In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

At the range today

powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
edited July 2004 in General Discussion
My brother and I went to the local range today. I brought the Enfield mk3, model 94 30-30, model 70 7mm wsm, and the Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag. My brother brought the AR-15 short number with a bushnell red dot. The AR-15 was fun but I'm still plaining on getting a AK variant. All went well and he was impressed as I was too. Untill I broke out the .41 before leaving. I recently worked a load up for it and zeroed it at 15 yards. Not to bad at that range but as I bought it to hunt with I wanted to see how it woud do at 50 meters. It was horrible![:(!] Shot way left.[V] Should I have expected this?

It has a 4 5/8 inch barrel. At first I couldn't even hit paper. I didn't make any adjustments as this is still a good shooter at 15 yards and if it's a secondary weopon then it should stay there.

sadie.jpg
Born To Hunt... Forced To Work... #@!#$!!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I found out that bumping up my load by .56 gn's changed everything. Opened up the shot group a bit. Didn't see the consistancy either. Does .57 gn's make that much differances for you guy's. I'm loading .41 mag with 210 jhp at 20.06 grains of h110. I was shooting 210 jhp at 19.5 grains of h110 with better results. Was it just me? These are being shot from a Ruger Blawkhawk with a 4 5/8 barrel. Does any body have any loads used with less powder? I'm not going below my reloading manual. It just seems more powder is producing more variables.

BTW anbody have any ideas on where to get another cylinder. I'm only happy with two of the chambers. Will a replacement purchased from Ruger be any better? Any body have and dealings in this area?

Born To Hunt... Forced To Work... #@!#$!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    At the trap/skeet range with some other GB members. Went to the pistol/rifle range first and did some shooting, didn't think to get any pictures there.

From left to right; Hairy, Harry III, Gail, Classico95 & Juju.

Picture135a.jpg

Classic095 & Juju patiently waiting their turn.
    Picture138a.jpg

Big Miss comming up.
    Picture140a.jpg

'Nuther big miss.
    Picture143a.jpg

Hairy on the line against Harry III.
    Picture144a.jpg

Perhaps more pictures later.

cowboypoint.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas

http://www.whyemier.1accesshost.com/
  • Options
    bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    With Mike standing up so straight, someone needs to put a 31/2 12ga. in his gun without him looking. It'll knock him over.[:D] Looks like fun.
    How close are those trees to the fireing line? Looks really close. I'm used to the club here, you shoot over a lake.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The trees are about 20 yds on the other side of where the clays would land when missed.. probably around 75 yds from the line...

Classic (the Ugly Biker)
    pig.jpg
    "I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where were the ladies at?

Looks like a fun day.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beautiful day. Nice looking range set up. And what a way to spend a day!!!

976371019-1.jpg "Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it." Lord Chesterfield
  • Options
    edited November -1
    pickenup.....

The ladies were back with Powdersmoke...except for Gail that is...

Gail is Hairy's daughter in law...

Hairys wife, myself and juju's wife were sitting and watching the guys shoot..
    WHile we were shooting pistols/rifles, there was no breeze,it was so hot and humid my goggles kept fogging up....and this was round 10ish to 12ish...
    between classic, powder and myself, we finally got my 10-22 set up the way "I" want it....

Shot the 45, the 9mm, the 380, another 45 that is a repair job, and the hornet...(revolver)...

HEy Powder, you never did say how you liked shooting that one...*LOL....

By the time we got to the trap/skeet range a slight breeze had come up, which of course the guys said was the reason they were missing....yeaaaaaa sure it is....
    Funny how Steve, a first time shooter of trap, pretty much showed you guys up, except for Harry III....
    We had a great time, and look forward to having many more fun times with Hairy and his wife, Harry III and his wife, Steve, Juju and his wife, Powder (next time bring your wife)....and anyone else who cares to join in...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    pickenup.....

Shot the 45, the 9mm, the 380, another 45 that is a repair job, and the hornet...(revolver)...

