In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun storage

RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
Does it hurt to store guns upright on their barrels instead of on the butt ? I can get more in the safe by doing it both ways. I mean if i had any Guns.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I need to store a rifle long term. I want to put it in the attic inside a gun case. What preparations do I need to do before The rifle is stored. The attic is not controlled so it's cold in winter and hot in the summer. Thanks for ideas
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody have any experience with the anti-rust bags for long term storage of firearms? Several places sell them and state the military uses them instead of cosmoline. I think the brand I was looking at is called "Pro-Techt" and sold by Cheaper-Than-Dirt.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...IF, you had any guns, I'd tell you several reasons I would not store guns that way, but since you don't...just be wasting my time.

...BUT! I'll spring for one reason...guns are more easily detected stored muzzle down, when they fly over in their black helicopters equipped with BGT's...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No reason not to. Matter of fact, with wooden stocks, can help keep oil from soaking out of action into stock.
  • Options
    screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    If I had any guns to store I would break them down and store them in the freezer like I do with my ammo. There are many benefits to doing it this way:
    1) no gun oil to stain the stock
    2) in case of break in a theif won't look in freezer for firearms
    3) very low risk of fire
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    ...IF, you had any guns, I'd tell you several reasons I would not store guns that way, but since you don't...just be wasting my time.

...BUT! I'll spring for one reason...guns are more easily detected stored muzzle down, when they fly over in their black helicopters equipped with BGT's...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

WTH?
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    No it does not hurt to store them barrel down. Yes, you can get a lot more room by storing them barrel to stock.

When I used to have guns I would pull a sock over the stocks to protect them and stored them staggered barrel to buttstock.

Then there was the day of the tragic boating accident.[V]

I should have known better than to bring that safe out on the boat.!
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:WTH?

...Didn't catch the sarcasm there did you?

...All the "boat accidents...fires...tornados...stolen guns, etc..." Asking a gun question then punctuating the question with "For all the Government people keeping track of my guns, I'm going to throw you a curve ball with this next sentance", hello!

..."I don't have them anymore"..yeah, that will trick bleen the Government alright...I know that if I was gathering intel to later "grab guns"..the 'ol guns went to the bottom of the lake would throw me off track...[:D]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif