In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Holey" bullets claimed to go faster?

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
Always a new novel approach for that extra distance!

serf

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/12/06/bullet-compensator-compbullet/

The CompBullet is an interesting bullet made by an Italian company. The bullets, made from a solid copper alloy, have vents machined into them. According to the company, these vents reduce friction by allowing gas to lubricate the bullet as it passes through the barrel and then act as a muzzle brake as the bullet exits the barrel. They apparently also reduce smoke, increase velocity (a rocket effect as they leave the barrel) and reduce muzzle flash. In other words, they are miracle bullets.

Comments

• Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the link. I had not read about them before. Very interesting.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******
    edited November -1
    miracle and magical. When sprites and elves shoot them they create supernovas.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

Nope it's black holes,don't you know! [:D]

serf
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,486 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cavity increases slightly the volume into which the powder gas will expand which will decrease ever so slightly the pressure pushing the bullet, reducing velocity.

The radial holes will bleed off pressure, also decreasing ever so slightly the velocity of the bullet.

The 'Rocket Effect' will be expended both radially and axially, and it is doubtful, IMO, the expansion of the gas trapped within the bullet cavity would compensate for the velocity lost as noted above.

The lubrication effect of the gas is suspect in that the gas will inevitably end up in the rifling grooves, and not between the bullet and the lands. If it did force itself between the bullet and the lands, one would think that accuracy would suffer greatly.

I don't think I'll be buying any of these.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that this could be an aerodynamic nightmare. I would like to see some 100 yd groupings.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    40sw_2-tm-tfb.jpg

they are in Italy? I know what happened

st-peters-basilica-6.jpg

they were walking past this one day and suddenly "omg! Freddie! wait! I have an idea! ..."
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

Sounds like the hype in an old Herter's catalog doesn't it?
    Anyone remember their "Wasp Waist" bullets? Lucky if you could hit the side of a barn with one, from the inside!

wasp003.jpg

And it's looks like Berger put a new spin on it.

ripple04.jpg
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    whaaaat?? I'm not an engineer but if anything that should slow it down by creating drag.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    Sounds like the hype in an old Herter's catalog doesn't it?
    Anyone remember their "Wasp Waist" bullets? Lucky if you could hit the side of a barn with one, from the inside!
    wasp003.jpg

I've got two partial boxes of those out in my shop somewhere. My Pop claimed to love them, but everything I've read about them says he mis-rememebered.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember the tubular 38 Special bullets PMC was selling a few years ago? I heard ATF banned them as AP. I have a partial box of those somewhere but never tried them.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Holey bullets! Blessed by the Pope!