HEy Powder, you never did say how you liked shooting that one...*LOL....

Powder (next time bring your wife)....and anyone else who cares to join in...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

It got a kick, seemed accurate when Classic fired it, [}:)]dang thing musta had the sights knocked out of alignment by the time I got to it. Concussion will knock you over when your standing to the side as it's fired.[:0] Loved Hairy's M1895 Nagant,[:I] except for the trigger pull, very heavy even when fireing like a SA. Liked Hairys 1917 Lugar too, sweet, and accurate even in my hands at 10 yds.[:)]

Hairy's Springfield Trapdoor 45-70 was fun until we cracked the stock.[:(]

Many thanks to you Hairy for the fun of shooting your firearms. Dang, it was disappointing, you're not half as bad as some here make out.[:D] So far, that has not been my wifes kind of thing.[V]

cowboypoint.jpg

• Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Son and DIL coming back in December; will do it again then. JuJu--lovely wife--how did you con her into marrying you? Powdersmoke--wonderful job on those grips; they look great.

I was able to get my older friend to shoot the Springfield and a Luger. He seemed to enjoy the experience altho he was concerned about his pacemaker being damaged by the 45/70 recoil. Was still okay later, so I suspect nothing happened.

Bottom line: Great day with great people. I thank you all! [:D]

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    who's the guy in the overalls? he lifted his back foot when he shot! boooo! of course he missed!

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:I]Oh yea...sometimes I forget to say so.[:I] Much thanks to Juju for his generosity and kindness. Much thanks to everyone else for a great day.[:)][8D][;)]

cowboypoint.jpg

• Options
    jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    bsally, I always stand straight when I shoot and I guarrantee you that a little ol' 3 1/2 12ga wont even move this old man.

I shoot 300winmag 40 to 60 rnds a pop and never even flinch.

Hell I shot 75 rnds of 12 today and woulda shot more cepting for everybody had to go.

MY firend Steve (who's wife revcently passed away had never shot before and smoked all of us. I told him he would do well as he is the best reflex shooter I have ever seen.

He had a great time(but was nervous as heck before we got there) and would like to do it again.

As usual Hairy and Classic are a blast to be around and Hairy is getting better at trap every round he shoots.

All in all a lot of fun, some good shooting (including a springfield trapdoor with BP loads, a german Luger and of course TRAP[:D][^]

BR, always a pleasure to see you and Mrs Hairy. YOu ladies are nice, funny and BR you can SHOOT!!!!

Powder, seeing you again reminded of the fun we had last hunting season, hope to do that with you again as well.

JuJu(who says the company makes the drive worthwhile[^][^][^])
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for sharing the pics...it's nice to put a face with the name![:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bobski...
    THe guy in the over alls is my hubby Classic...he wears overalls ever since his cancer surgery and was cut from stem to stern as the saying goes....

As for lifting his leg when he shoots, that is his stance, seems to work for him since he shot trap in KY and here as well...Did very very well in KY ...as he does here...So, whatever works...

OF course Powder says he missed, Powder says everyone misses...*LOL
    But I didnt miss did I powder?....[}:)][}:)]
    cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey...as long as you all had fun....and hit all 25 all the time![:D]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    ....OF course Powder says he missed, Powder says everyone misses...*LOL
    But I didnt miss did I powder?....[}:)][}:)]
    cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Coursin' I said ever'one missed caint have uens shootin' better'n me.[;)]

cowboypoint.jpg

• Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All we got to see was their back sides. Hairy is that gray a sign of wisdom or does it come with age?

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    96Harley: Both. Started turning gray in early 30's; wisdom (if any) came much, much later. [:D]

Used to use Grecian Formula but quit. Stuff tasted terrible.[;)][}:)]

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAIRY, they BROKE your 45-70???

P.S. Your not supposed to eat it. [}:)] [;)] [:D]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote: HAIRY, they BROKE your 45-70???

Yep, sure did.

Harry III was shooting (he is a good shot as well) and I was spotting for him. Was shooting bowling pins at 100 yds when 2 of his shots were waaaay off to the right.

I said, wait a sec, something isnt right, I though maybe the sights had moved, took the gun and noticed that the stock had cracked deeply right across the wrist[:(] END OF SHOOTING FOR THAT RIFLE at least that trip.

Good thing is nobody got hurt which could have happened if another round had been fired.

We were shooting BP loads for the trapdoor carbine (which it was), man that thing is accurate and fun to shoot[^]

JuJu(who cant wait to shoot trap again with those good people)
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Looks like fun.

Larry
    binladen.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ifn It was a compitition shoot, you can bet your bustle that I would be using the proper stance, but I like to snap shoot a lot, like walking in the woods and a bird jumps,, no time to have your feet aligned and your gun at the ready,, when I snap shoot , I holler PULL, then bring the gun up and lean into the shot.. 80% hits from snap shootin aint to bad.....

I know there are some good shooters out there, but clowning around I can stand up with most......

Classic (the Ugly Biker)
    pig.jpg
    "I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • Options
    deer_sniperdeer_sniper Member Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey where do u guys live??[?][?][?][?][?][?]
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    They live in my ex home state, Flarduh!!

topcat1.bmp Don't "F" with kitty!! unamerican.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so what were all you guys shooting on the trap squad?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I shoot just like Classy! Cept' I average 21+.[:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    doe..............the guns boys, the guns! not the scores! anything other than 25 is a losing score anyway! [:D]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    S'cuse M' moi!!

• Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Looks like a lot of fun. I miss our local trap field.I'll definitely look you guys up next time I go to Coco.I think I have a full choke for the 28 gauge.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Hairy, powder, classic, BR, & juju; I hope to head down to FL later this summer or early fall after we get my late friends estate taken care of. If I do I hope to maybe get with all of you to do some shooting in as well. I am bringing several guns down with me.

Hairy, if the 45/70 is cracked in the wrist, concider fixing it the way they did in the 19th and earlier centuries. Wrap a sheet of copper around the cracked wrist, beat it to form fit, and then tack it in place with brass tacks. I have seen many an original long gun fixed exactly like that from as early as the 17th century! Another way I have seen them fixed is with either copper or brass wire wrapped around them. Also seen many a forearm fixed with rawhide and tacks! Hate to see a good gun crack but that is part of those "buffalo" guns!

That looks like a good trap range. Do they shoot registered targets there often? Thanks for sharing the pics with all of us.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jjm60: Thanks for the advice on the stock repair. I took it to the gunsmith yesterday and he said he can fix it.

Gayle is having her Winchester modified by putting on an adjustable butt pad and a center bead (girl is getting SERIOUS about trap!).

If you're in the neighborhood, let us know and we can get together--I know Classic & BR would probably join us in popping off a round or two. [:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:If you're in the neighborhood, let us know and we can get together--I know Classic & BR would probably join us in popping off a round or two

Hey!!!!, what about me? I would definately be there if jj is comming.
    I have met him before and would love to see him again.

But , I guess I aint invited[;)][:(]

JuJu(the ignored)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by juju
    But , I guess I aint invited[;)][:(]

JuJu(the ignored)

Juju, you aint never had to be invited. You alway "crash"[:D][:D]

cowboypoint.jpg

• Options
    edited November -1
    JuJu: Trying to be considerate of your driving the distance--again, NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED. Of course you are welcome--ANYTIME.[:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Jujukins....

quote:But , I guess I aint invited

You are always invited...cant break up the three stooges ya know....

Still havent figured out who is who....*LOL...Well I know who the Larry is, its the Curly and Moe end of it...but now, we may have to find another name,...after all, Steve might be coming on Thursdays nights....but I guess thats up to Capt to name ya'll...He did give ya the first one...*LOL

TO EVEYRONE ELSE..

Anyone is invited...I know I can say that for almost anyone, there is really no host to these things, so no invitations are needed...

If you want to come, you are more than welcome...As the old saying goes, the more the merrier...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion