow for others mistakes?[:(]
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    theres a big difference between a frequent deliquent and an honest person who had a temporary problem.

who are you to say who should and shouldnt be shopping here. maybe they typically have a large amount of liquid cash that all of a sudden needed to be ledd liquid on a temporary basis(bail, medical bill that needed to be paid before the insurance would cough up, etc).

if its that big a deal, hang the guy out to dry. i just hope that somebody does the same thing to you when you have a short term problem that cause you to be in dutch.
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    Chances of getting a DA to do anything about this if very slim .
    Deposit the check next week and see what happens .
    Just the chances we take when we deal with the public .
    I'm trying to collect $600 right now .
    Don't like the taste of it either .[xx(]
    Good luck !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    Jeez, I hope you never have a family emergency. Maybe the guy had to pull $10K out of his account for his emergency.

Yes, I am, I do not shop unless I got money, I guess you do?
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Insufficient funds in an otherwise legimate account is not a fraud. Wait and see if he makes it good.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MFinn
    YOU DO NOT WRITE BAD CHECKS JACOB!!! We talking about $60, if you are in that kind of shape, you do not need to shop at GB!
    It was not a bad check. It was a good check, He had an EMERGENCY which caused him to have to draw money out of the bank.

Give him until the 6th.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    theres a big difference between a frequent deliquent and an honest person who had a temporary problem.

who are you to say who should and shouldnt be shopping here. maybe they typically have a large amount of liquid cash that all of a sudden needed to be ledd liquid on a temporary basis(bail, medical bill that needed to be paid before the insurance would cough up, etc).

if its that big a deal, hang the guy out to dry. i just hope that somebody does the same thing to you when you have a short term problem that cause you to be in dutch.

That right there above is BS. Are you folks that stupid, really? I guess there are more trash in these forums that I though.
  • Options
    stickem upstickem up Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this sounds like a civil matter and not criminal. where i live i couldnt imagine the police or DA spendng 2 seconds on a case like this.
    my dad had someone steal his identity and cash a check for $3,000 and the police told him to not even file a report.
    the best thing to do is wait until july 6th and if he doesnt pay then track him down and kill him.
  • Options
    edited November -1

He did have money. He had an emergency.

Say, I do not know if you are married.. But for example, Your wife was in an accident and the doctor told you, if you did not pay $5000.00 Out-of-pocket for her medicine, she had a week to live.

Would you let her die, and pay for an item on an auction site, or save your wife? Sorry. I am a man of my word, but would do exactly what this man did.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008

Say, I do not know if you are married.. But for example, Your wife was in an accident and the doctor told you, if you did not pay $5000.00 Out-of-pocket for her medicine, she had a week to live.

Would you let her die, and pay for an item on an auction site, or save your wife? Sorry. I am a man of my word, but would do exactly what this man did.
    Jacob, people use that as an excuse, just like death in a family, etc..

Also, I have insurance and I could pay the $5k if needed.
  • Options
    stickem upstickem up Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when i was working as a photographer i cant tell you how many models had a "death in the family" or some severe illness or car trouble the day of a shoot. it was weird, lol.
    when it comes to money people dont like to pay. they are called SCUM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have never had this happen on a gunbroker deal but, I have had to back out (at the last minute) of deals I had committed to.

Glad those people were more understanding.
  • Options
    edited November -1

I am glad you can. Some people can-not.

I say give him the 6 days.
  • Options
    edited November -1

I am glad you can. Some people can-not.

I say give him the 6 days.
    Nope, I gave him a chance to mail a postal MO by Friday, if I do not have it, he can keep the merchandise, but get a Neg feedback and what ever else I can do. Like I said he can go and pawn a gun or something.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have never had this happen on a gunbroker deal but, I have had to back out (at the last minute) of deals I had committed to.

He got the merchandise already. Did you have the stuff already? You stole it, huh? They understodd it, really? I admit it was my own fault to send the stuff before the check cleared.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is an e-mail I got today, already sent the merchandise, I guess I trusted the wrong fellow.

I had a family emergency come up and had to pull some funds from my bank account when i checked my account the check i wrote you bouncde like a balloon If you will just re-deposit it on the 6th of july and it will be good then I appologize for the inconvience and hope to do business with you again in the future.

I got no use for folks like theese, I can report him to his county's DA, right and get him in trouble?

Personally I figure you're out $60.00 - but as others have said, try again on the 6th. I think in order to collect greater than the face amount you have to prove fraud, as in, the account was long ago closed by the fellow who wrote the check. And you have to figure, if the guy can't cover $60.00, how are you going to get him to satisfy a civil (small court) judgement?

If the check bounces but the account is still active, I'd run it through a few times - find out when the check goes stale, give it a few well spaced tries. Assuming your bank doesn't charge you for it.

Then, I'd sign him up for NAMBLA and have the magazines sent to his address, along with S & M Daily and assorted wet and scatalogical magazines. [xx(]
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your fault for shippng first. teach you to wait for your money first. bottom line.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Seriously? Friday, when MONDAY is the 6th?

