In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A Football question, Pete Carol

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited January 2006 in General Discussion
Okay, I've never liked USC, but I have a lot of respect for Pete Carol, and I think USC has a heck of football program.

That being said, we know Carol has signed an extension and will be at USC next year. My question is,

How long, if ever, will it be before Carol goes to the NFL as a head coach, and will he have success or will he find the same problems that took Spurier back to the NCAA?

Jimmy Johnson did well coming from the NCAA, but it took him several years to figure it out, and he said after his second year, that the NFL was a completely different animal and he had no clue it would be so different.

I think Carol is a great college coach, and should stay at the NCAA level. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He has already been there once as a head coach and it didn't work out too well for him. You know he got several million per year in that contract, and has a great situation going for him. I think he is also about 55 years old, so if he waits more than 2 or 3 years, I wouldn't be too sure many NFL teams would take a chance on him again. If it took him a couple more years to adjust to being back in the pro league, he might be getting close to retirement by the time he was ready to be effective.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same reasons as above,,,has it made wheres he is at...Resonable guy would not go back to the NFL..mm8nambu
  • Options
    WarMongerWarMonger Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pete carrols daughter is HOT !!!!
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He has already been there, done that, and wore out the T-shirt he got doing it.

However, after Texas beats his team next week he might consider another line of work.[:D]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I think the reason Steve Spurrier didn't stay in the NFL was more a result of media pointing out that he wasn't married to the job, then combine thta with a sub-par record and naturally the management wanted someone a little more devoted to the job. Had he had a year or two I suspect the record would have improved and he would have become successful at the pro level.
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    he coached a very bad jets team,more known for his super bowls as def.corrinator with 9 ers.he is probally lou holtz great college coach but that is it.