In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MP 40's

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in General Discussion
Does anyone know if there are firing replica's of the German MP-40? I'd love to get my hands on one sometime as I'm a collector of WWII firearms.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    A Japanese company used to produced a functional MP-40 (and others) that fired special 8mm blanks. These replicas were intended for theatrical use (the blanks gave a bigger flash than a normal 9mm Parabellum round would have generated) and are hard to find on the open market.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a movie prop gun that is available once in a blue moon that was banned because it could be converted to a full auto actual firing weapon by simply adding a "real" barrel.

Those run about 1/2 what a real mp40 goes for. Mp40's are really reasonable right now. I would say you can find them in the sub $10K price range.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are soft air guns available. I have also seen several places that rent full auto ones. I just saw one in Lake Havasu City last week that cost fourty-five dollars for thirty rounds.
    They also had the first PPSH 41 I have seen for rent. I actually decided to fire that one but the guy that needed to go in the range with you was out to lunch. At least I saved fourty-five dollars.
  • Options
    drsckdrsck Member Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    There have been a few companies that attempted to make semi-auto mp38/40s, but I'm not certain that any of them are still in business. There were at least three problems: 1) the feds were never very happy with the idea of a semi-auto that looked like the real thing even though the parts were not interchangable--for them it's as much about "looks" as function; 2) they were relatively expensive costing 2K-3K; and 3) the early production models often didn't function very well. Every so often one will turn up on GB, so if you really want one, keep watching. The final point is that even though the semi-autos look like the real thing, they don't feel like the real thing when fired. If all you really want is the experience of firing one, you might try getting to the nearest machine gun shoot. These events sometimes offer "rentals" that will get you the experience without the necessity of having really deep pockets. However, be prepared to pay anywhere from $100 to $500 plus the cost of the ammo for the experience.
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Inter-Ordnance (I O Inc now) had been promising a "stock locked closed" PISTOL MP40 for years.

They started a semi-auto replica MP44, but there was a small number of guns imported, and quality control was garbage, Jerry Prasser from Recon Ordnance rescued the project and put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into making them work and making them right, especially when it came to the 922r US parts.

After that debacle, no one has thought about the MP40 thing again. HOWEVER, all hope is not lost as the PPS43 PISTOL, with fixed closed stock in 7.62x25mm is very popular, well made and CHEAP! <300 bucks from Centerfire Systems and elsewhere. With the hardware from a PPS43 parts kit, avail for 150 bucks all over the place, a very reasonable SBR can be fabricated (yes, with all required permissions and approvals) and I've even made a few MGs on them. Pretty fun and LOUD!

The other bright spot on the horizon is that GSG is working on an MP44 .22 rifle which looks and HEFTS like the real thing, and are reportedly thinking about doing a .22 MP40 PISTOL too. Imported through ATI of course.
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GSG was suppost to come out with a semi MP40 replica in .22 early this year but did not. Mabe next year.
  • Options
    realspeedrealspeed Member Posts: 6,335
    edited November -1
    Funny u mention this gun... i was lucky today and got to shoot one.... really slow fire i love it
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just about to say Jimmy got to shoot one today!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com