It wouldnt get to you until Tuesday anyways.. Might as well tell him monday (the 6th) and get it on wednesday.
    BUT, He has to have it in the mail, ONE business day before he said he can do it..

I guess I know not to buy from someone whom has the same view as you have on it.. An emergency comes up and you cant even give the guy until the sixth.. Sheesh!

Now, if the auction was a month or 15 days or whatever old, I could see where you are coming from.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mikko :
    Did he notify you before your bank notified you ?
    Roger
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by evileye fleagal
    your fault for shippng first. teach you to wait for your money first. bottom line.
    Yep, one has to pay for lessons [:)] Can't trust them all, now everybody will have to wait.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BUT, I do ask you keep us updated on what happens.
  • Options
    edited November -1

He got the merchandise already. Did you have the stuff already? You stole it, huh? They understodd it, really? I admit it was my own fault to send the stuff before the check cleared.

READ what I wrote...I said I had to BACK OUT of the deal. I got nothing...and neither did they.

And...in your own words, it WAS (partially) your fault for delivering BEFORE you got the money.

Relax, give him a few days , and go from there.

Most people that aren't going to pay won't bother emailing you. They just disappear.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007
    Mikko :
    Did he notify you before your bank notified you ?
    Roger
    Yes he did, I just checked online, it still shows deposited. Don't matter, it took him like two weeks to send the payment, one should not shop if one does not have money. This is the way I was taught.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should just go kick his *. Don
  • Options
    edited November -1

READ what I wrote...I said I had to BACK OUT of the deal. I got nothing...and neither did they.

And...in your own words, it WAS (partially) your fault for delivering BEFORE you got the money.

Relax, give him a few days , and go from there.

Most people that aren't going to pay won't bother emailing you. They just disappear.
    Right, that is different this feloow got my stuff already!
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...While Ive not ever bounced a check, I would have given the guy until the 6th and redeposited his check.

...All the uproar for $60 bucks, more time and trouble than it's worth, considering the report will never be acted on if the guy is out of State.

...IF I was that guy and I was telling the truth, AND the check would have been good on the 6th, after your em, I'd not give a second thought of sending you a MO; you have the check, cash it or don't...you'd not be getting an MO when you have the check...heck, you might be a scammer and take the MO and the check...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    I am not that tuff [:(] I could hire somebody [:D]
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bought sence is the best kind lets hope it dont cost you to much.
    from father to son an it did cost me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will for $60.00

NO CHECKS [:D]

If I were you, from now on,I would not accept personal checks for payment. Money order.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Work is slow right now .
    Give me his address ![:D]
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I won't pass judgment on you like some here, but I will try to answer your question. I had a similar situation several years ago from a customer that was out of state, and sent me a rubber check for $180. I took the check to MY DA, and he handled everything. I had my money in about 2 weeks, written on the DA's checking account.

If I were you, I would contact your local DA and see if the same rules apply in your situation.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I got not use for folks who write bad checks either, MFinn, but in this case, I'd give it till Monday. Don't know your relationship with your banker, but in the one case I received a bad check, mine called me and held it for deposit for a few days without charge.

Frankly if I'd received the email you sent, I would stop payment on the check and send you back whatever it was I had bought. I guess it just depends upon what you want. If you want the sale to go through as contracted, you have until Monday. If all you want is to thump your chest, you are well on your way.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    ...While Ive not ever bounced a check, I would have given the guy until the 6th and redeposited his check.

...All the uproar for $60 bucks, more time and trouble than it's worth, considering the report will never be acted on if the guy is out of State.

...IF I was that guy and I was telling the truth, AND the check would have been good on the 6th, after your em, I'd not give a second thought of sending you a MO; you have the check, cash it or don't...you'd not be getting an MO when you have the check...heck, you might be a scammer and take the MO and the check...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

I would take the MO and the check.

Make it his problem.

Eventually, I'd give him the money back - with MY check - and less any costs I incurred.

I have found that sellers here are very willing to work with you. I had a Commander on a 3 month layaway with SGC, and couldn't make the final payment on time. He extended the time at no additional cost, for a couple of weeks. He got the money, I got the pistol - and he earned a long-term loyal customer.

Locust Fork sold me a Model 29 - and told me to pay when I could. It was a LOONG time. She got the money, I got the revolver. You can bet I'll do as much business with her as I possibly can.

I think the key to those transactions was that I emailed and/or spoke with each of them at least once a week, during the whole process of the transactions.

Communication is a very important element.

Doug
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would give the guy until the 6th, err on the side of caution, maybe he is telling the truth.

However, it certainly is a criminal matter to write a bad check.

This is from the DA's web site in Mobile, Alabama:

Stop Bad Checks

Help us stamp out bad checks by reporting them.
    Help Us Stop Bad Checks

Writing bad checks is a crime. Help us stop it by reporting bad checks. We will go to work to recover your money. The person who wrote the bad check(s) will have to pay a fine to the District Attorney's Office and a victim's fee as well as make good the amount of the check(s). The fees are substantial ($94 per bad check) in addition to the fees businesses and individuals who receive bad checks may charge (up to $28 per check). These penalties usually convince people not to write bad checks in the future.

Checks We Can and Can't Help Recover
    Under Alabama law, we can only recover certain checks. We cannot help recover checks that were written for a lease or loan payment, or for a cash advance where a contract of any kind was signed. Such checks may be collected by filing a claim in small claims court. You may wish to consult your attorney.

We also cannot help recover checks that are stamped by the bank with STOP PAYMENT, IRREGULAR SIGNATURE, FROZEN ACCOUNT, FROZEN FUNDS, or FORGED. Checks that are stamped with IRREGULAR SIGNATURE or FORGED should be reported as forgeries to your local police department, the Mobile City Police Department or Mobile County Sheriff's Department.

We CAN help recover bad checks that meet these criteria:

* Recovery initiated by payee within one year of the check date;
    * Transaction took place in Mobile County;
    * No payments made on the check;
    * Check processed by the bank and stamped with one of the following reasons for its return unpaid: NSF, REFER TO MAKER, ENDORSEMENT CANCELLED, ACCOUNT CLOSED or NO ACCOUNT FOUND.

How to Start the Recovery Process:
    If the check is stamped NSF, REFER TO MAKER or ENDORSEMENT CANCELLED:

Use the U.S. Mail to send a certified notice (see below) with return receipt requested to the check writer. This notice must be sent to the address on the check and must give the check writer 10 business days from the receipt of notice to make the check good. If the check is from a business, the notice must be sent to the person who signed the check. A fillable pdf form can be used by clicking here.

Save the green card that will be returned to you by the post office after the notice has been delivered. You must give the check writer 10 business days from the day the notice was delivered to pay the check and the service fee to you. Do not accept less than the full amount requested in the notice because once partial payment is accepted it becomes a civil matter and cannot be criminally prosecuted.

If the notice is returned to you "Refused" or "Undeliverable", do not open it and, do not throw it away. Follow steps 3 - 5.

Fill out the Worthless Check Information Sheet with as much information about the check writer as you can provide. It can be printed or you can request a copy by calling us at 574-5775. After printing and completing the sheet, attach the check to the top left hand corner and the green card from the post office to the back.

Mail the completed form to us at P.O. Box 1605, Mobile, 36633, or drop it off at our office on the fifth floor of Government Plaza. If you would like to review the form with us or get any other assistance, we will be glad to talk with you by phone or to set up an appointment at our office. Our phone number is 574-5775.

Do not accept payment from the check writer once the check has been filed with our office. Payments must be made to the Check Enforcement Unit only. Under Alabama law, you must pay a $30.00 fee if you or someone from your business takes a payment on a check that is filed with our office.

If the check is stamped ACCOUNT CLOSED or NO ACCOUNT FOUND, a certified mail notice is not required. Follow steps 3 - 5 only.

After You Take These Steps, We Will Do The Rest.
    We operate with the full authority of the Mobile County District Attorney's Office and the laws of the State of Alabama. If, after 6 weeks, you have not received a check from our office, please call to determine the status of the recovery effort on the check(s) you reported. Also, if you would like a monthly print out concerning the status of your check(s), we can mail, e-mail, or fax this information upon your request.

How We Treat Bad Check Writers
    We are firm and polite in our enforcement of checking laws. Our Check Enforcement team members can help bad check writers who cooperate by arranging payment plans. They can also refer for counseling those individuals who need to learn how to be more responsible in their use of checks. In addition to working with people who cooperate, our Check Enforcement Team is also experienced in skip tracing, arresting, and prosecuting those who choose not to cooperate.

Helpful Hints That Can Speed Bad Check Recovery

* Obtain as much information as possible about check writers, especially a complete address.
    * Write the driver's license number of the check writer on the check.
    * Write the phone number of the check writer on the check.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some people just don't handle their business like they should. My bank charges me $20 for someone else's bad check. You should check to see if they are going to charge you and pass that fee onto the bad guy.

Right now I am dealing with someone that had a "lost payment" sent in the mail. I waited and waited on payment.....I got the FFL, but no payment after a week I sent an e-mail and they said it should have been here already. I let them know I needed them to check into things and get a second payment on the way. I waited ANOTHER 10 days....this makes 2 1/2 weeks and NO money. I got an e-mail this morning saying "I will send it out in the morning."

Great..... I only thought this person was a moron and now I KNOW they are.

I wouldn't be upset if this person had just told me "I get paid in 10 days and I will send payment asap"...but after some communication you get the feeling that you are being given the run around.

Its just part of dealing with the public. 99.999% of people are wonderful....but that itty bitty percentage of "not cool" ones are such a pain to deal with.

I appreciate my customers and I know there are "things" that come up...but after several e-mails to find this person hasn't sent the payment is aggrivating.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    8000fthi8000fthi Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A check can only presented twice, it is stamped for collection only and can not be represented to the bank. In my county in AZ if the check is returned for non-sufficient funds it can be turned over to the county attorneys office for collection, it is a crime to write a bad check. If the check was from out of your state you're probably screwed, From now on wait for check to clear.