In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 710 cal 270

camodudecamodude Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
Was thinking of buying one for part time southern pig hunting .
Any advice on one ??Good?Bad? junk? Whats the best ammo to use out to 150-200 yrds . 710 seems to be a decent choice for shipping back and fourth from lower florida to ohio . I wouldnt want to take a nice rifle that could be damaged in shipping .

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    trigger guards are plastic and part of the stock, have a tendency to break off.

generally regarded as one of the worst rifles ever made by Remington.

My advice - Savage w/an accutrigger.

JMHO
  • Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have only had the 700 myself. BIL had a 710 and the stock broke. No aftermarket stock found yet. Shot OK if your standards aren't super high.

150 gr. 165 gr. 140.gr 130 gr. All are ok. I prefer the 140's.
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Loaf tells no lies. While I must admit to you I've never shot one, there hasn't been alot of raving reviews on it. Like loaf says, get the Savage Accutrigger, it's not much higher than the 710, and alot more bang for your buck. Pun intended.[;)]
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pass on it. Had one when they first came out to keep as a truck gun. POS IMO. Crappy bolt and stock.

Go with a basic Savage with the accutrigger (even Wally World carries them)...that is the one I bought my brother for his birthday in 270 and he loves it.

He uses 150 grain for deer in Arkansas.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,017 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cccooper
    Have only had the 700 myself. BIL had a 710 and the stock broke. No aftermarket stock found yet. Shot OK if your standards aren't super high.

150 gr. 165 gr. 140.gr 130 gr. All are ok. I prefer the 140's.
    Why not the 770 stock ?
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=507008
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    absolute crap
    buy a savage or a 700 or dont waste $
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All Remingtons suxx but from what I hear this suxx more than most
  • Options
    camodudecamodude Member Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys ! My buddy called me last night and told me a walmart about 30 mn drive south has marlins xl7 for 249.99 . [:)] Guess i'll grabe one of those to take to florida and shoot some hogs !![:D]
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by camodude
    Thanks guys ! My buddy called me last night and told me a walmart about 30 mn drive south has marlins xl7 for 249.99 . [:)] Guess i'll grabe one of those to take to florida and shoot some hogs !![:D]

I still prefer the Stevens or Savage route esp. for future DIY projects but the Marlin XL7 is a very good choice over the 710. IMHO, here's a very nice review of the XL7 ...

http://tinyurl.com/4244msq

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Our work here is done guys, another critical mis-purchase averted.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor
    Our work here is done guys, another critical mis-purchase averted.

Well said! [^]
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reddnek
    All Remingtons suxx but from what I hear this suxx more than most

Now that's funny, in an "I don't know what I'm talking about" kind of way.[:o)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    while it is not my cup of tea if i was to use 3 to 4 times a tear and could pick it up for 200- 250 i would take a chance i am sure it would kill a deer or hog. after the 250 dollars other options are available that are much better a stevens 200 a marlin xl7 even a mossberg atr which can be ha at wally for under 3. for the price i mentioned for the 710 it makes a nice backup gun if decide not to go that course.