In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Case knives blade marks

wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
edited August 2004 in General Discussion
Does anyone know how to read the markings on a Case knife blade
I picked up a Barlow marked Case XX ***SS***
The S look like lightening bolts and I know that change was made in 1980 but I'm not sure about the SS in the dots I'm assuming that each S means 10 years so it means 2004. Am I right or am I way off base here

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."
- Max Lerner

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    1980s, still had the dot system for numbers of years.. starting with 1980 ten dots,, removing a dot for each year after,, SS indicates stainless steel.. .....SS.... would be 1981, and so on..

dictated to me...I just typed it....

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Lil Stinker I wasn't sure about the date and thought I'd ask
    It was part of the stuff I bought last night at the auction. Also picked up a like new Queen Cutlery Barlow marked Queensteel #22 etched on the blade and crown over Q 76 stamped in the tang. Any thoughts on that ones age

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."
    - Max Lerner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Queen is 1976, should be made of winterbottom bone.. if its bone??
    22 is the pattern number for that knife..The Q76, was the only year marked that way.. they are currently made by servotronics, since 1969..

Here is a Case site.. http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=449615&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Also have a Queen Steel #38 marked Q76 A nice little 3 blade that I might just keep as it is like new as well. I bought a total of 42 knives plus 5 boxes of holsters and grips and the 2 pistols

- Max Lerner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Queens rate very high on the collectors list,, however be carefull in dealing with them,, they turned a lot of seconds loose on the market.. and unless you know what your looking at, you might get taken...But it sounds as if you have two good ones...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion