In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rare Colt Need Feedback ASAP

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
I have a govt model SN C177923, that has a slide that reads Marina Argentina COLT Automatic Calibre .45
Colt's PT.F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A.
PAT'D APR 20 1897/ SEPT. 9, 1902. DEC. 19. 1905. FEB 14. 1911. AUG 19.1913

Engraved on the bottom of the magazine well is KASC GBORO NC

I don't think the slide and the frame match according to the serial number. The gun is in 60% condition at best.

Does anyone have any idea as to the value??? I have a guy that only wants $500 for it...

Thank you.

Belinda

Comments

• Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    belinda,
    your serial number dates to 1934. you have a pre ww2 commercial model.
    calibre 45 was used on the right side of the slide from 1911 to 1942 (i think) and marina argentina was who contracte the guns.
    there are other pre war commercial models with mexican "names" and even some with "government" roll stamps.
    don't know what the mag stamp is, but I think the gun is original.
    tom
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    KASC GBORO NC ...may be the importer.

I think these were the "original" Colts that were made in Hartford by Colt then sent to Argentina, prior to Argentina taking over the production in 1927. Sounds as if issued to one of the Govt. agencies, maybe the Navy , as most of these were issued to Military and Govt. agencies.
    ..Barrel, slide/frame should match...mags rarely do and thats acceptable.

A lot of these were rearsenald. $500 sounds a bit high to make much of a profit. VG or EX condition MAY be $5-700 but, it's a small market niche for this particular gun. The Colt Sistema can be had for $4-600 in great shape...and is readily available...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    KASC GBORO NC ...may be the importer.

I think these were the "original" Colts that were made in Hartford by Colt then sent to Argentina, prior to Argentina taking over the production in 1927. Sounds as if issued to one of the Govt. agencies, maybe the Navy , as most of these were issued to Military and Govt. agencies.
    ..Barrel, slide/frame should match...mags rarely do and thats acceptable.

A lot of these were rearsenald. $500 sounds a bit high to make much of a profit. VG or EX condition MAY be $5-700 but, it's a small market niche for this particular gun. The Colt Sistema can be had for $4-600 in great shape...and is readily available...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

The blue book puts the value at $1000 in 60% condition for that serial number range.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    500 bucks. pass....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...I know your getting some conflicting info..but, do what you think is best...I gave you the "selling now" reality of the gun I "think" you are looking at by your description. RIGHT NOW, the price of Colts is depressed, not the value, but what your probably going to get, if you dont mind holding it for the economy to get better, not winter, but the economy, and maybe get $700, buy it...no pic, hard to say...but just trying to help...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    ...I know your getting some conflicting info..but, do what you think is best...I gave you the "selling now" reality of the gun I "think" you are looking at by your description. RIGHT NOW, the price of Colts is depressed, not the value, but what your probably going to get, if you dont mind holding it for the economy to get better, not winter, but the economy, and maybe get $700, buy it...no pic, hard to say...but just trying to help...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

Thanks!
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    werent argentine guns made w/o grip safeties?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...Robert, nope...the Colt Belinda is speaking of I think, was manf. in Hartford for Argentina, a contract Colt and is faithful to the Colts of that era.

The Model 1927 Colt Sistema was manf. in Argentina on Colt machinery is an exact 1911A1, all parts will change out between the two.

A "purist" would accept the one Belinda has as a "real" Colt while rejecting the Sistema/Colt as a clone...irregardless of the exact Colt specs/machinery/material...not a big market for the one she has, need the "right" person...the Sistema/Colt is a great value right now with prices depressed...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:The Model 1927 Colt Sistema was manf. in Argentina on Colt machinery is an exact 1911A1, all parts will change out between the two.

yep, richard knows his colts!
    the argentines also made a modelo 1916, which was a copy of the 1911 and licensed by colt.
    later on, for ww2, many other manufacturers made colts that were licensed by colt;
    remingtom, ithica, singer, and union switch, but I'm getting off topic.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...[:D] Tom not really, but thanks anyways...all my books are "get dirty and fix 'em" books, none of the nice Clawson books or other "Colt History" type books, wish I could afford one of them. Rufe snow & perry shooter have the practical experience and Colt History type books...Im trying to rely on practical experience and an old memory...[:D]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your input.
    I ended up offering him $400.00, the Army Surplus had offered him $350.00. He told them of my offer for $400 and they offered $450, so I let it go to them. The reason I was asking for input was the book value said 1000.00 for the SN range but I couldn't find anything on the Marina Argentina in the book so I wasn't sure if an unmatched slide. I did find this with a google search about the Marina Argentina but was unsure how reliable it was. Also the SN range didn't fall in line with the description.

http://www.sightm1911.com/1911Production.htm

8) Colt M1911 Argentine: S/N C6201 to C11621 = 1914, S/N C20,001 to C21000 = 1916
    S/N C86790 to C116000 = 1919 ( 321 shipped in 1914 marked on right side of slide
    with "MARINA ARGENTINA". In 1915 another 1000 shipped within above S/N
    range. In 1919 another 400 M1911 Colts shipped in above S/N range. Imported into
    the U.S. in 1960 as surplus but very rare in any condition.)

ANYWAY, thank you all so much for your input, I greatly appreciate it.

Belinda
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While not familar with who KASC is or was I can shed a little light on this . The gboro nc is goldsboro north carlolina During WW2 it was home to seymour johnson army field ,a training base for army aviator. it now serves as home base for the 4th fighter wing flying f15 strike eagles . Perhaps kasc was a pilot who purchased his own firearmm or retained his issue armafter the war . In either case you have a nice piece .
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pulsarnc
    While not familar with who KASC is or was I can shed a little light on this . The gboro nc is goldsboro north carlolina During WW2 it was home to seymour johnson army field ,a training base for army aviator. it now serves as home base for the 4th fighter wing flying f15 strike eagles . Perhaps kasc was a pilot who purchased his own firearmm or retained his issue armafter the war . In either case you have a nice piece .

Unfortunately, I don't. Based upon the advice given here, I offered him $400. He went to another shop in Sandpoint and they offered him $350...he called me up (without telling me what they had offered) and I told him I'd give him $400. He went back in and told them he had another buyer and they offered him $450. According to some stuff my wife found on line, this may have been a pretty rare Colt...and could have been worth some money. I just don't know enough about them to have gone very much higher...