In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wild fires are now out of control. Update

HobbyGuyHobbyGuy Member Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in General Discussion
We've got some nasty wild fires burning up our state right now. Three of them are in my favorite blue ribbon fishing grounds (Rock Creek). Twenty-two residents in the area are on standby for evacuation. The homes and ranches out there are absolutely gorgeous. I can't imagine them being destroyed by fire. It will be a terrible loss if it can't be contained soon. Some of my friends are smoke jumpers based here in Missoula and two are forestry officials that work with our local volunteer fire departments. I just received a call from the volunteer coordinator and I'm heading out the door in a few minutes. Wish me luck, it's going to be a scorcher today and this is only the fifth fire that I've been assigned to in the past year. Our temps have been in the upper 90's for more than 22 days and 11 days over 100. This could possibly become one of the worst fire seasons on record here. [:(]

Jim

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/07/31/news/mtregional/news06.txt

Update at 9:45 PM (gmt)

We lost the battle today. The high temps, the excess fuel and high winds beat the crap out of us and I can't tell when it will become contained. The home and ranch owners that we fought to protect today were all instructed to evacuate. It was sad watching people driving away with their most treasured belongings and pets, not knowing if they will come back to ashes or their homes. I don't remember ever being so tired in my life. My back hurts, my lungs hurt, my hands hurt, my legs hurt and worst of all, my eyes look like they're bleeding from all the smoke and ash. I have so much respect for full time firefighters. After ten hours with a pulaski, I realized how out of shape I am for that type of work (and why I only do this part time). I'm touched by some of the people that came up to me with tears in their eyes thanking me. It was hard to accept their thanks, as I felt that I'd let them down. [:(]

http://missoulian.com/articles/2007/07/31/bnews/br55.txt

I'm beyond worn out. Goodnight y'all. It will be interesting to see what I missed here today when I wake up in the morning. At least, I hope I wake up. [:D]

Jim

Comments