In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How ECC Got the VA to respond.

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited June 2011 in General Discussion
This happened at the VA Center I go to, and I have beenvery irritated at some of the counter people there. Nurses and Doc are not bad.

quote: There was cause for alarm Wednesday off of River Road in Eugene when police say a retired veteran got in an argument and took out a loaded gun.

It was potentially a very dangerous situation, but fortunately conditions were just right for a quick response.

Witnesses say they felt like they were in the middle of a war-zone Wednesday when EPD and SWAT swarmed to arrest an armed gunman.

They evacuated some businesseses and told people to stay inside their homes.

Police say Milan Boon, 71, of Creswell threatened staff at the Veteran Administration Clinic on River Road with a shotgun.

When officers arrived, he was arguing with police with the gun in hand creating panic around the busy shopping area.

The SWAT team was out on a training excercise at the time dealing with situations like this one, so they responded quickly by employing distraction tactics to diffuse the situation and take down the gunman.

"All of a sudden I heard this noise and the biggest boom. I saw the explosion. Then they all rushed in and it seemed to be over," said Scott, a witness who didn't want to give his last name.

The situation got even more tense when witnesses say they heard those explosions, and some worried the man fired the gun.

It turns out the explosions were part of the drill to distract the man using a sound-light diversion device along with less lethal rounds.

Police took Boon to the hospital for evaluation.

He faces several charges related to menacing, unlawful use of a gun and disorderly conduct.

Comments