In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Curse of Ham...lame excuse for Racism

mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
edited October 2006 in General Discussion
In the middle ages, European scholars of the Bible picked up on the Jewish Talmud idea of viewing the "sons of Ham" or Hamites as cursed, possibly "blackened" by their sins. Though early arguments to this effect were sporadic, they became increasingly common during the slave trade of the 18th and 19th Centuries. The justification of slavery itself through the sins of Ham was well suited to the ideological interests of the elite; with the emergence of the slave trade, its racialized version justified the exploitation of a ready supply of black African labour. This interpretation of Scripture was never adopted by the African Coptic Churches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Ham

It's not too late to join the Army of Arkadian Reparations...

Comments

• Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know, on my bible study board some dude keeps posting about chokes and shot patterns and drop-free magazines.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln
    You know, on my bible study board some dude keeps posting about chokes and shot patterns and drop-free magazines.

Ask him to post here some. Don
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1

Im sure I read about shot patterns in the Bible. Leviticus maybe.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [8D] Just be glad I keep this stuff in Politics and General Discussion (where less than a quarter of the threads are firearm related)[}:)]

Race is an illusion
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod

Im sure I read about shot patterns in the Bible. Leviticus maybe.
    You have.

Leviticus 182:12-14 states:

quote:If a man be smart, he would use the proper choke configuration for thy shotgun. Patterning is of great importance, and failure to use a proper choke is sinful. If a man acts in such a sinful manner, he should be put to death, preferably by thy shotgun that he sinfully mischoked.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Homer, the Bible says 'That which you do unto the least of my brothers you do unto me.'"

"Yeah, but doesn't the Bible also say 'Thou shalt not take moochers into thy hut'?"

---I mean, as long as we're quoting the Bible
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I've heard that David could get sub-MOA groups with his sling
  • Options
    edited November -1
    +1

by the way

When I first heard of this Dark part of history I thought it had somthing to do with eating Pork.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    If people would read the WHOLE old testament and not just a part of it they would see that Ham was the father of the Philistines, there is nothing to say that God turned him black
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The source of the "curse of Ham" theology comes from Book of Genesis 9:20-27, which deals with the story of Noah's family, soon after the flood:

20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard: 21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent. 22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without. 23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness. 24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him. 25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren. 26 And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant. 27 God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.

Note that nowhere is Ham cursed for his actions, but only his youngest son Canaan; hence the very phrase "Curse of Ham" is actually a misnomer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Ham
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    The curse of Ham is no misnomer.

when I eat ham I get gas BAD!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny, it doesn't sit too well with me either.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    While we're Hamming it up, did you know that most religious customs for eating, processing and serving meats were brought about due to spoilage and its' associated gastric distresses?
    I'm thinkin' that's why almost no one ate pork on the second try.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Someone's eating a lot of pigs, cause there seems to be a lot of Pig Farmers around here[}:)]
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    gunnut - many of the non-kosher foods have sound medical reasoning behind them... the bad pork, iodine allergies or red tide like poisoning from shellfish, if you mix meat and milk in your stomach, the enzymes that digest one are cancelled by the enzymes that digest the other so one spoils in your tummy for a few hours, etc.
  • Options
    texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And the Lord saith, " Sam, verily verily I saith unto you, eat thy green eggs and ham, for they are good".

My understanding is that Sam didn't, and thus the curse. Of course, i could be wrong. i do seem to remember that a doctor cleared this up sometime later....
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername
    gunnut - many of the non-kosher foods have sound medical reasoning behind them... the bad pork, iodine allergies or red tide like poisoning from shellfish, if you mix meat and milk in your stomach, the enzymes that digest one are cancelled by the enzymes that digest the other so one spoils in your tummy for a few hours, etc.

Good info... but are the pork restrictions merely because of the chance of bad pork, or are there other scientific reasons?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrseatle
    [8D] Just be glad I keep this stuff in Politics and General Discussion (where less than a quarter of the threads are firearm related)[}:)]

Race is an illusion

You must not be a NASCAR fan. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    quote:Originally posted by mrseatle

Race is an illusion

You must not be a NASCAR fan. [:D]

Those are fighting words, I love racing in all it's forms. I've been crashing motorcycles since I was 5. My mom had to replace my little green STP minibike with a bigwheel, then she took that away for what she thought was dangerous driving.[}:)] Right now I researching for info on the new Rocket Racing League.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...man, I'm a joo, and I have never met a pork chop I did not like,[:p]...sorry mom...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator
    ...man, I'm a joo, and I have never met a pork chop I did not like,[:p]...sorry mom...[;)]

I'm sure Herod the Great loved Italian bacon too. And he knew Race was a Sinful illusion.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spanielsells, I have long taken great solice from Laviticus 187:16: Forget the hatch, fish the Adams.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bloviator

ani-texas-flag-1.gif

What is the definition of a Jewish Delima......FREE PORK.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No such thing Cartod. Pork is government funded and therefor costs 14x what it would on the open market.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ..no "delima" for me! I like all pork...[:p]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif